Is this oil T-shirt racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Discount Drug Mart! Familiar with those go to them all the time when visiting family in Northeast Ohio (Lorain County). Anyway it's not my kind of shirt anyway, so I wouldn't wear it. It's not really racist, but it's not the kidn of thing I'd wear in a city. You never know what gang you might accidentally offend.
Well said. You never know the action of idiots on the other side. People kill/fight people over anything stupid.

I'm telling Al Sharpton and Obama. Excuse me the BET countdown is back on .

Originally Posted By: montero1
I've never known "Negro" to be a bad word. If it is, how about "caucasian"?

You can turn almost anything into a slur with context. My grandpa, a white guy born in Appalachia in 1910, asked a nursing agency if they employed negroes in 2005. This lead to a stunning pause on the other end of the line.
lol.gif

There's probably a number of well worded essays on the subject, but when you break down a person into an adjective, it gets dehumanizing. You could do the same with a "long-hair" or a "tank-top" or any other adjective that boils a person down into one feature.

Conversely, if you're within the clique, you can usually carefully exercise free license. Ergo, gangsta rap.

Online/ in print, you don't know who's on the other end, or who will later read your quote. So sarcasm gets lost.

Originally Posted By: dcf
I'm telling Al Sharpton and Obama. Excuse me the BET countdown is back on .
Lol. I think that Al Sharpton released a statement saying not to be upset at her.

OP this topic has 3 pages of discussion.

Just by this response were I believe there is a higher percentage of members on here are more enlighten, knowledgeable, and reasonable then the general public.

What do you believe is the right answer?

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
You guys do realize you are reacting to a non-event right? To my knowledge no one has complained about the shirt, or the Gato Negro brand of wine.

And you claim others are touchy. Sheesh.

That's it! It's the super-hyper-sensitive PC nut that always gets offended- on someone else's behalf! Just relax, it's even embarrassing to the allegedly disparaged group.

I like that vintage logo and would totally rock that shirt. Not because I'm a racist, not to 'rebel' against the PC crowd and to ensure my freedom of speech for generations to come, but just because it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: bradepb
It would probably be safer than a Paula Deen t-shirt though
27.gif

LOL! Fat southern trash she is. I can't believe she said those things about races across the board. Let me take that back, she is from the South so it's not farfetched...since she is blaming her "upbringing" being raised there the reason why. [censored]!

OP, shirt isn't racist lol. It's Spanish for black cat lol. I hate everything has to be about black/white/brown/red/yellow...it's a shame!

You sure like to spout insults relating to body condition and geographical origin, yet you close your post with saying you hate the fact the people make "everything about black/white/brown/red/yellow....". There was no reason to attack Miss Deen except to show your own bias against mildly overweight folks from the south. By all accounts by those that really know her, she's a very kind woman. She's apologized and now paid for it with her career ruined by hypocrites. Yet folks such as yourself still want to pile on the attack! Seems to me you ought to do some self examination my friend.
I'm born and raised in the South (Alabama to be exact) so I'm not talking bad about my home or being biased because I have a lot of great friends in all races and size back home, BUT I do realize there was/still is a lot of hate there.

Who are the hypocrites? She said out of her own mouth that "her Southern upbringing" is why she used racist terms, which is why I called her southern trash. She stated that her friends/family and husband constantly tell racist jokes using the "N" word and she isn't offended by what they said. She stated that she wanted a traditional Southern wedding with little N words servers, but was afraid to have it due to the media. Maybe that's being a nice lady to you, but that's trash to me. If you think this kind of behavior/thought process is OK, then you really need to do some self examination my friend. The only thing that I apologize for using is the term fat, I didn't have to say that, I was speaking from disgust. I don't care what you say, anyone who is a racist or use racist terms about different races is TRASH to me! She isn't sorry for what she said, she is sorry for being caught and messing up her OWN CAREER. I don't feel sorry for her one bit. My mother called me to break the news to me because she is a big fan of the show. I thought it was a lie until I read the statements she quoted. Afterwards, I was disgusted.

And I still stand behind my black/white...statement based on the origin of this thread. The OP posted a nice looking shirt, but is kind of afraid to wear it because some idiot may think it's racist.

Calling somebody "fat southern trash" has some sort of virtue then? Aren't you doing the same thing you accuse Miss Deen of? Yes, that is exactly what you are doing. That my friend is hypocrisy. If I may use a term from MY own upbringing....it is "the pot calling the kettle black". Miss Deen may have said things that some of us find objectionable, but so what? I'm 100% certain (even without knowing you) that if you had been forced under oath you would also have said things in your past that could be determined as racist. Should you lose a career over it and be demonized in the media, even after apologizing? No. They are just words and opinions. Do I use the term we are referring to? Yes. But that's my personal business and owe you no explanation of why or when I say it. And I am not sorry for it. But at least I am no hypocrite like the media and various folks like yourself that are so busy pointing a finger and destroying a woman's career over it. Anti-caucasion bias is completely rampant in the media and almost a given in circumstances involving work, business, entertainment and such. That is my main point of the hypocrisy of this whole thing. One silly word or statement and a person is ruined....unless of course it's coming from a person 'of color'. Then it's ok.

