Is Redline 5w30 the correct oil for my 2017 Mustang GT Weekend/Track Car Application

I don't know if your car is auto or manual transmission ,but if you're really abusing the car as you state !
I would be more worried about the transmission if its an auto.

I don't know if your car is auto or manual transmission , but if you're really abusing the car as you state !

Go 0W40. More PAO, generally Mobil1 position that oil higher in their hierarchy.
For sure. That seems to be what a lot of the track mustang community recommended too. Thanks for all the great info you shared!

I don't know if your car is auto or manual transmission , but if you're really abusing the car as you state !
The weak point on the 6th gen Mustang is actually the manual transmission (MT82), extremely prone to breaking. I have an auto so I don't worry as much.

Seems like Redline might be snake oil then huh. I am not too concerned about cost but I do want a good quality oil that gives me a peace of mind when I abuse the car on track. At the end of the day, oil is still cheaper than an engine replacement haha.

I noticed a lot of mustang owners users who track their cars using M1 0w40. Is there a reason why they use the 0w40 over the M1 5w40?

I have not tried 40-weight oil before, and I know they are labeled as "for european car". Like edyvw said above, is just that they go through more rigorous oil testing is that correct? and that 40 weight just happen to be the most common viscosity used for european cars. So is safe to run "european car" oil in my Ford right?
You’re hitting all the right questions here.

Red Line is not snake oil, I’m not sure how you got that impression. But it is primarily race oil.

Go 0W40. More PAO, generally Mobil1 position that oil higher in their hierarchy.

Red Line is not snake oil, I’m not sure how you got that impression. But it is primarily race oil.
If price is not an issue, would Redline 5w30 offer significantly better protection for my application than something like M1 0w40?

If price is not an issue, would Redline 5w30 offer significantly better protection for my application than something like M1 0w40?
No. Bith are good except Mobil1 is approved fir most stringent manufacturer specifications. Redline is self tested.
Also, Mobil1 will do better job on daily basis. Track oils are not the best option on the street. Street oils like Mobil1 are good on both street and track.

No. Bith are good except Mobil1 is approved fir most stringent manufacturer specifications. Redline is self tested.
Also, Mobil1 will do better job on daily basis. Track oils are not the best option on the street. Street oils like Mobil1 are good on both street and track.
good to know, that was my concern too running Redline when my car sees a lot of time on the street as well.

Seems like Redline might be snake oil then huh.

No, Red Line is not Snake Oil. However, there are some issues with some changes they made to their "High Performance" line of products that are somewhat upsetting, especially since they're not publishing these changes and customers have to contact them directly and repeatedly to get any information about these changes. And when they respond, the information that they provide is scarce, to say the least.

For example, Red Line reformulated their 0W-20 and 0W-30 oils. When I asked if the new 0W-30 is better or worse at wear protection, I was told that they are similar. I was also told that TBN retention is worse in the new product. The entire response was worded to make it seem like the new product is about as good as the old one. No, in fact the new product is worse, in so many ways. I also asked if they would publish the new specifications for 0W-30 on their website, and I was told that it was in production already for 5 months, and they would publish the new specifications once the reformulated motor oils had more market penetration. Really Red Line??? So I think I'm buying one product, but then I get something else?

I have a thread about it here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...0-and-0w-30-api-sp-elemental-analysis.362576/

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why I said to go with oil that is approved for Porsche A40 as that approval includes track testing.
The 0w40 technically should still meet the Ford Spec for my car right? I believe the 6th gen Mustangs is APN SN, which the M1 0w40 meets/exceeds.

The 0w40 technically should still meet the Ford Spec for my car right? I believe the 6th gen Mustangs is APN SN, which the M1 0w40 meets/exceeds.
API SN is not a spec, it's a license that limits certains aspects of a lubricant. That's the last thing you should worry about. M1 FS 0W-40 carries a Porsche A40 approval, which far exceeds the requirements of your engine. Your good to go, stop worrying about it.

No. Your Mustang was never spec'd for 0w-40 and it doesn't carry Ford's specific spec (see your owners manual). But you are splitting hairs here. API and Ford specs are a minimum. Is that what you want in your car?

Porsche A40 is a very tough approval. It won't "harm" you engine and would be my first priority when picking an oil (see sig).

Back