Is anyone running Chevron Delo XSP 5w-40 yet in a gas turbo car?

Is anyone running Chevron Delo XSP 5w-40 yet in a gas turbo car? I think that is going to be an oil I will be trying in my Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I like the -51 F pour point for Minnesota winters. I just need to use up my Mobil1 ESP. I am open to comments and opinions on this move. Just an FYI Hyundai has upped the 2.0 turbos to 5w-40 because of their oil film barrier problem with a couple of their motors. While the 1.6 T doesn't seem to have the issue to a high level, it is a Hyundai and anything to help the turbo motor live to a high mileage point the better. I am on boost ( 17 PSI at 1,450) more then most. I also have a +5 % ^ fuel dilution problem in Minnesota winters and also short trip 99% of the time. And triple no, to Dexos1 Gen 2 oils. I want to stay above 10 @100C and ^ 3.5 HTHS.

So I see the new Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro is now SN+, but it has a pour point of -36 vs Delo XSP 5w-40 and that oil is SN+ too. minus the gas certs,-- comment please.

I had a 2016 Veloster Turbo with a 1.6T, usually I ran QSUD or QS Synblend 5w30 or 5w40, the engine made less noise with the 5w40.

I wouldn't put Delo in it, but that's up to you. Hyundai's specs for this engine used to be weird.

"ACEA A1/A5 but we also recommend using Quaker State or Shell Helix"

Yeah. At the same time, FF is QSGB, No QS is ACEA A1/A5 anymore, and Shell Helix is rarely available in the US

I'm guessing it has a 5K OCI, spend the extra 2-3$ and grab the QSUD

QSUD 5w30 pour point is -50 C (-58 F)
QSUD 5w40 Euro is -39 C (-38.2 F)
QS Synblend 5w30 is -45 C (-49 F)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
Is anyone running Chevron Delo XSP 5w-40 yet in a gas turbo car? I think that is going to be an oil I will be trying in my Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I like the -51 F pour point for Minnesota winters. I just need to use up my Mobil1 ESP. I am open to comments and opinions on this move. Just an FYI Hyundai has upped the 2.0 turbos to 5w-40 because of their oil film barrier problem with a couple of their motors. While the 1.6 T doesn't seem to have the issue to a high level, it is a Hyundai and anything to help the turbo motor live to a high mileage point the better. I am on boost ( 17 PSI at 1,450) more then most. I also have a +5 % ^ fuel dilution problem in Minnesota winters and also short trip 99% of the time. And triple no, to Dexos1 Gen 2 oils. I want to stay above 10 @100C and ^ 3.5 HTHS.

So I see the new Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro is now SN+, but it has a pour point of -36 vs Delo XSP 5w-40 and that oil is SN+ too. minus the gas certs,-- comment please.

Look forward to hearing more from other gas engine users of Delo XSP 5w-40 or 5w-30...

I use it in my diesel car, a 2015 MB Bluetec 2.1 with 101K miles that calls for MB Spec 228.51 which this oil attains. It works fine on a 7500 mile change cycle but I have upped my frequency to 5k miles. Recent oil analysis shows I'm good probably for a 10k change but I'm very finicky particularly plus 100k miles on the vehicle. I'd venture it will be more than able to handle the rigors of a gasoline engine that operates at far lower pressures than a diesel.

I've had great UOAs on Castrol Edge 0w-40 with regard to fuel dilution and short trips with VW EA888, which is a notorious diluter. Holds up well, and keeps good film strength even with 3-5% dilution. >-45F PP, >3.5 HTHS, 13.xx@100C, easy to get (Wally) and cheap. What more would ya need? Slightly lower visc? Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL3 (VW 504.00 + others). I say save the Delo for the oil burners ;).

Is the IsoClean version available in small jugs or buckets, or only in bulk from a local distributor?

... I use it in my diesel car, a 2015 MB Bluetec 2.1 with 101K miles that calls for MB Spec 228.51 which this oil attains...
If you're talking about the OM651 engine, the spec was 229.51 but they later upgraded it 229.52. The former were mostly 5w30 flavor while the latter are 0w30.

I don't believe any HDEO in the U.S. meets that spec, including the Delo you mentioned.

If you're talking about the OM651 engine, the spec was 229.51 but they later upgraded it 229.52. The former were mostly 5w30 flavor while the latter are 0w30.

I don't believe any HDEO in the U.S. meets that spec, including the Delo you mentioned.
The 229.51 and 229.52 approval lists included, and still include, 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W40, and 5W-40.
Official MB Approval 229.52

andreigbs is correct that no US HDEO makes the 229.51/52 list. Nor the 229.31list.
A few are on the 228.51 and most on the 228.31 lists. ASH is too high for 229 lists.

Is the IsoClean version available in small jugs or buckets, or only in bulk from a local distributor?
Consumer package size (5 gallon pails and smaller) is the ISO Clean product.
Delo 5w40 in 5.3L 1500 GMC, 2018 Chev 6.6 L5P, 2011 GMC 6.6L LML and 2014 Ford2L turbo Escape.
In summer, 15w40 in everything. Duron this time.

You won't have any trouble with Chevron oil. They're an underrated company. Their subsidiary Oronite make and formulate additive packages, if anyone can make a good lubricant, it's them. Over here it's branded as Texaco but from a branding perspective, I much prefer the red, white and blue of the Chevron brand.

I have finally come to an oil that I will be running long term ( close to 2 years now)

Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro. I went with an Ester based oil because of high boost/heat of my turbo. My turbo has been known to be glowing red from time to time. Plus, Hyundai's have been known to scuff piston skirts a bit, I have the Ester of Redline polarity and it's affection to metals to help on the piston skirts. Especially on cold startups. I average 2.5 oil changes a year so $175 on a tuner car is worth the money on keeping a happy turbo and shortblock. A Mid-SAPS, low NOACK 6 and very low Ash oil. Perfect match for my use case.

Back