Its 1955. What oil are you using?

My 1957 Case tractor calls for 10w30. Wonder how hard that was to find in those days?
As I recall, you would not have much of a problem getting it in 57. It would have probably been considered a pricey oil for its time as you could get oil for 30 cents a qt.

My Dad probably used Sinclair or Western Auto oil. His brother had a Sinclair station repair shop and the other place in our town was the Western Auto. I think Chevy used the babbit bearings up to 1954 was the first year with shells.

Photo of recommended Motor Oil Sticker on a mid 50's Ford with a Y-block V8 that I was entertaining a purchase last Summer - but I found the engine had a knock - likely due to the 20 grade oil specified :)

Ford_Y_block oil  requirement sticker..jpg

If I was near the TEXACO Filling Station,
The attendant my top off with and open can of this:

texaco-improved-motor-oil-1950s.jpg

If I was travelling near the GULF Service station uptown,
I might grab a quart of this:

Gulf oil can.jpg

In '55, I think, my father had his '47 Cadillac fastback coupe. I remember sitting in it and being fascinated by it some 5 years later. No idea what oil weight or brand he might have used; he was not one to change his own oil. He brought it to a garage and had them do it. It hardly ever gets cold cold here, so maybe the Caddy would have gotten a straight 30W from Esso or Gulf.

My Dad always had his Nash Ambassador serviced at a Sunoco 2-bay gas station in Cleveland, and I'm guessing it got some type of Sunoco oil from that vintage.

My grandpa used to talk about how he helped formulate "grape juice" and it was the best motor oil of it's day. dunno the time frame. was always a straight grade oil user too. Aunt used to go into a service station and ask for a can of grape juice for the car.
Past that i dunno. my mom wasn't even around in 55 let alone me.
Quite likely Royal Triton. It was purple in color ... even advertised as such.

I think everybody used 30 wt back then....even into the 60's I remember getting gas if no Conoco was around at a Gulf station and him adding a quart of Gulfpride 30wt HD oil....in our 66 chevy impala 2 door with a 327 4 barrel
Gulf was his goto gas (and oi)l if no Conoco stations

Back