Is the current spec Rotella different? worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2 OCI I noticed the latest stuff seems to run differently in my bike. And a few bike forums I'm on are talking about how people have seen decreased smoothness in shifting with the CJ4 spec compared to the CI4. I heard ZDDP levels are lower for emissions reasons. Any truth to that?

I plan to change the oil this weekend. I'm considering switching to Delo

How long has the CJ4 spec been out? I just switched out the rotella syn with the dino after 1000 miles in my 02 zx9r and the shifting is just as smooth with either oil. I bought this about a month ago so if it is the new spec then at least for me all seems well, although I cant really compare it too the old stuff as I never had any of it.

Quote:

How long has the CJ4 spec been out?

Started seeing it around the end of Novemeber. It has reduced ZDDP levels for emmisions in diesels, but much more than you would find in many other oils. Its not bad though.

Someone told me the Rotella syn is still available with the older spec. And Delo is going to be offered in both specs. Maybe I'll try one of those.

The Rotella 5W-40 synthetic is still the older CI-4+ specification. The "Triple Protection" 15W-40 is the new CJ-4 specification.

Yes, zinc and phosphorus are down, but still at levels above many other oils. The levels are sufficient to meeting JASO MA standards (no, the oil is NOT certified as JASO compliant ... Shell has not gone through the testing for that, or at least has not advertised it if they have). It appears Shell has added Boron as an anti-wear additive to offset some reduction in the zinc and phosphorus levels.

CJ-4 has been out since November of 2006 if my understanding is correct.

I have noticed the Delo now has that SM standard, I am wondering if it is gonna have the same type of performance in bikes as the new Rotella is seemingly doing...?

I don't know what oil was in my Honda Shadow to begin with, but I did my first oil change on it a few days ago and it shifts much better now with Rotella-T 15w-40. Although... I ran the bike at 90ish mph for around 15 minutes and now it has some ticking going on... I wonder how well the oil held up after that. BTW, 100mph is really taching this bike out, and taking a lot of throttle to hold it there, lol. But, everyone was doing it, I had to keep up. (Cars were flying)

From what I've read anything over 1200ppm isn't doing much anyway. And the only reason to add more would be to offset the ca. With the reduced ash levels of cj4, the ca has been reduced, so the zinc could be too and still have the same effect. Doubt the shift feel has anything to do with zinc levels anyway. I'm about 1500 miles into a run of 10w40 maxlife blend with 800/300ppm zinc/moly, and it is shifting better than any hdeo oil I've tried, even delo which had way more zinc and also used 200ppm moly. Not a recommedation just an observation about zinc vs shift feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back