Is MC 5w-20 still held in high regard here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blended syn, SM, GF4, lots of folks run it out to 7500, lots of others consider it good to 5k. A 5 quart jug goes for 9-$12.00. What's not to like?
dunno.gif

Motorcraft blend is a known and respected entity here, I believe..
cheers.gif

It seems as motor oil prices have climbed, so has the price of MC. At one time it was one of the lesser expensive oils on the shelves and a syn blend at that. Now the price of MC is up there with many of the other very good brands of dino so the competition is stiff. Still a fine choice.

Read some of the UOAs on MC, they're stellar. I used to use Mobil 1 or GC but reading the UOAs convinced me to try the MC. If you're following the manurfacturer's OCI recomendation, in my case 5K, the MC is a fine oil at a reasonable price. If you're interested in extending your OCIs look to a full synthetic with a better add pack such as Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil or GC.

I consider myself a fan of Motorcraft and all the CP oils.
the 5qt jug at Walmart is an outstanding value. As are the Tropartic and kendall oils that can be found at very good prices. They seem to follow a differnt formualtion concept but the results are good. Actually all the SM oils made today regardless of the formulation and individual additive proprtions meet stringent performance requirements. It's inbteresting to see how many ways there is to meet this requirement.

I've yet to see any evidence that it is exceptionally better than any other SM/GF-4 5w20 oil.

I'm agreeing with the Critic on this one. There is certainly nothing wrong with MC 5W-20, but more stellar than the stars in the group? No.

Let me put it this way - the 5W-20's were "supposed" to be whimps, chimps an useless foo-foo waters -which if they didn't immediately cause complete seizure - would at least lead to engines dieing at less than 100K mles. I, for one, am still amazed at the UOA's, after these what, 3-4 years?

MC is great juice in the world of motor oils, but just in the pack with it's peers.
fighter.gif

Well, sure, but it passes all the Ford standards (as we would expect from a mMotorcraft product), SM/GF4, etc., etc.

It is always mentioned, Mr. Pablo, with the accompanying statement, "For the price", and "For 3-5K OCI".

Amsoil and M-1 sales are safe!
laugh.gif

Quote:

Well, sure, but it passes all the Ford standards (as we would expect from a mMotorcraft product), SM/GF4, etc., etc.

It is always mentioned, Mr. Pablo, with the accompanying statement, "For the price", and "For 3-5K OCI".

Amsoil and M-1 sales are safe!
laugh.gif

I've been going with approx. 3k oil changes at the dealership because I only drive about 5-6k miles per year.

The dealership uses MC oil and filters.

Well, 06, if you're going once to twice a year (or so) OCI, you'll be fine with 5W20 MC. I believe it's a high percentage of group 3 anyway, just due to the fact that it passed SM/GF4 testing. This is why the "Dino" oils are so close to Syn after all..

Not to worry.

I don't buy for one microsecond the simplistic and unsupported notion that going "to a syn-blend" was the only avenue open to ConocoPhillips (the blender of Motorcraft oils) to meet SM specs. It was simply a way, and a very cheap one at that, since ConocoPhillips scored an exclusive distribution coup in the U.S. for Group III base stocks from Korea's S-Oil company.

Quote:

I don't buy for one microsecond the simplistic and unsupported notion that going "to a syn-blend" was the only avenue open to ConocoPhillips (the blender of Motorcraft oils) to meet SM specs. It was simply a way, and a very cheap one at that, since ConocoPhillips scored an exclusive distribution coup in the U.S. for Group III base stocks from Korea's S-Oil company.

I tend to agree. The difference between Chevron 5R, the Group II+ used in Havoline and Chevron 5w20/5w30, and the Group III from Korea that ConnocoPhillips uses is probably neglible at best.

Most oil companies meet the SM specs with Group II+. Connoco Phillips chose to meet it by using a blend of a lower VI Group II and a (marginally) higher VI Group III.

Just my
twocents.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back