Is Group V the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want to use a Grp V?
You apparently missed out on all of the FAR G-Oil, but you could go to Walmart and buy a jug for $21.00 on clearance.
You could even talk to a manager and maybe get a deal if you took all of the dusty jugs of G-Oil.
Then you'd have an inexpensive Grp V basestock oil to scratch that itch.
Why do you want to use Red Line?
The few UOAs posted here are nothing special in terms of wear metals or TBN retention.
I know that there are alibis for both, though, related to Red Line's cleaning debris left behind by lesser oils as well as the high virgin TAN level.
In what way would a Grp V basestock be best?
I can't think of one offhand.
OTOH, if you call Red Line, you get to talk to a real person with real technical expertise.
Doubt that will happen with G-Oil, M1, any SOPUS flavor or any other OTS brand you can think of.
Don't just limit yourself to Red Line, either.
There's always RLI.

One fact that really needs to catch on here at Bitog is that motor oils are ALWAYS blends of different base stocks.

Comparing one base stock with another without realizing the actual blend in the product is largely irrelevant.

Quote:
So you want to use a Grp V?
You apparently missed out on all of the FAR G-Oil, but you could go to Walmart and buy a jug for $21.00 on clearance.
You could even talk to a manager and maybe get a deal if you took all of the dusty jugs of G-Oil.
Then you'd have an inexpensive Grp V basestock oil to scratch that itch.

I don't think so.

There is no data whatsover to support the myth that G-OIL is a majority GroupV oil.

Last edited:
Okay.
You have more industry knowledge than anyone else here does.
What basestock does (did?) G-Oil full synthetic use and where did they source it?
If it really just Korean Grp III?

The best oil maybe the one that has the OEM certified approvals for the engine in question.

This helps simplify the engine oil selection process for vehicle owners such as myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay.
You have more industry knowledge than anyone else here does.
What basestock does (did?) G-Oil full synthetic use and where did they source it?
If it really just Korean Grp III?

Reread Mola's post "there is No Data" otherwise he would be able to make a call on the base oils used.

Not refering to his statement.
He does have a wealth of knowledge and I'd like to hear his well informed opinion as to what basestock is used in G-Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back