Is the VW Golf a Bad Car?

In an effort to buy a small car without a CVT the Golf seems to be the only one available without this transmission.

I know German cars are usually unreliable, but are VW cars turds like Audi, BMW etc?

I own two but I have mad skills and do all my own maintenance and repairs. If you don't have these abilities you should join the rest of the herd and get what they do.
golfs519.jpg

Last edited:
VW Golf has been rated a Car & Driver 10 best for many, many years.

It will feel like a more put together car than many in its price range.
I've owned a 2016 Sportwagen, exceeds EPA mpg ratings (my average is higher than the hwy only rating), has great low-end torque and has never been to a dealer or needed a repair since buying. Almost at 70k miles now.

I also purchased it brand new, for $18.5k. Heck of a lot of car for the money. The new 1.4T / 8AT will get even better MPG and be nearly the same performance. If you get a 2018/19 model, they have a 6yr 72k bumper to bumper warranty.
I'd give them a hard look if in the market and do your best to haggle/deal on them. VWs got big markdowns after Dieselgate.

The Golf 7 makes everything else seem like a bad car. My 19 Alltrack S is how i define the perfect daily driver. A blend of agility, enough torque to be fun, still very small to park, yet you can fit just about anything in it. The interiors are quite good for the low price paid.
We shall see how long term durability is, my guess is no toyota!

I'm wrestling with this same question myself. Looking to replace a vehicle this year. I'm going to row my own boat, no more auto/cvt. Tired of being a lazy and shiftless driver. The only two (affordable) candidates are the aforementioned VW or the Subaru CrossTrek.

Similarly priced, very different cars.

Which and why? 🇩🇪 or 🇯🇵

The Mazda3 uses a geared automatic.

The Corolla SE uses a CVT with a launch gear. The SE has a bigger engine, gets better fuel economy and has more power
than the grandma Corolla LE.

? Corolla has a manual as does the impreza. The Yaris which is discontinued in 2021 (a mazda rebadge) has a manual also, and appears to be a very good value for the $$

Not sure why the OP thinks the golf is the only entry level manually equipped car.

? Corolla has a manual as does the impreza. The Yaris which is discontinued in 2021 (a mazda rebadge) has a manual also, and appears to be a very good value for the $$

Not sure why the OP thinks the golf is the only entry level manually equipped car.
Who said op wants a manual? My interpretation was they want a conventional auto.

I know German cars are usually unreliable, but are VW cars turds like Audi, BMW etc?

They're not unreliable if you know how to maintain them, but more importantly, WANT to maintain them properly. It's a love-love or love-hate relationship. If you're completely 100% on top of things, European cars are by far the best for the driving experience. If you slip to 90%, that's the downfall.........it's a quick, steep, expensive curve.

traditionally very good car; however, normally pricey, less space, and does not hold value to its competitors

I think they are good cars but I believe they have a reputation of not aging gracefully from an electrical/electronics perspective. They appear to me to be superior from a body/paint/rustproofing perspective.
^This. Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. Probably a pretty good car up to 150k miles, then it is amazing the avalanche of failures occurs. It's not just electronics, but suspension, bearings, transmission, you name it.

Hey parimento1, read this thread about a certain large domestic manufacturer and get back to us about turds:

Back