Hyundai/Kia engine failure info from a tech

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2021
Messages
6,861
Location
In the Garage...
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by ls1mike
So let me say this is why I keep buying GM. Not because their stuff is better but because every car company has issues. I just know GM stuff and have a ton of GM specific tools.
The only thing I dislike about GM is they make stupid mistakes, take forever to fix known issues and make vehicles impossible to work on in most cases because of poor planning, oh and lets not forget letting the bean counters have the final say in what could have been an otherwise excellent vehicle. I'm not saying the other OE's aren't guilty to some degree of this but GM takes the cake for these issues and has done so for decades. Albeit they are somewhat better than they used to be.
Do you work on stuff a lot? I have no issue fixing any of their stuff. Hey you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I have owned Honda, VW, Ford and tons of Mopars and to be honest Steve i see you as one of the biggest bias GM bashers on here but again it is an opinion and everyone knows what an opinion is like...
 

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2021
Messages
6,861
Location
In the Garage...
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by ls1mike
So let me say this is why I keep buying GM. Not because their stuff is better but because every car company has issues. I just know GM stuff and have a ton of GM specific tools.
Agreed. Except for me, that brand is Toyota. I also have other reasons for choosing Toyota - they offer special warranty campaigns for many common issues and they also have an amazing parts distribution network (I can get almost every item within 1-2 days, even on 15+ year old vehicles).
One thing I can say about GM is their parts are super easy to get even for my 19 year old WS6
 
Messages
25,050
Location
ON, Canada eh?
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by ls1mike
So let me say this is why I keep buying GM. Not because their stuff is better but because every car company has issues. I just know GM stuff and have a ton of GM specific tools.
The only thing I dislike about GM is they make stupid mistakes, take forever to fix known issues and make vehicles impossible to work on in most cases because of poor planning, oh and lets not forget letting the bean counters have the final say in what could have been an otherwise excellent vehicle. I'm not saying the other OE's aren't guilty to some degree of this but GM takes the cake for these issues and has done so for decades. Albeit they are somewhat better than they used to be.
Do you work on stuff a lot? I have no issue fixing any of their stuff. Hey you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I have owned Honda, VW, Ford and tons of Mopars and to be honest Steve i see you as one of the biggest bias GM bashers on here but again it is an opinion and everyone knows what an opinion is like...
Yes I do and yes GM isn't the only ones making things impossible today. I was just stating who was the worst IMO. And yes I have bias towards GM because I have put up with enough of their crap over the years.
 
Messages
5,870
Location
the canyons
Originally Posted by Cujet
they are investing 388 million in tooling for a new engine https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/30/hyundai-388-million-expansion-engine-plant/
From the linked article:
Quote
Together, the engine plants build about 700,000 engineers per year to support vehicle production in Alabama and Kia's manufacturing facility in West Point, Ga.
Building all those engineers, they should be able to figure something out...
 
Messages
3,877
Location
Alberta, Canada
This thread has no foundation....it is pointless to have people say they don't like brand X,Y,Z due to issues that crop up after purchase, when brand D also has known issues but they buy it anyways. Do your research, buy what you like. If you don't like the car, get rid of it and get a different one. They are just machines. coffee
 
Messages
2,886
Location
St. Louis
Originally Posted by tc1446
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Having a NU 2.0 the take away message is check your oil and top it off. Having a Saturn 13 years I already knew that. What is old is NU. grin
The Saturn used the same motor as Kia? I just bought a '14 Kia Soul with 2.0...used so no warranty! I'm tracking the oil religiously. Only put 1000 mi on it so far but oil holding steady.
The Saturn motor was only used in Saturns. They were know for using oil. So I have 13 years of weekly topping off the Saturn. The Saturn owner's manual said to check the oil when you fill up IIRC. Same with the Hyundai manual. If your engine is 2 quarts low and oil you probably not maintaining it properly. At 16k my oil level has not changed. I have changed the oil 5 times and will be changing it again soon. Good luck with your Soul!
 
Messages
1,306
Location
ottawa
We had a 60k. 2009 audi A4 avant. Piston rings were flawed from the factory. They never actually recalled the issue. Just a TSB and new oil control rings....they all cracked on the series 2.0 DI Turbo engines. All manufactures have their issues........cheap or ecpensive.
 

