It’s Official: Generator Ban Passes in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
? Not sure I understand—he gave some numbers to argue with. I’m not sure about them, they seem off, but I am not sure I care enough to check them.
I did some very basic and probably flawed research, but concerning 747 emissions he is off on his numbers by well over one order of magnitude. Unless he is talking about per passenger, which he didn't state.

Grams, kilograms, liters, pounds, tons, units matter. It's what happens when political science majors try to play at being engineers.

Yes. Than a modern passenger car with multi-stage cats, fine computer control over timing and fuel injection, and now particle filters on some gas cars? Versus a small engine with a carbeurator, probably set to run lean (thus high NOX emissions) and no fine control, no cats, no EGR, no anything. So yeah, small engines are far, far, far more polluting than cars. Electric mowers/leaf blowers/etc have been the norm in other countries for years. When I visited some friends in Germany I even commented on this, and they had never in their lives seen a gas powered lawnmower or leafblower/trimmer.

And besides that, like with electric cars, long term ownership will be far cheaper even with a higher entry bar. Unlike a gas OPE engine, electric requires no fuel, no maintenance like spark plugs, air filters, oil changes. Not to mention health benefits to operators (not breathing in the smog emissions, again like higher NOX with these), hearing (how many people *actually* use earplugs while operating?). The main issue will be people with larger properties, but I doubt this will affect tractors.
Wait till the electric components replacing.

They are just outsourcing the pollution to other countries and out of state, since CA already imports something around 30% of its electricity, the pollution generated to produce the power needed to charge the rare earth element battery in you new lawn mower (if you have a lawn) will be someone else's problem, same with the Lithium mine in some 3rd world country.

But I guess that is kinda what consumer happiness is about.
Most people only think what the mainstream medias tell them to think.

The issue is that small engines are giant polluters. In Colorado small OPE contribute to 7% of the toral pollution. The problem is that just an outright ban won't fix anything with some type of alternative.
That's just not so. Modern CA small engines now have catalysts and do not spew forth filth.

Wait till the electric components replacing.
Yeah, but the difference is there are far fewer components. An electric motor has exactly 1 moving part, engines have hundreds, plus associated sensors and things exposed to constant vibration and high temperatures. Electric cars will be far more reliable than ICE cars ever have been or will be.

Personally, I'm not THAT worried about the environment. I've already got a religion that I follow.
Sorry to break this to you, but your religion in no way impacts the environment nor other people, nor will it ever. Things like reducing emissions and using less polluting equipment does.

Yes, pollution matters. Concern about carbon emissions is a fools errand. Go read about the Vostok ice cores.

Sorry to break this to you, but your religion in no way impacts the environment nor other people, nor will it ever. Things like reducing emissions and using less polluting equipment does.

This is going to be controversial, but my definition of religion doesn't include things that are based on science, logic and rationality, since religion is none of those things.

I always get a kick out of their named acronym (c.a.r.b.) you know the less efficient/less environmentally friendly fuel metering device(carburetor) compared to fuel injection or d.i.

they did have a horrible pollution problem. As a preteen we went on a vacation to dismay land and other stuff. Descending the mountains towards LA I got sick, completely congested by that evening. sinus plugged, mouth only way to breathe. Cleared up as soon as we hit the costal higway, only to reoccur when we left the coast.

Rod

I always get a kick out of their named acronym (c.a.r.b.) you know the less efficient/less environmentally friendly fuel metering device(carburetor) compared to fuel injection or d.i.
Well considered it was created in 1967........

they did have a horrible pollution problem. As a preteen we went on a vacation to dismay land and other stuff. Descending the mountains towards LA I got sick, completely congested by that evening. sinus plugged, mouth only way to breathe. Cleared up as soon as we hit the costal higway, only to reoccur when we left the coast.

Rod
FAKE NEWS!!!!! POLLUTION ISNT REAL!!! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!! /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back