Is "Overlanding" a thing in your area yet?

Overlanding is not in my area but getting out off road to site sea or camp is. I do like the fact there are people out there enjoying their rigs & the great outdoors. What is wrong with that? Some people just want to attack others simply b/c they wouldn't do it or don't understand it.
I believe the vast majority of these rigs don't see dirt unless they need to park in overflow at the mall.

I know some guys out west who go into the desert, and down to Baja, etc. (through a forum). Most at this point have purpose built rigs for it, but when they didn't they took the traction boards and jerry cans off during the week when they drove them to work.

Here are some pics from a couple I know that like to camp on logging roads here in SE BC. You don’t get views like this from the KOA or the lobby of the Ritz- Carlton. Overlanding combines a love for camping with a love for four wheeling and turns it into a club activity. Going as a group provides some extra security, which otherwise may discourage a person from going into the back country by themselves. What’s not to like? The roof top tents might be a bit out there, but a least they’re quick to set up. For those who need hotels, well, not much you can do about that. ;)

View attachment 142436View attachment 142437
Oh yeah? We've had a variety of views in the 10 years of campgrounds. Personally I grew up on a farm and seen enough of trees and wilderness so I prefer variety.

In Colorado we have Earth Roamer. The president wanted an ultra off road rig. They take a bare Ford F-550 cab and go crazy. From what I can tell they start in the low 300k and I've seen stickers for 600k.

Hey, don’t bring reason or common sense into the label of “overlanding”….your boring phrase doesn’t sound edgy and adventurous!! The cool kids all need to label the groups they feel that they fit into.
Phrase developed. Market created. Products and lifestyle sold. Set me up with a Tacoma w/lift roof tent and 1.21 gigawats of Chinese LEDs!

Tacoma? Too small for me.

Maybe it’s time to pimp out my Tundra.

The shovel, jack, and axe strapped to a rack have a certain zombie apocalypse je ne sais quoi…

Tacoma? Too small for me.

Maybe it’s time to pimp out my Tundra.

The shovel, jack, and axe strapped to a rack have a certain zombie apocalypse je ne sais quoi…
Opps forgot the shovel etc. Meanwhile a lot of what I see I could tackle in my lowered awd station wagon.

Opps forgot the shovel etc. Meanwhile a lot of what I see I could tackle in my lowered awd station wagon.
The great thing about the high rack mounted tools, Jerry cans, gear, and water, as well as the roof mounted tent, is that they all raise the center of gravity.

Which is great when you’re negotiating actual off road terrain… Or looking for decent on road handling…

😏

One of these tricked out rigs needs to be a "Hot Wheels"....or it didn't happen.
I think getting her (the vehicle) belly wet and aggravating soil erosion is part of it.

And again with an overweight, angry looking guy with a beard. It is part of the marketing.

If it didn't hurt the fish, I'd love to see the rig in post #13 go bobbing down that river.

Phrase developed. Market created. Products and lifestyle sold. Set me up with a Tacoma w/lift roof tent and 1.21 gigawats of Chinese LEDs!
Overlanding was a real thing - once upon a time. In the 50's and 60's it was mostly driving land rover / land cruisers across Africa or SE Asia. A few went from Argentina to Alaska. Etc. It was before there were real roads to these places.

The Camel Trophy competition was born out of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy

Marketing has simply stolen the catch phrase, and turned it into "adding chinese bling" to your car. Which is why a lot of the older original off roaders now hate it, and don't use it.

Sleeps 42. Wut?

7B9C4AE6-D87F-45F8-B852-6327E46606D0.jpeg

Overlanding was a real thing - once upon a time. In the 50's and 60's it was mostly driving land rover / land cruisers across Africa or SE Asia. A few went from Argentina to Alaska. Etc. It was before there were real roads to these places.

Marketing has simply stolen the catch phrase, and turned it into "adding chinese bling" to your car. Which is why a lot of the older original off roaders now hate it, and don't use it.

That's the real overlanding. Now it's just people buying vehicles to drive on moderately maintained dirt roads in uncomfortable and expensive tents to look cool. No places to overland in the midwest really anyways....

Last edited:
Not a thing in Virginia either, and if you go down the wrong dirt road expect some paranoid nut to pull a gun on you. Happens and makes the papers at least once a year.
The GW national forest...yep....that can/does happen. Densly vegetated/narrow double track and a wrong turn can be a bad day!

The GW national forest...yep....that can/does happen. Densly vegetated/narrow double track and a wrong turn can be a bad day!

Just driving around on regular roads and the road ends and turns into someone's driveway...

But it does have a happy ending:

Just driving around on regular roads and the road ends and turns into someone's driveway...

But it does have a happy ending:

I work in rural areas all the time on the east coast as a geologist/mineral exploration. Anyone that lives in the middle of nowehere and still has fences/no-trespassing sings is 100% crazy in my experience and should be left alone....not even to turn aroud. Too bad it's accidental sometimes.

Back