Optimal oil for a C6 Corvette?

I use the old standby M1 5w-30 and a M1-113A in my 2009 LS3.

Attachments

• 2009_chevrolet_corvette-pic-1346231099060565219-1024x768.jpeg
    2009_chevrolet_corvette-pic-1346231099060565219-1024x768.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
How do I know the harmonic balancer wobble is present? Is it at idle? Since I didn´t buy it new I don´t have a baseline to hear or feel something abnormal.

Thanks for this great info, btw!
Its pretty obvious if it has a wobble and noticeable at idle. It can also cause a belt chirp at start-up. The HB should look like all the other pulleys when spinning. I first noticed mine had a very slight wobble at 45k and by 50k I parked it until I could get it fixed. It got way worse pretty quickly. You can still drive the car if it has a minor wobble, just keep it below 3k rpm just to be safe until you can get it fixed.

If it is, the Supercar is cheaper. It is less than $10 per quart at Walmart. But the Euro 0w40 is even less at under $27 for a jug. The Euro also looks like it has more POA according to the PDS. But I agree, EP 5w30 is great oil, too. More than enough for my driving. The only reason I´d move to Euro 0w40 is to save $2 per jug.
Buy it NOW and save more. There is a Mobile 1 rebate now. Save $5/jug of Mobile 1 0W-40. I just bought 2

Its pretty obvious if it has a wobble and noticeable at idle. It can also cause a belt chirp at start-up. The HB should look like all the other pulleys when spinning. I first noticed mine had a very slight wobble at 45k and by 50k I parked it until I could get it fixed. It got way worse pretty quickly. You can still drive the car if it has a minor wobble, just keep it below 3k rpm just to be safe until you can get it fixed.
Ok, I looked at it this morning and while there is no noise or squeak, it does have a slight wobble. All the other pulleys are smooth as silk. Does that descripton make it sound like it is failing or has failed?

It looks to me like it will need to be replaced. Doesn´t look like a super hard job. Debating trying it myself or having a shop do it. I have access to a very good shop that specializes in LS motors. Owner is a friend of my nephew. Norris Motorsports. Might be good to have him inspect the engine while at it. But doing it myself saves money I can put into replacing worn out speakers and adding a new head unit with Android Auto for navigation. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Ok, I looked at it this morning and while there is no noise or squeak, it does have a slight wobble. All the other pulleys are smooth as silk. Does that descripton make it sound like it is failing or has failed?

It looks to me like it will need to be replaced. Doesn´t look like a super hard job. Debating trying it myself or having a shop do it. I have access to a very good shop that specializes in LS motors. Owner is a friend of my nephew. Norris Motorsports. Might be good to have him inspect the engine while at it. But doing it myself saves money I can put into replacing worn out speakers and adding a new head unit with Android Auto for navigation. Hmmm.
Yes its starting to go. It may stay that way for awhile or it may get worse quickly like mine did. The rubber isolator part of the balancer starts to deteriorate over time, and one it gets out of balance and wobbles, it will speed up the process toward failure. Failure is when the balancer turns into two separate pieces and can cause damage to the crank itself.
It's a bigger job than it appears. If you have access to a lift, it will make your life much easier. It can be done on the ground with the vehicle lifted, but it will not be fun. There are some special tools required for the job as well. This video shows you what to expect if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Also, there is a Tesla style full touchscreen available for the C6, looks pretty slick.

Yes its starting to go. It may stay that way for awhile or it may get worse quickly like mine did. The rubber isolator part of the balancer starts to deteriorate over time, and one it gets out of balance and wobbles, it will speed up the process toward failure. Failure is when the balancer turns into two separate pieces and can cause damage to the crank itself.
It's a bigger job than it appears. If you have access to a lift, it will make your life much easier. It can be done on the ground with the vehicle lifted, but it will not be fun. There are some special tools required for the job as well. This video shows you what to expect if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Also, there is a Tesla style full touchscreen available for the C6, looks pretty slick.

I watched that very video today. No way I'm doing it. I'll update soon as I am exploring options.

That touch screen is badass!

I had a new harmonic balencer installed....Dayco. One that shouldn't fail. I had them install new belts and do an alignment, as well. So it is all ship shape now. I also sucked out and refilled the clutch fluid and replaced the Evap vent solenoid, which was causing a CEL. Oh, I also changed out the diff fluid with AC Delco LS 75w90. Next up is transmission fluid (manual). I have some Mobil 1 ATF that I found on clearance at Autozone or Advanced Auto (Can't remember which.)

I'm going to run the EP 5w30 to 3k and then change it probably to M1 0w40 or 5w40 Euro, because it is a couple bucks cheaper.

I appreciate all the great advice!

Back