It’s Official: Generator Ban Passes in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are so heavily used then why not a more rugged generator with emission controls? Seems to me that the smaller portable ones are not that fuel efficient; not sure how long lived when used under heavy usage either.

Perhaps the law could be expanded to exclude "clean air" generators. [Apologies; not going to go read the law, maybe generators above a certain size are exempt for all I know.]
The smaller ones are more portable and easier to move between job sites. One of my neighbors is home builder, they often have several small generators and air compressors at a home building site, because they can put one on each floor as the crews work and move them as needed.

I thought CARB was leading FED regs on the matter, ahead of the game.

Pretty sure all cars sold in the 70's ran like crap, FED or CA emissions notwithstanding.
The car manufacturers went the lowest cost option to achieve the results required.

The smaller ones are more portable and easier to move between job sites. One of my neighbors is home builder, they often have several small generators and air compressors at a home building site, because they can put one on each floor as the crews work and move them as needed.
Ah. Makes sense, but sometimes change hits us all.

The sale or use of burning fireplaces has been banned for years in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Scott
Yes, and as much as I liked my fireplace, the air in the colder months is a lot better in the Bay Area. It used to be that on certain days and at certain times of the year, I'd be coughing when outside. That's no longer the case.

Yes, and as much as I liked my fireplace, the air in the colder months is a lot better in the Bay Area. It used to be that on certain days and at certain times of the year, I'd be coughing when outside. That's no longer the case.
I love the ambience of a wood fire, but my allergies prevent me from enjoying it for too long. :(

But there is more to California than just LA.

The San Joaquin Valley, even with CARB, has gotten worse in the past 20 years. It's has to rain that night to be able to see the mountains anymore.

They are running out of "easy" things to change and will have to start going after deep pockets. Yeah right. So just smoke and mirrors until it's so miserable, "is the power actually ON?!", expensive, and dirty to live there that enough people will leave so the real problem solves itself.

Bakersfield is one of the more affordable metro areas to live in California, and they have jobs too in the agricultural and oil industries. But this is what it looks like:

Bakersfield is one of the more affordable metro areas to live in California, and they have jobs too in the agricultural and oil industries. But this is what it looks like:

Exactally. That's not all. What it smells like is also really really bad. You get all the bad air and it smells indescribable as the 50,000 head cow lots stink the place up. A manure pile catching fire is the highlight of this...

Yeah the LA commuters take advantage of the affordable...

Exactally. That's not all. What it smells like is also really really bad. You get all the bad air and it smells indescribable as the 50,000 head cow lots stink the place up. A manure pile catching fire is the highlight of this...

Yeah the LA commuters take advantage of the affordable...

They're kind of in a unique position with all the agricultural (especially equipment) and oil industry emissions, vehicles, geography trapping all those pollutants, etc. But the final insult is that a good deal of their pollution blows in from LA. You can go to a place like the Grand Canyon and wait forever for a postcard clear day because of all the stuff coming in from hundreds of miles away.

It's like how Death Valley's geography traps in heat, where Kern County's geography traps in pollution.

CARB had nothing to do with it. Federal rules that led to cat converters, fuel injection and computer controls on autos and trucks are almost solely responsible for reduced smog in the LA and San Bernadino basins. CARB was responsible for detuned cars that ran poorly and produced even more smog than 49 state cars once the "new" wore off.
I don't know where you get your information but it does not relate to the real world.
No-CARB seems to be the organization everyone hates. California had stricter standards than Federal standards. In addition-the smog requirements for a long time on a STATE LEVEL were more strict than the Federal level. Your the one who hasn't all the facts. Next time you walk through a junk yard find a hood from a 70's era anything-under that hood will be something as follows-"This vehicle meets ALL FEDERAL STANDARDS AND CALIFORNIA STANDARDS". For a few years there were only California Cars that had more controls on them than others-to be sold only in California. It was also CARB who mandated that the VOC's in industrial chemicals be severally cut back or completely eliminated-I was in an industry that had to deal with this-again those regulations were on a state level-not Federal as we could sell our chemicals legally out of state.

If your going to hate-get your facts straight.

-------------
The California Air Resources Board (CARB or ARB) is the "clean air agency" in the government of California. Established in 1967 when then-governor Ronald Reagan signed the Mulford-Carrell Act, combining the Bureau of Air Sanitation and the Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Board, CARB is a department within the cabinet-level California Environmental Protection Agency.

The stated goals of CARB include attaining and maintaining healthy air quality; protecting the public from exposure to toxic air contaminants; and providing innovative approaches for complying with air pollution rules and regulations. CARB has also been instrumental in driving innovation throughout the global automotive industry through programs such as its ZEV mandate.

One of CARB's responsibilities is to define vehicle emissions standards. California is the only state permitted to issue emissions standards under the federal Clean Air Act, subject to a waiver from the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Other states may choose to follow CARB or the federal vehicle emission standards but may not set their own.[2]

Last edited:
You guys complain about CAFE. Imagine if CARB regulations were adopted nationwide. :oops:

No-CARB seems to be the organization everyone hates.

And for a good reason. While they tripped over themselves for vehicles CARB ignored other sources. Deep Pocket sources like Farming. They love useless paperwork for say air compressor engines on a tire service truck. Vehicles and small engines are easy "Feel Good" targets where the owners don't fight back. Owners just eat additional CA only costs and parts.

Have you pinched off a fuel return line on a AG Diesel pump engine that some "emissions exempt" farmer has rolling coal pumping water so you can get the Natural Gas engines a mile away to pass emissions? I believe they are finally going after AG, but, only because they have no other choices.

Already pointed out LA's 'export the pollution to another city' scheme. CARB is a COMPLETE FAILURE when you look at Bakersfield.

The Retro-Laws CA applies to Diesel engines .. Just wait: they will apply Retro-Laws to these small engines as well. So stuff you may already own you will not be able to use anymore.

California could make a effort to manage their forests better so the Sun blocking going into other states wildfire smoke wouldn't happen. No, No, No... it's this small generator's fault even though "CA can't keep the power on" is no longer a funny decades long laughing stock of The USA and The World joke.

Last edited:
And for a good reason. While they tripped over themselves for vehicles CARB ignored other sources. Deep Pocket sources like Farming. They love useless paperwork for say air compressor engines on a tire service truck. Vehicles and small engines are easy "Feel Good" targets where the owners don't fight back. Owners just eat additional CA only costs and parts.

Have you pinched off a fuel return line on a AG Diesel pump engine that some "emissions exempt" farmer has rolling coal pumping water so you can get the Natural Gas engines a mile away to pass emissions? I believe they are finally going after AG, but, only because they have no other choices.

Already pointed out LA's 'export the pollution to another city' scheme. CARB is a COMPLETE FAILURE when you look at Bakersfield.

The Retro-Laws CA applies to Diesel engines .. Just wait: they will apply it to these small engines as well. So stuff you may already own you will not be able to use anymore.
I would agree that CARBS main focus was not the rural areas.

And note Arizona has dropped off the list. "One Standard for ALL 50 States". No reason I should subsidize CA Emissions on the window sticker of a new vehicle. Are you aware how much of the window sticker is just for emissions? For example new Diesel engines here have to meet stricter NOx standards than Europe.

It's time to focus on other things that give us a "better return on our investment".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back