Is BITOG an endangered species?

So based on physics and the real world it’s rather difficult to fit lots of 200lb armored hydrogen tanks all over the car without risking a dangerous situation

1654177575924.jpg

I think that's farfetched.

To translate it into ICE terms, imagine drivers of fuel-efficient cars demanding inefficient SUVs and pickups get charged more at the gas pump to penalize them for driving the prices up, and enforcing it with different filler neck and pump nozzle designs.
How about a dedicated tap off the homeowner's existing meter pan with it's own disconnect and smart meter for ev owners? Let the ev charging be exclusive to the utility company they can set their rates based on day or night charging frequency of charges etc.

How about a dedicated tap off the homeowner's existing meter pan with it's own disconnect and smart meter for ev owners? Let the ev charging be exclusive to the utility company they can set their rates based on day or night charging frequency of charges etc.

Utility companies won't do that unless someone makes them do it, and who's going to make them? The government? They want to increase EV adoption, not throw up roadblocks to it. Customers complaining about rates? If the utilities respond to that at all, their first response is not going to be, "Yeah, we'll roll out an expensive program to punish your neighbors for buying more of our product than you do."

Enforcement would be unworkable. Consider the costs of monitoring every house to make sure they haven't altered their charger connection.

Ford and SK Innovation are building a 1,500-acre "battery park" in Glendale, KY, just five miles from me, that will have 5,000 employees and is costing them $5.8 billion. It's supposed to open in 2025. I-65 is getting a better interchange at Exit 86 to serve the park which will be called the "Blue Oval SK Battery Park". Frankly, if I ever had any interest in an all-electric vehicle, it was lost back in January when I visited friends in Fargo, ND who showed me around town in their Toyota Venza Hybrid. It was a rather balmy day, just 11 below zero, and maybe they thought they didn't need heat, but I about froze perhaps because the engine rarely ran. Will an all-electric vehicle have enough heat in a North Dakota winter? I won't be interested in an all-electric vehicle until I won't have to sacrifice any of the creature comforts that my present vehicles provide. However, there is a mad rush underway, with billions of dollars being spent, to somehow move the needle to all-electric. I just wonder what will happen to the auto industry in Kentucky where the Japanese brought their keiretsu with them to supply them with so many components needed for an ICE-powered automobile, factories like Aisin in London, KY (water pumps) - too many to mention but Kentucky is ranked #1 for automotive production per capita in the US (from Think Kentucky, 2020). All of these displaced workers can't possibly move to Glendale, KY to work at the battery plant. I just don't see it happening like the powers-that-be think it will. And not only that, my buddy who teaches college chemistry says hydrogen vehicles are right around the corner. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Kentucky just sold Manhattan for a box of trinkets.

Utility companies won't do that unless someone makes them do it, and who's going to make them? The government? They want to increase EV adoption, not throw up roadblocks to it. Customers complaining about rates? If the utilities respond to that at all, their first response is not going to be, "Yeah, we'll roll out an expensive program to punish your neighbors for buying more of our product than you do."

Enforcement would be unworkable. Consider the costs of monitoring every house to make sure they haven't altered their charger connection.
With our technology they can increase, decrease your internet speed remotely and turn you off remotely. All very doable.. there will just be another esim carrying 5g polluting device screwed to the side of ones home. How can it be altered? You get my drift it will be a utility that has to be paid.. what happens when you dont obey track rules? Go kart man turns off your kart.

