Royal Triton and Long Distance Purple

Hi fellas. I never used it personally because they're weren't a lot of Union 76 stations around where I lived, but when I traveled in the 70s and eighties, I remember getting gas at 76 stations and they would have Royal Triton, and later Long Distance Purple motor oil. I remember it was marketed as their best motor oil at that time. Did any of you ever use it, and do you know what its composition was? I've seen LDP cans online, and it touted like 15,000 mile ocis, but made no mention of synthetic bases. I know this isn't topical or relevant, but I'm curious if anyone knows. I just think the old Union stuff is neat.

tritonroyal.jpg
royaltritonpurple.jpg

Now that I think about it, it seems like I may have used some of the "Long Distance Purple " oil in a customers car I used to service. Gosh, that had to have been around 1981.

It would be great to have a history section of BITOG, where we could dig into some older oils that are no longer around. I suspect the thread would move slow, but be regularly bumped as someone discovers something new.

I remember buying Castrol XL mineral and Castrol TXT synthetic back in the late 80’s / early 90’s but I don’t know much about them.

Anyway Red, good to hear from you.

It would be great to have a history section of BITOG, where we could dig into some older oils that are no longer around. I suspect the thread would move slow, but be regularly bumped as someone discovers something new.

I remember buying Castrol XL mineral and Castrol TXT synthetic back in the late 80’s / early 90’s but I don’t know much about them.

Anyway Red, good to hear from you.
I would love to have an archive of former motor oils and their formulations. We can at least guess at oils from 10-15 years ago as we have a voa section here. Unfortunately, the only way to achieve this for old oils would be through voa of unopened cans, most of which are collectors items.

Back