Is Group V the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavily favoring putting 50% Redline oil into the mix in my 4.3 when it comes back. Liking the Redline 0W-20 since it is a thin 30-weight - sounding perfect for my engine. I am loathe to use 10W-40 conventional.

The other half would probably be a 5W-30 conventional, high in moly. I stocked up on clearance, but that other half may end up being a quart GC 0W-30. Eventually.

I heard Group V "sticks to the metal parts inside" better on start-up, then enables engine to run silky smooth.

I even have a quart of Redline 0W-30 coming, whenever Amazon.com decides to ship it.

Thoughts and opinions?

My stash is:

2 Jugs Maxlife Nextgen 5W-30 *this is the high-moly conventional, the best Nextgen IMHO
1 Jug Maxlife Nextgen 10W-30 *use in summer as the other half? Or all of it before the Redline gets here?
2 quarts or so Supertech 20W-50 left (from the knackered engines)
* soon-to-be 1 qaurts Redline 0W-20, 1 quart Redline 0W-30.

Was going to put MMO and Seafoam in the oil, too. No moly additive, due to the moly in the oils already.

Theoretically Group V can be made to be the "best" I suppose, but no it's not that simple and therefore not the best.

"Best" is a moving target.

No offense, but the 4.3 is far from an exotic, has very low power density, and is relatively easy on oil.

Why not something a little more ordinary?

Yes RL is formulated with polyol esters which are polar in nature and high levels of ZDDP and moly which are also polar.

So yes you can mix it with what you have but I don't see any performance advantage over any OTC 5W-30 syn for your application.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Why not something a little more ordinary?

Judging based on the concoctions he used to put into his Volvo, nothing ordinary will do.

I can't imagine spending the $$ for Redline and then neutering its chemistry by playing home oil blender. Its one of the more engineered products out there- use it as it comes out of the bottle, or not at all IMO. But then I'd say the same thing for M1, RP, and Pennzoil Ultra. Maybe not so much SuperTech, but even there I don't think you have even the remotest chance of blending up anything significantly better than the professionals with multimillion dollar laboratories and test equipment can come up with....

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I don't see any performance advantage over any OTC 5W-30 syn for your application.

+1

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would recommend if you are going to use RL just keep it to a 25% mixture for your application.

Why?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I can't imagine spending the $$ for Redline and then neutering its chemistry by playing home oil blender. Its one of the more engineered products out there- use it as it comes out of the bottle, or not at all IMO. But then I'd say the same thing for M1, RP, and Pennzoil Ultra. Maybe not so much SuperTech, but even there I don't think you have even the remotest chance of blending up anything significantly better than the professionals with multimillion dollar laboratories and test equipment can come up with....

01.gif

There is not a technical reason why I am making this recommendation. I make it to help you keep your Red Line stash twice as long. For this application the benefits of Red Line would be hard to use.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Agree.

Unfortunately, with synergy and antagonism being a reality between different additives and also between base oils and additives, by mixing you are more likely to create antagonism than synergy by mixing very different motor oils.
With synergy, 1+1 may equal 3.
With antagonism, 1+1 may equal 0.7.
If you want a better oil, use a better oil without mixing it with anything. If you want to use up old stock, it is very reasonable from a cost perspective to mix different oils.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Unfortunately, with synergy and antagonism being a reality between different additives and also between base oils and additives, by mixing you are more likely to create antagonism than synergy by mixing very different motor oils.
With synergy, 1+1 may equal 3.
With antagonism, 1+1 may equal 0.7.
If you want a better oil, use a better oil without mixing it with anything. If you want to use up old stock, it is very reasonable from a cost perspective to mix different oils.

+1 Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back