It’s Official: Generator Ban Passes in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the ultimate closing of this thread-

I spent 55 years of my life in Southern California. Growing up (in the 60's) as a child in the San Gabriel Valley, and Los Angels Basin-there were times when the air was so polluted it hurt to breath. The population was 20million. In the Valley the San Gabriel Mountains were 20 miles away and they couldn't be seen. When I lived in the L.A. basin-Downtown L.A. was 10 miles away and you couldn't see the tall buildings-the air was so dirty. Flas forward to now-there are over 40 million people-more cars registered than anywhere in the country-and the air is cleaner than it's ever been. Can't argue with results. Is the generator ban-over reach? Maybe.

But unless you lived it-you have no idea what you are talking about.
Get off my lawn!

The cuyahoga river caught on fire.. we now have beer named after it.
he Cuyahoga River was once one of the most polluted rivers in the United States as represented by the multitude of times it has caught fire, a recorded number of thirteen starting in 1868. The most potent blaze occurred in 1952 which caused over $1.3 million in damages however, the most fatal fire happened in 1912 with a documented five deaths.

Its pretty good

CARB can hardly take credit for all the changes... no CARB here.

I spent 55 years of my life in Southern California. Growing up (in the 60's) as a child in the San Gabriel Valley, and Los Angels Basin-there were times when the air was so polluted it hurt to breath. The population was 20million. In the Valley the San Gabriel Mountains were 20 miles away and they couldn't be seen. When I lived in the L.A. basin-Downtown L.A. was 10 miles away and you couldn't see the tall buildings-the air was so dirty. Fast forward to now-there are over 40 million people-more cars registered than anywhere in the country-and the air is cleaner than it's ever been. Can't argue with results. Is the generator ban-over reach? Maybe.

For the past 20 years, I have lived in/near Chattanooga, TN. In 1969 it was deemed the dirtiest city in America by the EPA. Very bad from what I hear, although I wasn’t around then.

They were able to clear things up without resorting to extreme California style measures.

For the past 20 years, I have lived in/near Chattanooga, TN. In 1969 it was deemed the dirtiest city in America by the EPA. Very bad from what I hear, although I wasn’t around then.

They were able to clear things up without resorting to extreme California style measures.
How many autos/people does TN have compared to California? NOT a good comparison my friend.

Get off my lawn!

The cuyahoga river caught on fire.. we now have beer named after it.

Its pretty good

CARB can hardly take credit for all the changes... no CARB here.
True-but without CARB it simply wouldn't have happened. Again Ohio-compared to California.....population/vehicles registered?

I spent 55 years of my life in Southern California. Growing up (in the 60's) as a child in the San Gabriel Valley, and Los Angels Basin-there were times when the air was so polluted it hurt to breath. The population was 20million. In the Valley the San Gabriel Mountains were 20 miles away and they couldn't be seen. When I lived in the L.A. basin-Downtown L.A. was 10 miles away and you couldn't see the tall buildings-the air was so dirty. Fast forward to now-there are over 40 million people-more cars registered than anywhere in the country-and the air is cleaner than it's ever been. Can't argue with results. Is the generator ban-over reach? Maybe.

I remember the smog and painful breathing while playing sports as a kid. Glad to hear its cleaner air now, haven't been to L.A. in many years.

No one is complaining about pollution controls but think about portable home Generators, when are they used 90% of the time when the power goes out?

Many generators are used in construction. Don't they understand the position they are putting their construction industry in? The other overriding use for portable generators is in emergencies. There should be maximum latitude given for the sale and use of them during emergencies, which are unfortunately occurring much more frequently.

and the air is cleaner than it's ever been.

But there is more to California than just LA.

The San Joaquin Valley, even with CARB, has gotten worse in the past 20 years. It's has to rain that night to be able to see the mountains anymore.

They are running out of "easy" things to change and will have to start going after deep pockets. Yeah right. So just smoke and mirrors until it's so miserable, "is the power actually ON?!", expensive, and dirty to live there that enough people will leave so the real problem solves itself.

True-but without CARB it simply wouldn't have happened. Again Ohio-compared to California.....population/vehicles registered?
CARB had nothing to do with it. Federal rules that led to cat converters, fuel injection and computer controls on autos and trucks are almost solely responsible for reduced smog in the LA and San Bernadino basins. CARB was responsible for detuned cars that ran poorly and produced even more smog than 49 state cars once the "new" wore off.
I don't know where you get your information but it does not relate to the real world.

4D0EBC5F-57A0-4656-9007-51AA6A3CFA51.jpeg

So I was reading more about this and apparently there are federal regs that limit what the CARB can regulate.

One example is "brush cutters" with greater than 40cc's are exempt. Same with chainsaws over 45cc's. So... That noisy gardener will probably be running a weed whacker with an engine twice as large before too long.

Stationary generators are exempted as well, plus a slew of agricultural equipment.

They are not banning the use of them. Anyone who wants one will still be able to get it. IMO California is just pissing into the wind on some of these regulations.
If they try to ban fireplaces and wood burning stoves, both of which produce FAR higher emissions than all of the modern small engines combined, they will have a revolt on their hands.
The sale or use of burning fireplaces has been banned for years in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Scott

CARB had nothing to do with it. Federal rules that led to cat converters, fuel injection and computer controls on autos and trucks are almost solely responsible for reduced smog in the LA and San Bernadino basins. CARB was responsible for detuned cars that ran poorly and produced even more smog than 49 state cars once the "new" wore off.
I don't know where you get your information but it does not relate to the real world.
I thought CARB was leading FED regs on the matter, ahead of the game.

Pretty sure all cars sold in the 70's ran like crap, FED or CA emissions notwithstanding.

Reactions: djb
Many generators are used in construction. Don't they understand the position they are putting their construction industry in? The other overriding use for portable generators is in emergencies. There should be maximum latitude given for the sale and use of them during emergencies, which are unfortunately occurring much more frequently.
If they are so heavily used then why not a more rugged generator with emission controls? Seems to me that the smaller portable ones are not that fuel efficient; not sure how long lived when used under heavy usage either.

Perhaps the law could be expanded to exclude "clean air" generators. [Apologies; not going to go read the law, maybe generators above a certain size are exempt for all I know.]

The new regulation does not apply to diesel or propane generators, but it will apply to gasoline generators mounted in an RV.

When will the citizens of California revert back to living in caves and burning mastodon dung for heat and cooking?
When the Mastodons return. Californians like their government and it is said as California goes so does the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back