Is the New Pennzoil the Holy Grail of Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im quite interested in the new made from Natural Gas Pennzoil Synthetic! Is this new type of base stock from natual gas the holy grail of how oil will be made in the present & future?

There are too many use cases out there to say one product is the Holy Grail. Is it a compelling new offering? For sure. Is it the best choice for everyone? Not necessarily.

Well it's going to be a synthetic level oil, since engineered (hopefully) to have the same length molecules.

The fact it is coming from Gas and being combined into longer molecules, rather than from heavy oil getting cracked into shorter molecules, shouldn't make it any better or worse than other petroleum products.

At one time, certain magic elves, from a certain forest, on another forum below this one, might have considered another oil as nearer the Grail. They had more reason to chant such praises for that special elixir, than this particular oil might promise. But even that wonderful green fluid only came close.

No oil is ever really the Grail, at least not until the next formula comes out. But some get mighty close.

I'm sure these new oils are excellent, though.

The new GTL based PP and PU are all good products but there is nothing class leading with any of their oils.
Consequently I don't see how you can categorize them as having achieved some technical milestone (holy grail) that hasn't already been met by other GP III/IV formulations.

Holy grail for a 11 yo car with 334K miles that burns 1 qt/1500 miles? no it is not. $1.59 Citgo is the holy grail.

There is no best oil; i read that on the internet somewhere.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Im quite interested in the new made from Natural Gas Pennzoil Synthetic! Is this new type of base stock from natual gas the holy grail of how oil will be made in the present & future?

Not unless that Noack makes it back to what old Ultra was. Long live low Noack!

I pondered that question recently when I picked up oil for my 10 Mustang GT. I don't think we know yet if it is better or worse than a gp3. I ended up buying QUSUD again.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Well it's going to be a synthetic level oil, since engineered (hopefully) to have the same length molecules.

The fact it is coming from Gas and being combined into longer molecules, rather than from heavy oil getting cracked into shorter molecules, shouldn't make it any better or worse than other petroleum products.

That's a fantastic explanation. I'll be reusing it on this site in the future. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

not really. Its a good/great offering at a good pricepoint.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

What is synthetic level oil?

Its Group III+ which lumps it into the same category as really really refined conventional oil.

Then again thats not really bad.. either.

As some other oil base types have drawbacks you have to have extra additives to correct.

Last edited:
It is going to be a really good oil that has minimal impurities due to the fact that it can be controlled manufactued and not really have to be cleaned up like other dino oils. However, it will not be the holy grail of all vehicles it enters into because the vehicle itself will have many faults. The oil itself will not add to the faults of the vehicle but may not contribute to the additional faults that may be caused by inferior oils or contamination. That is only self speculation. By me of course

Originally Posted By: RGR

Low Noack is the holy grail? Now I've heard everything. Use a 20w-50 or SAE 40, or even a good 10w-30, and you'll have all the low Noack you'll ever want.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Low Noack is the holy grail? Now I've heard everything. Use a 20w-50 or SAE 40, or even a good 10w-30, and you'll have all the low Noack you'll ever want.

Well, focusing on Noack can't be ALL bad. It has been some of your Chevron charts that seemed to make this point pretty well, in terms of quality base stocks.

And when you can have a 5% Noack with a 5w-30, why would I want to use something heavier? At least while the car is in warranty?

And when you can have a 5% Noack with a 5w-30, why would I want to use something heavier? At least while the car is in warranty?

It is always a balancing act, though. I don't know how cost effective the previous PU was, but obviously, it was a bit of a sales nightmare. Low Noack is fine, if you can find the oil in the first place. One can have low Noack at a very low cost, which is why I indicated the bizarre grades.

Nonetheless, quality base stocks and low Noack aren't everything. That's part of the package. Look at the local Co-op's 0w-40 HDEO. It is primarily PAO (they really push that), yet has dated diesel specifications and some pretty unimpressive numbers (aside from the PAO specific numbers). No one can deny it's got a fantastic base stock, though. Yet, any off the shelf conventional 15w-40 meets more specifications and has more builder approvals. Go figure.

It is always a balancing act, though. I don't know how cost effective the previous PU was, but obviously, it was a bit of a sales nightmare. Low Noack is fine, if you can find the oil in the first place. One can have low Noack at a very low cost, which is why I indicated the bizarre grades.

I have been scouring the Denver area for PU, visited 3 new stores last night, collected 2 jugs of PU 5w-30 with the right bottling dates to have the fuel rewards codes under the cap. Collected some PPPP 5w-30 as well, it having a Noack of 10%…which while not as good as the 5% of PU, will just have to do.

The wife is starting to sound the alarm over the stash however, so I will soon be forced to scale back my quest for a massive low Noack stash in the proper weights.

I might also mention that even some 10w-30's appear to have a low Noack, such as PUP and PPPP. Only one machine I can conceivably use that on in the next couple years however, so I don't plan on stocking up on it.

Nonetheless, quality base stocks and low Noack aren't everything. That's part of the package. Look at the local Co-op's 0w-40 HDEO. It is primarily PAO (they really push that), yet has dated diesel specifications and some pretty unimpressive numbers (aside from the PAO specific numbers). No one can deny it's got a fantastic base stock, though. Yet, any off the shelf conventional 15w-40 meets more specifications and has more builder approvals. Go figure.

I try and stick close to builder requirements during warranty. Afterwards however, I just don't have enough temperature difference to worry about for the garaged machines. Otherwise I figure thinner isn't bad for short trip and low temp around town type stuff, something heavier for cross country trips, and just make sure it gets changed at reasonable intervals. Has worked okay for the last million miles of driving history, hopefully the track record will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back