Is there added economy to Jetta TDI these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

We get it you got bit bad...you are ONE person!

Toyota's Hybrid system is not without it's faults especially regarding inverter failures.

Everyone can get a lemon... you did, it happens, move on with life. So you'll never buy another VW, doesn't mean the whole of the world won't.

I'm not alone in my VW experience. I despise subjective "information". I'd much rather have "the facts". Here is a direct comparison between the year Jetta I owned and the Prius. The trend continues to this day, with the newer models. This cannot be denied.

Here are some owner comments from various owners:

Jetta: Complete failure of fuel system and high pressure fuel pump sent debris throughout. $10,000 repair cost covered by warranty.

Jetta: High pressure fuel pump failure. Fuel injectors, tank, rail, pump, and all lines needed replacement.

Jetta: The Clutch started to slip and needed replacing. I've read online about the pressure plates on manual transmissions having issues; guess this is correct.

Jetta: Intermittent rough idle. Batch of cars with bad injector pumps. VW replaced some under warranty, trying to stiff a lot of others with cost of replacing whole fuel system, about $9k. A number bought back, but owners must agree not to post about it.

Prius: Bluetooth connectivity to telephone would not work. The Bluetooth antenna was replaced.

Prius: Front brake pads make a metallic rattle sound when going over small sharp bumps, like Botts' dots.

Prius: brakes making a ticking noise. they haven't been able to resolve it

jqef.png

Last edited:
Did you actually read any of the entry's?

People replacing steering racks on the Prius, struts, inverter pump recalls(not paid for). All high $$$ items. All before 100k miles.

People replacing normal maintenance items on the VW, and the failures but very unspecific as to what sometimes. The one really got me, a transmission replacement at 175,000 miles. I guess it should last longer?

Basically as far as I am concerned they are equal.

You are relying on a very small metric to dictate which is more reliable. If they were as horrible as you think, VWofA would have pulled out years ago.

Last edited:
Did you actually read any of the entry's? People replacing steering racks on the Prius, struts, inverter pump recalls(not paid for). All high $$$ items. All before 100k miles. People replacing normal maintenance items on the VW, and the failures but very unspecific as to what sometimes. The one really got me, a transmission replacement at 175,000 miles. I guess it should last longer? Basically as far as I am concerned they are equal. You are relying on a very small metric to dictate which is more reliable. If they were as horrible as you think, VWofA would have pulled out years ago.

Of course, I would have been much better off if I had purchased a comprehensive extended warranty from an internet VW dealer. Had I done so, I'd still have the car. As it did drive very well when everything was right. I did purchase an 6/100,000 basic powertrain for my current F150, $680. Have not needed it though. So, I suppose, in a round about way, there is truth in what you say. I'd be happy with the VW diesel, if my wallet did not take so much of a hit.

The PD engines had camshaft wear problems. Mine was no exception. Even with my BITOG retentive attention to UOA results, oil type and frequent oil changes.

cam16.jpg

A TDI is a severe case of Car Love&Hate. When everything works, its the best car ever. It's so good, you think other people are dumb for not owning one.

When you have to fix it, its the worst car ever. It's such a pain and/or expense you think you are dumb for owning one.

You need to be a good DIY mechanic with tools, or have access to a guru level independent mechanic who really wants to fix your car and not empty your wallet.

Originally Posted By: dareo
A TDI is a severe case of Car Love&Hate. When everything works, its the best car ever. It's so good, you think other people are dumb for not owning one.

When you have to fix it, its the worst car ever. It's such a pain and/or expense you think you are dumb for owning one.

+1

Agree with the love and hate, though I havent had the hate yet. I aboslutely love my TDI, as well as the others I have had in the past. Fun to drive, GREAT MPG, and nice features. In the back of my mind I dread major repairs once the miles get higher, but it's a risk I am willing to take.

VW has gotten better, but still not great. I like their cars enough to take some risks....

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Did you actually read any of the entry's? People replacing steering racks on the Prius, struts, inverter pump recalls(not paid for). All high $$$ items. All before 100k miles. People replacing normal maintenance items on the VW, and the failures but very unspecific as to what sometimes. The one really got me, a transmission replacement at 175,000 miles. I guess it should last longer? Basically as far as I am concerned they are equal. You are relying on a very small metric to dictate which is more reliable. If they were as horrible as you think, VWofA would have pulled out years ago.

Of course, I would have been much better off if I had purchased a comprehensive extended warranty from an internet VW dealer. Had I done so, I'd still have the car. As it did drive very well when everything was right. I did purchase an 6/100,000 basic powertrain for my current F150, $680. Have not needed it though. So, I suppose, in a round about way, there is truth in what you say. I'd be happy with the VW diesel, if my wallet did not take so much of a hit.

The PD engines had camshaft wear problems. Mine was no exception. Even with my BITOG retentive attention to UOA results, oil type and frequent oil changes.

cam16.jpg

The PD engines did but it was hit & miss like the HPFP. It is a crock I agree but it seems you either get lucky(really lucky) or it is a lemon from day one like yours lol.

My cam had 157k on it w/ dealer only service from what carfax said till 132k, then I took it over. Mike H. gave it a clean bill of health when I had the T-belt done. Surprised to say the least!

Now the car is in a wrecking yard somewhere
frown.gif

Somehow the BEW engines managed better on the cam issue; the BRM's though seemed bad. I should pull the valvecover again and look; but it's suddenly winter here and I've got no ambition to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back