Is the VW Golf a Bad Car?

I think the Golf is a good car; however, a CVT shouldn't scare you, particularly Honda's unit. It has turned out to be perhaps the best in the industry and people who I know in the dealer network report that its reliability is awesome. In my own experience my dad's 2017 Civic's CVT is very nice to drive.

I’ve never understood when people say they will be reliable is if you “maintain and care for it”.

But I just don’t see how it matters if you wax it, change the oil, timing belt, coolant, kiss it goodnight every night, etc. because none of that has anything to do with the electronics failing, sensors, etc.

I’ve never understood when people say they will be reliable is if you “maintain and care for it”.

But I just don’t see how it matters if you wax it, change the oil, timing belt, coolant, kiss it goodnight every night, etc. because none of that has anything to do with the electronics failing, sensors, etc.
Good call out, I should have been more specific. I was referring to being reliable if you maintain them from a purely mechanical standpoint. They aren't as forgiving if you over extend the oil changes or DSG fluid, brake fluid etc like a Toyota or a old GM 3800 may be.

Absolutely correct on the sensors/electrical, you can't really maintain that stuff and it's a " best of luck" on really any vehicle I think. The electronics on my VW's seemed well built, definitely leaps better than any GM I've owned.

I know German cars are usually unreliable, but are VW cars turds like Audi, BMW etc?

I’ve owned six BMWs, all sold with over 180k, and a few with over 200k, over the last 20 years. Four of the six are still daily drivers, so who knows how many miles are on them at this point.

Hardly what I would consider unreliable, or turds.

I think the Golf is a good car; however, a CVT shouldn't scare you, particularly Honda's unit. It has turned out to be perhaps the best in the industry and people who I know in the dealer network report that its reliability is awesome. In my own experience my dad's 2017 Civic's CVT is very nice to drive.
I agree. I think Honda has the best CVT’s in the business from a drivability and reliability perspective. We did an overnight test drive on a 2017 Accord (CVT) with around 45k miles and were quite impressed with the smooth yet responsive (for a CVT) characteristics. We ultimately went another direction and purchase a new Jetta but if your looking to purchase a vehicle equipped with a CVT, Honda and Toyota would be at the top of my list. Nissan would be only a passing thought.

The Rio is good too! I actually forgot about it :oops:

Actually, they just dropped DI starting in 2020, so there's that too :)

They seem to be discontinued due to low sales, so if they're not selling well, it may be possible to get[[ a good deal that you can't pass up :)r
Had and liked the previous gen Rio. Absolutely no trouble. If you're into HyunKia's take a look at the being phased out Elantra GT. Should be able to get a good deal on a leftover '20.

Probably because Honda has had CVTs longer than the others and has engineered the bugs out of them.

The person taking great care of a german car is more likely to know how to drive it. And how not to drive it. I make sure it idles for a bit in the cold before going, and make sure to let it have a minute or so to cool down the turbo after driving. I make sure to monitor temperatures and not drive it too hard if its hot. The average driver just mashes gas and brakes whenever they feel like it and only fixes/services things when its critical.
If you get down to it, most failures are due to flawed parts made by 3rd party suppliers. It almost comes down to luck these days.

Mazda3 hatchback with non CVT transmission and 2.5L engine is a very good car for the money, especially the excellent interior, super comfortable seats and very quiet cabin.

👍

The person taking great care of a german car is more likely to know how to drive it. And how not to drive it. I make sure it idles for a bit in the cold before going, and make sure to let it have a minute or so to cool down the turbo after driving. I make sure to monitor temperatures and not drive it too hard if its hot. The average driver just mashes gas and brakes whenever they feel like it and only fixes/services things when its critical.
If you get down to it, most failures are due to flawed parts made by 3rd party suppliers. It almost comes down to luck these days.
Again, that's all mechanical stuff. I'm not doubting VWs have good powertrains.

Sensors and other electronic stuff that has nothing to do with ownership is the stuff that fails alot more often in them than other cars. Also other engine accessory parts like water pump, A/C, alternator etc. regardless of if the owner kisses it goodnight and gives it a warm glass of milk before bed.

Yea, I don't want to have to be so fastidious with maintenance. I want a cheap appliance to get me to work in the morning. I basically want a refrigerator on wheels haha. Top priority on my list is to have a reliable drivetrain, because a busted engine or transmission will quickly empty your pockets and a busted CVT is far more expensive to replace than a conventional auto is to rebuild/remanufacture. I am looking at the 2019 Kia Rio hatch for a newer car and a 2003-2008 Corolla for an older car. I might consider a 2005-2007 Ford Focus, just because it is easy to repair and parts are cheap. I am very very tempted to go and buy a 2017-2019 Nissan Versa, because they are so cheap on the used market, but I suppose there is reason for that...the infamous CVT.

Again, that's all mechanical stuff. I'm not doubting VWs have good powertrains.