Not racist, but you never know the education level of the person reading it (i.e. if Master and Slave hard drive could offend an uneducated government employee, then I don't know what cannot).

Some people may found Spanish language in the USA offensive.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Look guys, in some neighborhoods you can be shot for wearing the wrong color t-shirt. That logo reminds me a little of an old group called Black Panthers and if the wrong people only noticed the picture and the word Negro.
39.gif

If you take a trip to Iraq wearing an American flag t-shirt you might be murdered, too. Solution: don't go where you might be murdered for the kind of t-shirt you wear...

You can't live your life according to the lowest common denominator, either. Besides, who doesn't like setting some ignoramus straight when they try to call you out?

WEAR THE SHIRT, if it so pleases you. The fact that you had to ask is quite sad, though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Not racist, but you never know the education level of the person reading it (i.e. if Master and Slave hard drive could offend an uneducated government employee, then I don't know what cannot).

Some people may found Spanish language in the USA offensive.

We had a loss of power to the Master in a set of PCM's, at which point one of the Slaves became the Master. Don't worry, none of the other slaves associated with other groups were inspired to do the same, because, well, I'm talking about inanimate objects.

Words, when used improperly, can incite more rage in malcontents and those of limited education than just about any action against any said individual. It's amazing.

My mother was actually ORDERED to never use the words "slave terminal" when referring to the computer system where she worked. Note: if she tried to log in from any of the "secondary" terminals, she got a message: "NO ADMIN LOGON FROM SLAVE TERMINAL". When she retired (five years later), that message had not been changed.

Haven been saved from a beating purely because the leader noticed my Iron Maiden shirt, I understand the mentaility of some people.

Wouldn't make me stop wearing the shirt in question, it's pretty good...just wouldn't wear it in every circumstance.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My mother was actually ORDERED to never use the words "slave terminal" when referring to the computer system where she worked. Note: if she tried to log in from any of the "secondary" terminals, she got a message: "NO ADMIN LOGON FROM SLAVE TERMINAL". When she retired (five years later), that message had not been changed.

What if the word "secondary" already has a meaningful term, and the rest of the world is using the world "slave" in an inoffensive way?

When 1 person is right and 60 million people are wrong, I think it is fair to say that it is the other way around.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I agree with not wearing the t-shirt in Detroit, no matter how innocent the logo may be. Too many ignoramuses around. 30% of the folk in the city are functionally illiterate.

you mean like someone who has to ask if the shirt is racist?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Haven been saved from a beating purely because the leader noticed my Iron Maiden shirt, I understand the mentaility of some people.

Wouldn't make me stop wearing the shirt in question, it's pretty good...just wouldn't wear it in every circumstance.

Rock on
11.gif

Rock on
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

What if the word "secondary" already has a meaningful term, and the rest of the world is using the world "slave" in an inoffensive way?

When 1 person is right and 60 million people are wrong, I think it is fair to say that it is the other way around.

Agreed. There are unequivocally instances where a word is being used in a racist or derogatory manner, but for those instances where this is not the case we need to take a stand - draw a line in the sand, if you will. I'm not talking about some one wearing/saying/doing something questionable, meant to stir up emotions, but BENIGN things, such as the shirt in the OP.

What do I mean? Well, "Gato Negro" is incredibly obviously NOT race based, where as something "Negro, please" would be VERY questionable. If you can't see the difference, then I posit that YOU are part of the problem, and propagate negativity/racism where none exists...

My mother was actually ORDERED to never use the words "slave terminal" when referring to the computer system where she worked.

That's a bit over the top. On this site we use the term "slave cylinder" without anybody giving it a second thought.

My mother was actually ORDERED to never use the words "slave terminal" when referring to the computer system where she worked.

That's a bit over the top. On this site we use the term "slave cylinder" without anybody giving it a second thought.

If a person's direct ancestors were slaves in the United States for a hundred years then that person may actually think "twice" when they hear the term "slave cylinder". So not so much to be PC, but just in good taste and sensitivity to our diverse population it just makes sense to me to use another equally descriptive term like "secondary" instead of "slave" to avoid using a term that can potentially invoke emotional distress of any kind in others.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

If a person's direct ancestors were slaves in the United States for a hundred years then that person may actually think "twice" when they hear the term "slave cylinder". So not so much to be PC, but just in good taste and sensitivity to our diverse population it just makes sense to me to use another equally descriptive term like "secondary" instead of "slave" to avoid using a term that can potentially invoke emotional distress of any kind in others.

I completely disagree. You are empowering illogical behavior and encouraging a culture of victims. Anybody that would suffer "emotional distress" after hearing such common terms....should seek psychological counseling as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back