Its 1955. What oil are you using?

probably none... considering i was -24 years old... heck, my parents
Lol 😂 not much else to list. I guess maybe Kendall was around maybe Quaker State or any name brand oil lol. How about Wolfs Head I bet that was around then. That is the oil my teacher likes.
There you go! I'm just kidding of course. Im pretty certain that for me to have used Royal Triton I would've had to have lived on the west coast at that time. Seems union oil didn't trek very far into the east until they purchased Pure in the 60s(?).

This is the oil of choice for my car.

Attachments

• received_1000935433762848.jpeg
    received_1000935433762848.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
I was -7 at the time, my dad had company cars at time, but we had a big metal pail from Texaco that he used to store old nails, he's dead, so the mystery will be unsolved.

My grandpa used to talk about how he helped formulate "grape juice" and it was the best motor oil of it's day. dunno the time frame. was always a straight grade oil user too. Aunt used to go into a service station and ask for a can of grape juice for the car.
Past that i dunno. my mom wasn't even around in 55 let alone me.

Probably whatever they had at the neighborhood service station, I guess the best question is, assuming it's 1955, how much do we know about motor oil, what resources do we have at out disposal to understand it?

My grandpa used to talk about how he helped formulate "grape juice" and it was the best motor oil of it's day. dunno the time frame. was always a straight grade oil user too. Aunt used to go into a service station and ask for a can of grape juice for the car.
Past that i dunno. my mom wasn't even around in 55 let alone me.
Oh wow, it would have been cool to talk to him about that. I've read where folks called it grape juice. One of my cans was emptied before I got it, but there is still small amounts of oil in the bottom of it. The oil really does resemble the grape juice shade of purple. I think Royal Triton was produced from the late 40s through the seventies.

Imagine it is 1955...think of the automobiles that were available at the time tell me what oil you are using. I think I'm changing oil every six months, and I'm using Union 76 Royal Triton SAE 30 in the warm months and RT SAE 20 in the winter. I'm also probably driving a late forties Chevrolet sedan with a babbit bearing inline six. 😁
I would think that I would be using Valvoline SAE 30.

I wasn't around until '59. As a youngster the first oil I remember my dad using in a '61 Ford Falcon was probably Havoline 30w in summer and likely 20w in the winter. My grandfather used Pennzoil.

In 1955, if I lived in Muncie and worked at a factory like my paternal grandfather, I probably wouldn't even own a car, everything was within walking distance or a I could take the bus.
I guess if I did have a car, I'd have use some type of Kendall motor oil, I think that's what my maternal Grampa said they sold at the service station he worked at when he was a teenager, he went in the service in 1959 so he must've worked their somewhere between 1957-1959-ish.

Motor oil availability was very region dependent back then. I’d be using whatever was available in my area.

Motor oil availability was very region dependent back then. I’d be using whatever was available in my area.

This is true. I remember my dad buying his Havoline at the Texaco station where he always filled up. The different service station brands had their own branded oil. Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline were in the auto parts store. A lot of brands were just not around.

This is true. I remember my dad buying his Havoline at the Texaco station where he always filled up. The different service station brands had their own branded oil. Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline were in the auto parts store. A lot of brands were just not around.
You guys are thinking a little too critically for a fun thread. Just pick something in a can you like, or something that had the coolest marketing. 😎

Probably whatever the Texaco station had since my family owned a half dozen or so Texaco stations back then before I was born.

You guys are thinking a little too critically for a fun thread. Just pick something in a can you like, or something that had the coolest marketing. 😎

That’s not how we bought stuff back then. People had brand loyalty, much more than today. There was something about going to the same service station and having the same attendant take care of you.

The Texaco jingle was great though.

That’s not how we bought stuff back then. People had brand loyalty, much more than today. There was something about going to the same service station and having the same attendant take care of you.

The Texaco jingle was great though.

In this thread you have the power to choose whatever you want. That's the beauty of imagination. You can remove the regional restraints and pretend your favorite local service station had every product under the sun.

Havoline is a good choice though.

Back