Sensors and other electronic stuff that has nothing to do with ownership is the stuff that fails alot more often in them than other cars.
Sensors and electronic stuff is almost always made by a globally sourced 3rd party. I personally have had great luck with electronics in cars, even 300k+ VWs, its all luck when it comes to electrics. Name any sensor, odds are, its not made by the car brand. Its a Bosch, delphi, denso, ect. These parts are generally engineered well and last a long time but you sure notice when the buck stops on your particular example and you have to replace it.

Mazda3 hatchback with non CVT transmission and 2.5L engine is a very good car for the money, especially the excellent interior, super comfortable seats and very quiet cabin.

👍
And unfortunately, very, very thin sheet metal and criminally-thin and fragile paint. I have a Mazda6, model year 2017. Mazda's drive pretty nicely and are reliable and will last... but will only go the distance with considerable care. And it depends what the weather / snow/salt conditions are - where you operate it. The undercarriage / suspension members have barely any paint on them... subframes rust, wishbones rust, every last hose-clamp rusts. Cardboard for carpets, too.

Yeah, they'll last... but in my experience - not with normal car-care practices.

If you can conclude, for yourself, that electrically- and electronically you can go the distance with a Golf (or variant) - it is built more robustly, in my view.

Sensors and electronic stuff is almost always made by a globally sourced 3rd party. I personally have had great luck with electronics in cars, even 300k+ VWs, its all luck when it comes to electrics. Name any sensor, odds are, its not made by the car brand. Its a Bosch, delphi, denso, ect. These parts are generally engineered well and last a long time but you sure notice when the buck stops on your particular example and you have to replace it.
Bosch is ****

And unfortunately, very, very thin sheet metal and criminally-thin and fragile paint. I have a Mazda6, model year 2017. Mazda's drive pretty nicely and are reliable and will last... but will only go the distance with considerable care. And it depends what the weather / snow/salt conditions are - where you operate it. The undercarriage / suspension members have barely any paint on them... subframes rust, wishbones rust, every last hose-clamp rusts. Cardboard for carpets, too.

Yeah, they'll last... but in my experience - not with normal car-care practices.

If you can conclude, for yourself, that electrically- and electronically you can go the distance with a Golf (or variant) - it is built more robustly, in my view.
I love Mazda's but they are hard to find parts for. I had a 626 back in the day and it was very hard to find parts for it. It was fun to drive though for a 4 door sedan though.

Supplied by a third party, but to VW's specs, not the supplier's.

It's NOT "luck" if it's actually designed properly in the first place. Other manufacturers use the same suppliers VW does, but they don't have the same problems VW has. Bosch, Delphi, and Denso supply to almost every car company, if not all of them.

The thing is, if the sensors for cars are all made by the same manufacturers, and if the power trains are all maintained to the same standard, then why aren’t they all the same reliability? Someone has to be at the bottom half of the reliability list. They aren’t all at the same level.

The thing is, if the sensors for cars are all made by the same manufacturers, and if the power trains are all maintained to the same standard, then why aren’t they all the same reliability? Someone has to be at the bottom half of the reliability list. They aren’t all at the same level.
It all depends how the electronics from those suppliers are able to work with the vehicle they are built into.

For example, in the 70's and 80's many Bosch electrical systems were installed in Volvo and BMW vehicles.
The Volvo's had common issues with bio-degradeable wiring harnesses under the hood, which led to all sorts of electrical issues.
BMW on the other hand also had Bosch electrical systems, but were far more reliable because the vehicles themselves were designed better.

Yea, I don't want to have to be so fastidious with maintenance. I want a cheap appliance to get me to work in the morning. I basically want a refrigerator on wheels haha. Top priority on my list is to have a reliable drivetrain, because a busted engine or transmission will quickly empty your pockets and a busted CVT is far more expensive to replace than a conventional auto is to rebuild/remanufacture. I am looking at the 2019 Kia Rio hatch for a newer car and a 2003-2008 Corolla for an older car. I might consider a 2005-2007 Ford Focus, just because it is easy to repair and parts are cheap. I am very very tempted to go and buy a 2017-2019 Nissan Versa, because they are so cheap on the used market, but I suppose there is reason for that...the infamous CVT.

Thanks for the detail on wat you want, an appliance on wheels :)

I've also owned Hyundai/Kia products I used an 2007 Elantra SE as a company car, driven pretty hard from new up until 127K miles when I sold it. Only thing it needed was a right front sway bar link. They can be a great value used. I don't think they are 200K cars like a Toyota or Honda may be. But, that may be ok as well as they are much less expensive to get into.

Maybe look for a Toyota Matric/Ponitac Vibe. Those are very reliable and have great utility as well. The 1.8 or 2.4 in them also uses a chain so no timing belt etc to mess with as well as port injection so no DI carbon issues over the long haul.

Back