Is M1 better now then in 07? M1 EP necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been out of the loop with motor oil for a while...

When Mobil 1 Extended Performance was first introduced, I remember that the Mobil 1 synthetic oil became a mixed synthetic blend for a small time, and at that time I switched to M1 EP and never looked back.

I change my vehicles oil every October (once a year) and wind up putting around 8000-9000 miles on each of the two vehicles per year.

Has Mobil 1 Supersyn (non-EP) changed? Has it improved? Is it a waste of money to pay the extra few bucks per quart for a 9k interval?

M1 EP 5w30 is always out of stock in most every location where I live. I usually spend a few days to a week waiting/searching for M1 EP.

It takes even longer to find a good deal, as the average price per quart here is around $9.50.

This time I got lucky, and found a 5 liter jug of M1 EP 5w30 for $29.99, but usually I have to settle with a bad price or no product at all.

The Mobil 1 synthetic (non-ep) is much easier to find, and cheaper.

Opinions on a 9k interval per year on M1 vs. M1 EP? I *thought* I heard M1 was much better now then it was half a decade ago. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say Mobil 1 is better because it has to meet the new specs required by OEM's. Mobil 1 EP is better and worth the extra money for the once a year OCI you do!

On the other hand, you just might be able to do the 1 year OCI on reqular Mobil 1, but I would do a UOA to confirm. Out here in the NorthWest, all the flavors of Mobil 1 are about 6.50 and 7.50 for EP. I can get 0w40 at BiMart for 5.99 right now.

You're all confused.

1) You have been using M 1EP 15K oil.

2) There is regular M1 10K oil.

3) You are calling reg M1, M1 Supersyn. There is no such thing.

4) Now there is Mobil Super Synthetic a group 3 synthetic. That's differant than any M1 oil.

I remember Mobil 1 Tri Syn,and then Mobil 1 Supersyn,and now it`s Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic,right?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember Mobil 1 Tri Syn,and then Mobil 1 Supersyn,and now it`s Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic,right?

Right....before Tri-Syn it was 'Advanced Formula'.
It's almost definite that some versions of Mobil 1 were/are better than others. I had been told that Tri-Syn SJ wasn't particularly great but the SL version was better after it received a lot of moly.

Is it the SM or SL version that's reputed to be less than awesome?

The Mobil Super Synthetic that Tig references is a 7500 mile oil. Tig has been using M1 with a 10K mile oci forever with good success. Whether it would work for you at 10K interval would depend upon the vehicle and type of service.

Regular M1 should be able to handle your 8-9k OCIs but i also recommend a UOA to confirm and then you can proceed to keep on using it and save money in the process.

M1 EP is good stuff though and worth the peace of mind but again, if you aren't really benefiting from it's extended drain capabilities, might as well use the regular juice.

Mobil 1 SM never impressed me with their UOAs I read on this site when I wasn't a member.

I had two 5L jugs that I sold at school (SM) for 30$ a jug and took that money and bought two jugs of QSUD because of the high Fe numbers on relatively short runs I have read about with Mobil 1.

Their SN formula now has the same wear numbers as Sopus, so I don't think there is any difference anymore.

Get the M1 EP and M1 filter deal at autozone. They run it every 2 months.No uoa needed. You car is an asset:Your oil an expense. Run the EP

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Get the M1 EP and M1 filter deal at autozone. They run it every 2 months.No uoa needed. You car is an asset:Your oil an expense. Run the EP

So you're recommending a 1,300 mile OCI with Mobil 1 EP and an M1 filter. Seems a tad excessive.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
FZ1 said:

So you're recommending a 1,300 mile OCI with Mobil 1 EP and an M1 filter. Seems a tad excessive. [/quote ]

I think if you read what he said it means that autozone runs the special every 2 months.

Hah! Time for a stronger prescription!

lol:)

M1 High Mileage seems to be one of their best formulas.
No matter what M1 flavor you go with, try to catch it when Autozone or Advance run the specials.

The price at Advance when they run the specials is usually between $32.99 - $34.99 for 5 qts of whatever M1 you want ,and a M1 filter.

It seems they run the special every other month.

I have only used the Regular M1. It is factory fill on lots of cars that have OLM's that run the oil out to 10K+ miles so it is FINE for your use. I don't think the EP is necessary, but then again for few dollars are getting a little safety net so the choice is yours.

The other (new addition) to the Mobil oil line up is the cheaper SUPER syn and it is, as others have said, a basic synthetic oil. No need to use this.

So you're recommending a 1,300 mile OCI with Mobil 1 EP and an M1 filter. Seems a tad excessive.
Huh? AUTOZONE runs the 5 quart with a M1 filter deal every 2 months. That's what I said.

Huh? AUTOZONE runs the 5 quart with a M1 filter deal every 2 months. That's what I said.

lol yep and that is what i told him 6 posts above yours and he acknowledged 5 posts up from yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back