Ford and SK Innovation are building a 1,500-acre "battery park" in Glendale, KY, just five miles from me, that will have 5,000 employees and is costing them $5.8 billion. It's supposed to open in 2025. I-65 is getting a better interchange at Exit 86 to serve the park which will be called the "Blue Oval SK Battery Park". Frankly, if I ever had any interest in an all-electric vehicle, it was lost back in January when I visited friends in Fargo, ND who showed me around town in their Toyota Venza Hybrid. It was a rather balmy day, just 11 below zero, and maybe they thought they didn't need heat, but I about froze perhaps because the engine rarely ran. Will an all-electric vehicle have enough heat in a North Dakota winter? I won't be interested in an all-electric vehicle until I won't have to sacrifice any of the creature comforts that my present vehicles provide. However, there is a mad rush underway, with billions of dollars being spent, to somehow move the needle to all-electric. I just wonder what will happen to the auto industry in Kentucky where the Japanese brought their keiretsu with them to supply them with so many components needed for an ICE-powered automobile, factories like Aisin in London, KY (water pumps) - too many to mention but Kentucky is ranked #1 for automotive production per capita in the US (from Think Kentucky, 2020). All of these displaced workers can't possibly move to Glendale, KY to work at the battery plant. I just don't see it happening like the powers-that-be think it will. And not only that, my buddy who teaches college chemistry says hydrogen vehicles are right around the corner. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Kentucky just sold Manhattan for a box of trinkets.

New technologies are disruptive, but they come whether we like it or not. ICE is either doomed completely, or will become a niche; either way, most of those jobs are going to go away, subsidies notwithstanding. The choice is not whether we move to EV or stay with ICE; rather, it's whether our move to EV is going to be in vehicles built here, or in China. (And yes, China is already way ahead of us on this. Remember Volvo is a Chinese company now, and they're moving to all-electric as fast as they can.)

Regarding the Venza not having enough heat, remember the original VW Beetle didn't have a cabin heater at all. VW fixed that eventually, and Toyota will fix it too if it wants to be in that market. Electric heat is a thing :D

Regarding the Venza not having enough heat, remember the original VW Beetle didn't have a cabin heater at all. VW fixed that eventually, and Toyota will fix it too if it wants to be in that market. Electric heat is a thing
Did vw drop the heat pump? Think it was vw that found out the heat pump wasn't efficient enough

With our technology they can increase, decrease your internet speed remotely and turn you off remotely. All very doable.. there will just be another esim carrying 5g polluting device screwed to the side of ones home. How can it be altered? You get my drift it will be a utility that has to be paid.. what happens when you dont obey track rules? Go kart man turns off your kart.
Data is not electricity. Data packets can be identified by source and content; electrons can't.

But even if you were right and it could be done, it still doesn't answer the question of who will make them do it.

Data is not electricity. Data packets can be identified by source and content; electrons can't.

But even if you were right and it could be done, it still doesn't answer the question of who will make them do it.
The electric companies will get some sort of kickback "tax energy credits" and simply the way the world is going its becoming a subscription based lifestyle.

Could you explain your energy density comment? I must be misunderstanding something as everything I have read suggests hydrogen having an energy density that is at least an order of magnitude (10X) higher than lithium ion batteries. This is from a presentation by Toyota's chief scientist:View attachment 102366
I can't read your chart, but batteries always have a low energy density. Try comparing gaseous hydrogen to a liquid hydrocarbon and make sure you're comparing mass vs. volume. You can't have a huge fuel tank on an automobile. Low energy density per volume is a better term.

If you need a visual demonstration look at the external fuel tank for the Space Shuttle (and this was after expending enormous energy to liquify the gas). It's a poor choice for a first-stage on a rocket for the same reasons and why the Saturn V used RP-1.

I think that's farfetched.

To translate it into ICE terms, imagine drivers of fuel-efficient cars demanding inefficient SUVs and pickups get charged more at the gas pump to penalize them for driving the prices up, and enforcing it with different filler neck and pump nozzle designs.
Not quite the same analogy. I highly doubt people who don't own an EV are going to be happy paying higher power bills for their home just because everyone is charging their EVs at home and putting a much larger load on the power grid. What's going to help pay for all the new and upgraded infrastructure of the power grid to take care of the increase in power demand for EV charging?