Cujet

Thread starter
Messages
10,932
Location
Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
This thread has no foundation....it is pointless to have people say they don't like brand X,Y,Z
Sure it does and it's far from pointless to post information from someone who deals with Hyundai/Kia problems. It is easy to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the reliability of existing designs. This is an Internet forum where thoughts and ideas are freely discussed. It is not mission critical information, where tight controls are required to prevent, say, an airliner crash.
 
Messages
14,374
Location
Kendall, FL
Originally Posted by nicholas
We had a 60k. 2009 audi A4 avant. Piston rings were flawed from the factory. They never actually recalled the issue. Just a TSB and new oil control rings....they all cracked on the series 2.0 DI Turbo engines. All manufactures have their issues........cheap or expensive.
Couldn't agree more
 
Messages
19,686
Location
Sunny Florida
Originally Posted by nicholas
All manufactures have their issues........cheap or expensive.
Exactly. Anything mass produced will have a bad one sooner or later, they tend to run in groups. The only difference is how they are dealt with!
 
Messages
1,089
Location
Wash, DC
Originally Posted by StevieC
I got burned on my Highlander by a new transmission Toyota is using that is awful and it cost me to get rid of the vehicle but I don't hate Toyota and I would consider them in future again. I realize it's just a bad design and that they will eventually get it right.
Cleared it up for ya. It's bad to not avoid double negatives. duh
 
Messages
13,226
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Remove customer neglect and odds are, your Hyundai & Kia 2.4 DI engine will live a long life. In other words, use the correct GDI-spec oil (you-too Slava) - correct weight(s) and change frequently. If necessary, severe schedule OCIs. It's called being aggressive Slava! Keep your oil control valves "ocv's" relatively clean & clear. Then keep on smiling!
 
Messages
17,990
Location
...
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Remove customer neglect and odds are, your Hyundai & Kia 2.4 DI engine will live a long life. In other words, use the correct GDI-spec oil (you-too Slava) - correct weight(s) and change frequently. If necessary, severe schedule OCIs. It's called being aggressive Slava! Keep your oil control valves "ocv's" relatively clean & clear. Then keep on smiling!
Why are you trolling a member who is not even participating in this thread?
 
Messages
6,395
Location
KY
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Exactly. Anything mass produced will have a bad one sooner or later, they tend to run in groups. The only difference is how they are dealt with!
Exactly; the dealer makes a HUGE difference.
 
Messages
13,226
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Remove customer neglect and odds are, your Hyundai & Kia 2.4 DI engine will live a long life. In other words, use the correct GDI-spec oil (you-too Slava) - correct weight(s) and change frequently. If necessary, severe schedule OCIs. It's called being aggressive Slava! Keep your oil control valves "ocv's" relatively clean & clear. Then keep on smiling!
Why are you trolling a member who is not even participating in this thread?
It's fun-in-jest from another thread, with an ounce or three of tease. In the meantime, mind your own business. Your nose is growing too far. Should Slava object, he can PM me. But the rubs between us were never insulting. I am done here talking this. Moderation here wants quick endings to poster objections, funny in-jest or not. So take this to a PM from here-on.
 
Last edited:

JTK

Messages
13,645
Location
Buffalo, NY
To me it still boils down to that .007% effected figure that was posted in another thread. Even so, most of them were likely repaired on Hyundai/Kia's dime. We had a thread or two on that, where grossly neglected Hyundai/Kia engines with no service history records were still repaired N/C.
 

Cujet

Thread starter
Messages
10,932
Location
Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted by JTK
To me it still boils down to that .007% effected figure
That would be one 14,000 cars. The number is much higher than that.
 
Messages
315
Location
Arizona
Originally Posted by tc1446
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Having a NU 2.0 the take away message is check your oil and top it off. Having a Saturn 13 years I already knew that. What is old is NU. grin
The Saturn used the same motor as Kia? I just bought a '14 Kia Soul with 2.0...used so no warranty! I'm tracking the oil religiously. Only put 1000 mi on it so far but oil holding steady.
No. He's saying that engine is an oil sucker just like the Saturn 1.9 he owned for 13 years and to stay on top of checking and adding oil.
 
Top