Is there a hoarding gene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

I have four 4.4 litre jugs of Toyota 0w20 (SM), one 5 litre jug of Honda 0w20 (SM), one 1 litre bottle of the original Toyota 0w20 (black Canadian bottle) - I'm saving this for the archives, two 4.4 litres jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 (SM), one 5 litre jug of Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 one 5 litre jug of Castrol Syntec 5w20 (SM), and a 4.4 litre jug of Motomaster Formula One 5w20 (SN) and a couple one litre bottles of the same.

Yet still, when I see oil on sale I am compelled to buy it. I had to fight a strong urge to pick up Castol Edge that was on sale at Wal Mart for $24.99 last week.

What is it that makes us want to buy and hoard oil like this? I can tell you that if there was some natural disaster, I sure don't have that much bottled water in a fallout shelter somewhere.

*edit* Just checked stash and found one 5 litre jug of Valvoline SynPower 5w30 (SN). What the heck am I going to do with this....it's SO heavy.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Hoarding is actually a form of OCD, and there are biological markers for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_of_obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Originally Posted By: dparm

Yeah, but we're talking OIL HERE!

I call it common sense.Oil is needed,oil can go thru shortages,oil pricing can rise quickly,oil quality can change (look at the loss of zinc in recent years),plus there seems to be a need to stock for "emergencies"....like a sudden massive oil leak,oil pan damage/changeout,filter failure (hence the need to keep filters too).I would call it common sense,as long as the price is right.

Speculative Oil Hoarding (SOH) as described by American Psychiatic Association is NOT a pathology when it can be demonstrated that the aquistion is a direct hedge against inflation; a mimic of, or parralel to, the Commodity Exchange Oil Futures Index; or that the person engaged in SOH actually uses the SOH stockpile within his lifetime.

SOH IS to be concidered a pathology (Class 2A) if an individual has EVER employed any SOH product as: 1) a parfum; 2) a personal hygene product; or 3) as a more personal use.

Source: American Psychiatic Association; Classification of Mental Disorders; IBDSM-Classification Code Index-JN72-2011-PDQ-LMAO.

There is a hoarding gene. Humans that have lived in scarce, famine lands exhibit those genes. Their body thinks nothing but to hoard all and everything because it knows that the next time it will get supplies is unsure.
Those folks turn obese when they land in USA because their body still stores evrything even though everything is available in plenty.

Maybe you came from an oil starved nation?

Originally Posted By: rcy
But hoarding OIL specifically?

No but if it wasn't oil it would likely be possibly something else.
I don't think most of us set out to hoard oil, I know I certainly don't, but when a deal pops up it's hard to pass up even though one doesn't need any more oil. In my case I no longer care how cheap dino is or even most OTC synthetics I'll let it go unless it is almost free.
But for special normally expensive boutique oils that are high on my desirability list, especially an oil that's new to the market I'll bite if the price is low enough.

I am fine with Walmart hoarding it on their shelves so I can buy it.

As for filters, I can see buying say 3 on Amazon but not one everytime you walk into Walmart. You might end up with filters for a vehicle that no longer runs or similar reasons.

As long as the price is right, you have the space for the oil, you have the cash for the discounted price and it does not interfere with your personal life.....hoard the oil for use in the future.

If you purchase your next vehicle used/pre-owned, at a fantastic price, and determine that it has a bit of sludge....you'll use lots of oil changes and filter changes to get it clean.

Then you will be very happy that you had a "nice stash" of oil on hand, at a dirt cheap price, for use in cleaning up the engine.

The problem i have is i never saved receipts for oil in my stash. Now that i have a new car with warranty, I need receipts to show i bought oil when i log that i change it.

I'm happy to hoard oil as it never goes bad. It's easier IMO than hoarding antifreeze which I'm always short on.

I also hoard spaghetti and coke when I get a good deal but it degrades by the time a year later when I use it. Also stash TP, just because!

My oil changes have gotten so lackadasical I drain the car, put the new filter on, then decide what from the stash is going in.

I keep enough oil for one oil change for both vehicles, that's it. I don't like keeping oil stored in the garage too long. Keeps my options open to what I want to use next.

Just about every person walking the face of the earth is obsessive compulsive about something. It is only a "disorder" if it affects normal life functions. For example, you cannot go to work if you fear it will mean missing an oil sale. Then it is a mental disorder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Just about every person walking the face of the earth is obsessive compulsive about something. It is only a "disorder" if it affects normal life functions. For example, you cannot go to work if you fear it will mean missing an oil sale. Then it is a mental disorder.

Correct, people on this site are not hoarders unless they've literally blown their life savings, 401k accounts, etc. and do nothing but buy oil.

No, oil hoarding is simply inspired in most of us when we see the large price difference between a sale price and the regular price...

Who on here wants to spend 45$ a jug of Pennzoil Platinum when you can get it on sale for almost half that?

Also, you do the mileage, it gets used. Oil is like toilet paper, nobody feels bad stocking up on it.

If your wife knew the sale prices of motor oils and you showed up with a full priced jug at the checkout and you needed to do an oil change soon, she'd be mad as a bee if you could have saved 20$ on it if you had a bit of a stash.

Also, if there is a refinery problem or something it is nice to have a cheap stash of sale oil. And it really doesn't take up that much space. Like toilet paper stashes do. *cough*.

I look at it this way:
If you want to give me free oil, or even let me make a little change after purchase price and MIR, I'll take it.
If I go through ~70 quarts a year on the five cars we use as daily drivers, a decent sized stash is going to get used up.
It is also surprising that you can get really good stuff FAR, like Ultra and QSUD, as well as the surpringly good G-Oil and Nextgen Maxlife for shorter drains.
Nothing wrong with a stash of good FAR oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back