'Italian tune-up' on a GDI engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Is an 'Italian tune up' effective in preventing or removing intake valve deposits (IVD's) on a GDI engine?

* My definition of an 'ITU' (on my manual transmission vehicle) is taking a fully warmed up engine up near the redline several times during the course of a long drive .

Nope, in fact there is a video from a Youtube channel called Engineering Explained where actually he found out some studies that show that it can actually make the deposits worse.
GDI is just junk, i wouldn't want one if you gave it to me for free...

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver

You're in luck. You can move up 20 model years from your newest car and have plenty of non-GDI choices!

FCD: I wouldn't call GDI 'junk'.....I'd just say that it wasn't fully developed when it came to market.

Originally Posted by pbm
FCD: I wouldn't call GDI 'junk'.....I'd just say that it wasn't fully developed when it came to market.

It only seems to be a BIG problem on small sampling of certain/specific engine models.

Originally Posted by pbm

GDI has been on the market since the '90's, and they were gunking up intakes back then. Surely the great minds would've been able to sort it in 25 years ?

My MS3 was running great at 158k miles when I traded it for another GDI turbo. My MS3 ran the quarter in under 14 seconds and averaged 26 mpg while my 2er returns the same fuel economy yet runs the quarter in under 13 seconds.
I'll drive that "junk" all day long...

Originally Posted by pbm
Is an 'Italian tune up' effective in preventing or removing intake valve deposits (IVD's) on a GDI engine?

* My definition of an 'ITU' (on my manual transmission vehicle) is taking a fully warmed up engine up near the redline several times during the course of a long drive .

Originally Posted by Silk
Originally Posted by pbm

GDI has been on the market since the '90's, and they were gunking up intakes back then. Surely the great minds would've been able to sort it in 25 years ?

The build up problems from GDI have largely been addressed either through the addition of supplemental port injection and/or improved PCV design. These advancements have either cured the problem or allow a maintenance interval (walnut blast) at some long interval.

In some cars you have to remove the intake to get to spark plugs, you can inspect the valves and remove some of the carbon deposit at the same time.

Two birds w/ one stone!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
What's an MS3?

Mazdaspeed 3; I thought that was a fairly well known abbreviation among enthusiasts. I know enough about BITOG not to refer to the N20 in my E84, my N12 in my R55 or the N55 in my F22- never mind how I'm considering a G30 with a B58.

Originally Posted by MCompact
What's an MS3?

Mazdaspeed 3; I thought that was a fairly well known abbreviation among enthusiasts. I know enough about BITOG not to refer to the N20 in my E84, my N12 in my R55 or the N55 in my F22- never mind how I'm considering a G30 with a B58.

It's not in your list of cars.

It's not in your list of cars.

I know, I mentioned that I traded it at 158k miles. I would have kept it but my wife limits me to 22 wheels on the ground.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My MS3 was running great at 158k miles when I traded it for another GDI turbo. My MS3 ran the quarter in under 14 seconds and averaged 26 mpg while my 2er returns the same fuel economy yet runs the quarter in under 13 seconds.
I'll drive that "junk" all day long...

Ah yes, 1/4 mile acceleration figures are the prime determiner of a car's quality.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

From what I've seen on the road around here, under 0.1 percent drive their cars to 90% capability.
Except for one rich kid with a coyote mustang with loud pipes and the Gun store owner's nephew
that has an newer Civic with a K24 turbo transplant running E85 and putting down over 400 HP.

I'm still amazed my 1.4L GDI turbo junk accelerates faster than Ferrari 308 GTb

But if you think about it from an engineering aspect, an overboosted 1.4 should have same torque under the curve as a 2.9L V8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Ah yes, 1/4 mile acceleration figures are the prime determiner of a car's quality.

From what I've seen on the road around here, under 0.1 percent drive their cars to 90% capability/

You missed my point completely; GDI allows exceptional performance and better than acceptable fuel economy. The two cars I referred to also perform at a very high level on a road course as well as a drag strip- I take my cars to both. The fact that they return over 32 mpg at an 80 mph cruise is merely icing on the cake.

The fears for the intake deposits on DI engines is overblown. It's a tiny percentage of engines that have 3xoerienced issues that one suspects are due to factors like incorrect oil, short driving distances is otherwise engine issues.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Nope, in fact there is a video from a Youtube channel called Engineering Explained where actually he found out some studies that show that it can actually make the deposits worse.

Please, tell us how you really feel about GDI

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
The fears for the intake deposits on DI engines is overblown. It's a tiny percentage of engines that have 3xoerienced issues that one suspects are due to factors like incorrect oil, short driving distances is otherwise engine issues.

I hope you are right....I'm approaching 50K on my Focus with no signs of trouble and the majority of oil changes were done with pre-SN+ synthetics....I've even used some older SM synthetics in her...but only do approx. 6K OCI (the oil gets dark much faster than on my wife's 2.5 Duratec which isn't DI). I plan on only using D1G2 or SN+ syns. from here on out. PS: Thanks for staying 'on topic'....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back