If people had gasoline pumped to their house to put in their vehicles, there would still be some kind of "gas tax" on it. Same will most likely become the case for power being used to charge EVs at home too. My guess is someday there will be some kind of "extra cost" for the power to charge an EV at home vs the power used to watch your big screen TV. As more EVs hit the roads, the tax machine will latch onto them too, just like ICE vehicles. I highly doubt it will go unchecked forever. The early EV adapters are getting a "deal" on home charging power right now.

Last edited:
They better find a way to separate EV charging power from normal household use power because the non-EV owners won't be wanting to subsidize the EV users charging at home. Separate power meter on the house for EV charging that is charged at a higher cost rate than the normal house use power.

My area already does that, but it’s optional. And the EV rates are significantly cheaper (if you charge off-peak.)

That’s the old method anyway. Now they have EVSEs connected to the internet. So the power company can see exactly what/when the car is consuming. It’s also how they’ll be able to meet demand - they can turn off EVSEs remotely, just like they’ve done with central A/C Units for decades to help with demand issues.

My area already does that, but it’s optional. And the EV rates are significantly cheaper (if you charge off-peak.)

That’s the old method anyway. Now they have EVSEs connected to the internet. So the power company can see exactly what/when the car is consuming. It’s also how they’ll be able to meet demand - they can turn off EVSEs remotely, just like they’ve done with central A/C Units for decades to help with demand issues.
Controlled EV charging during off-peak times will definitely help keep the cost of power down. But if the whole world someday goes electric for everything known to mankind, there may not be much "off-peak" times going on, depending on how they keep up the infrastructure to meet demand. I highly doubt the cost of charging EVs is going to go down with time ... only up, especially if the tax man starts tacking on targeted taxes on power used for EV charging (similar to a gas tax for the roads, etc).

Let me say up front, I know very, very little about Electric Vehicles (EV) from a mechanical standpoint.

Does a Tesla need any type of lubrication? Maybe some 90wt in a differential.... possibly?

I have read no less than 4 articles in financial periodicals, predicting $200 a barrel oil, which will lead to $8-$10 a gallon Regular Gas.

Most of us have seen the EV line-ups of new vehicles to be released in the next 2-5 years from Ford, Chevy, Dodge, VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc.... If you look closely at advertising line-ups, they aren't even touting a single combustion engine vehicle.

What are your predictions and thoughts regarding your personal vehicle situation in the coming years? I know there is a contingent here that takes the stance they will die in there gas guzzling combustion engine rig..... But will you be able to afford $10 a gallon gas, even if you stick to your guns?

What you think....???? Is BITOG quickly on its way to being a dead forum, because everyone will be in an EV in 5 years?

Oh... and don't forget, you will probably be 'influenced' into an electric lawn mower, electric trimmer, electric chain saw, electric motorcycle, etc.....

Personally, I think it is an intentional strategy to force everyone into EV's, but let's be careful here and stay away from ..... ie. totally avoid a political debate.
As long as I keep saying NO to EV, I will always need BITOG. I'm sure I will be long gone (hopefully) when this country finally decides to convert from fossil fueled vehicles to EV.
When we start refining/drilling our own oil again in 2024 that will put a damper on EV for a while. ;) (y)

Not quite the same analogy. I highly doubt people who don't own an EV are going to be happy paying higher power bills for their home just because everyone is charging their EVs at home and putting a much larger load on the power grid. What's going to help pay for all the new and upgraded infrastructure of the power grid to take care of the increase in power demand for EV charging?
The same capitalist profit model that pays for any new manufacturing facilities to meet any new demand for any product. Electricity isn't special in this regard.

No one needed to worry about who would build and pay for the increased demand for oil refineries when ICE vehicles began to boom. Nobody needed to worry about who would build out electric generating capacity when electric heat and appliances began to push out gas and oil for those uses. The oil companies and power utilities saw those things as a business opportunity, not a crisis. This is no different.

I think it's pertinent to mention here that I myself no longer have any skin in this game. My electric power comes from my roof, and I scaled the system with enough capacity to allow for a future EV purchase someday. At worst I might have to add one or two more panels. I'm still connected to the grid, but my net usage from the grid is negative.

Back