It looks like electric vehicles are going to be shoved down our throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing announcements form the automakers saying they want to be all electric by 20XX. What about what the public wants? Do they think they can produce any type of vehicle they want and people will just buy them? I'm sure some people will warm up to electric vehicles, but there are also those who won't...I can tell you I have no desire to own one...

As soon as you can refuel them in 10min(if needed on longer drives), and costs similar to gas vehicle for inital purchase I'd buy one.

As it is now.. it almost works as a second car in the family if they werent $$$$$.
Wouldnt mind charging at my house for daily work driving etc.
but towing a trailer? ok 90mile range?

Before this gets 🔐ed,

And just in time too as utilities push higher electricity rates during peak hours. Want to cook that supper after work or charge up your car? Pay more. It’s similar to Pay to Play HOV lanes we have here. As traffic gets heavier the digital price boards increase the rates

Invest in companies that make service parts for old cars. Just like in Cuba, where the citizens became expert in keeping 1959 cars running for 40+ years, so America will be going after the auto companies go bankrupt trying to shove electric cars down our throats. By that point, nobody will be interested in bailing them out again.

As a second car they are viable for many of you on here. This place (BITOG forum) is a board that is resistant to change to put it mildly. My wife's Santa Fe falls under the average trip from home miles.
quote-
Search Results
Average car trip distance
On a daily basis, the average person traveled 40 miles, most of it (35 miles) in a personal vehicle. Because more than one person can travel in a personal vehicle, these 35 person miles amounted to about 23 vehicle miles traveled. Annually, the total number of vehicle miles traveled in 2001 was nearly 2.3 trillion

These statistics make an electric car viable-at least for a second vehicle. Now-consider with the experience of working from home forced upon us by recent events-the miles driven are probably less, and may continue to be less if working from home is allowed after this whole thing is over.

BITOG is fear of the unknown/new tech on steroids.

I keep seeing announcements form the automakers saying they want to be all electric by 20XX. What about what the public wants? Do they think they can produce any type of vehicle they want and people will just buy them? I'm sure some people will warm up to electric vehicles, but there are also those who won't...I can tell you I have no desire to own one...

Yeah whatever, the conversion to EV in the US is a long road, I wouldn’t worry about it, especially not in non-coastal regions.

Also nobody wants the crossovers/minivan clones they make but people still buy them.

Personally I would own a cheap EV but my little antique burns $200 of gas annually and the taxes for an EV are an extra $665 for title + registration which costs more than my fuel.

Not wasting my time on one again until taxes and insurance get fixed and if they don’t fix the wrongheaded taxes
government has made my future car buying decisions for me.

If the manufacturers can build electric vehicles and price them the same as gas powered vehicles then I would have no problem buying one. For me the problem always been there is a price premium on electric vehicles and even on hybrid vehicles. I'm all for saving money at the gas pump.

Most areas tax hybrids and EVs in such a way that a normal economy car is cheaper to own as the taxes are about equal in cost to annual fuel use.

In fact Virginia in trying to make every car cost the same amount to drive so it’s only worth driving 10mpg race cars and semi’s since you gain no savings by driving an efficient car.

Last edited:

So dont buy one.
Between available new and parts you'll be able to drive an ice vehicle for a long long time.

For those people who have no access to home chargers, would it be an opportunity for a new company to offer drive up charging done at night?

Your car needs charging, you schedule the service to come in the next 12 hours, the service has access to the charge port and location of your car and does the delivery while you are sleeping or watching Netflix.

People in Condos or people that don't have parking on their own property will have challenges. It's going to be a long time until the majority of vehicles are electric. These corporations have big aspirations, what happens when they build mostly electric vehicles and they don't sell that many of them?

If they deliver who is going to forgo a vehicle whose reliability is potentially higher and cost of ownership and complexity lower?

No one is longing for the days of mechanical adding machines and typewriters except for nostalgia.

Reactions: JC1
No shoving needed. All you have to do is price gas/diesel out of everyone's budget. And, that's easy enough to do.

Here's my problem.... I live off/on the grid and don't have enough excess charge capacity to recharge an electric vehicle. It's just not worth it honestly. And, if the automakers want to price themselves out of business, then we'll be driving older cars forever. See how the fleet in Cuba looks like now... well, in 30 years, I'd wager the fleet in the USA will be similar.

I expect many automakers going out of business with an electric only mantra. Hybrid fleet is a good midpoint, extended range hybrids, and until battery capacity gives me super range at
Resistant to change? Some of us can't afford a $100k Tesla and would never even spend that much money on a new disposable car. Golfcart sized vehicles don't cut it.

New VW Jetta 1.4T/manual with no unneeded options.... $18k out the door including taxes/registration. Usable commuter vehicle with 40mpg average with AC on almost always. The second vehicle is to move dogs around, shopping,.... a V6 SUV. AWD also helps on those northern mountain ski trips maybe 5k a year. Wife's car... another 4 door 4 cyl sedan.... barely gets 20mpg. And, for the boat/trailer/camper, a 1/2 ton pickup gasser truck. Convertible... summer only 2k miles a year. All paid for along with toys. I don't see where I can even consider replacing ANY with electric products sold today and the key word is "affordably".

How is the parts supply or service for new electric cars? accident repair? or repairs outside warranty? Some of us don't lease and don't trade in like changing underwear.

Electric vehicles.... have no place in this driveway. Considering a Camry/Accord hybrid for the wife. Don't care for a charge device in garage or driveway and don't plan on running an extension cord to a car. Chargers look *****. Did they go underground yet? or overhead yet like a hose on a reel? My lifestyle doesn't include the lastest smartphone, 100 pairs of sneakers, or useless clothing with someone's name/brand on them.
I don't need or want a car to drive for me, because I know how to drive. And, I prefer having a clutch.

Drive up charging isn't an option. Barking dogs. Noises. Won't be a good thorough slow charge.

The only thing that peeked our interest is the RAV4 Prime. It could replace the wifes car and the SUV at the same time. Other than that, nothing needed.

I guess the grandkids will think differently.

Gotta run and replace some tubes in my amplifier.

Some good points … take someone who is a real environmentalist - and consume very little power with an off grid home … but still need to head for town to get supplies or see the doctor ?
Hopefully some bet on the hybrid sticking around … Toyota just might …

Here's how I look at this. If the point of using electricity is to conserve fossil fuel, how do they generate electricity?. If the price of a decent electric car is more then a gas model, but can't go as far, carry the same load of people or cargo, takes more then an hour to recharge if on a long trip, and that depends where you are at has a charging station, why in the world would anybody want one?. Is it to save the environment ?. Recycling batteries from thousands of vehicles has to be a environmental nightmare, compared to what's in place today for today's vehicles. I guess the plan is to send then to the other side of the world and let it be their problem while our land remains pristine. We'll just let the spent fuel from our Nuke plants be some other generations worry after were all gone. If some select group wasn't looking to make a ton of money from electric vehicles, you can bet nobody would have any interest in making them. My 2 cents.,,,

The only EV that I would consider buying the new Mustang Mach-E. Please don't ban me:geek:

I know it is technically inferior to the Tesla Model Y. I plan on driving one. My trade in value on the truck will probably never be higher. Who knows. Every review I have read is that it's a much more "civilized" vehicle. IMO Ford has hit a home run here.

A lot of things can happen by 2035. I will ride a horse instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back