Is anybody still boycotting Citgo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
...And even "boycotting" Citgo isn't boycotting Citgo...

Exactly. Plus, even if you buy under the Citgo sign the chances of that product having been refined from oil pumped in Venezuela are pretty slim.

What? People boycut a gas company because the leader of the country who sell them there oil talked bad about bush? That is verry verry funny.

Osama was from saudiarabia. Apparently the us has no problems buying there oil.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Originally Posted By: Andy636
-In communism you get screwed by the system
-In capitalism you get screwed by the people with $$$

At least with capitalism you get a pretty good chance to be the one doing the screwing.

Right. This is even more laughable.

The Saudi's get $40ish/barrel and our own people who middleman it here run it up the other $80. That is wrong. Their reason is supply and demand, i call it price gowging. It i was the government i would tax that profit 125% and when they start paying more then they may reduce the price of fuels and lubes back down to where ir was not to long ago.

Ken

I was looking in a old logbook of a former truck of mine. Fuel topoff @ 1.37/gal

Originally Posted By: JR

I was looking in a old logbook of a former truck of mine. Fuel topoff @ 1.37/gal

And your income is still the same as it was when fuel was that price?

My father still refuses to buy gas there. Given the choice, I'd rather not, but sometimes I'm just low on gas or they have the best price.

Interesting how people over here hate communism with a passion, but let me ask you this: how many of you have ever lived under communism ?

Let me tell you what the difference is between communism and capitalism from my perspective - a man who lived in both

Communism is a classless, moneyless and stateless cooperative social order where the means of production are owned commonly. Where exactly did you live where this happened? Perhaps you lived under a totalitarian regime where the government held absolute power over the people? There is no way a system like that could ever do anything but destroy the people who suffer under it.

The Fox News crowd refers, erroneously, to a lot of things as "communist" without actually knowing what it means. Demonizing a social order where the power lies directly and immediately in the hands of the people (the COMMUNity that forms the word COMMUNism) - as opposed to owners - is the best way of maintaining the social order that exists for the owners, no?

Has anyone here ever actually read Marx? If so, then here is the argument you could use to indict communism:

In capitalism, you are used as a commodity by those who own.
In communism, you are beholden to (but an equal part of!) the collective, whose will may run counter to your own.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I still boycott Citgo, even though Chavez is gone.
The money still goes to supporting the Communist regime in Venezuela where they are restricting freedom of speech and have confiscated private property.

Every oil company has blood on its hands when extracting oil out of non developed nations. It is just a sad and dirty part of the business.

But doesn't mean one needs to support the worst of the worst.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Will you boycott companies that are in the nation with by far the highest incarceration rate in the world, that spies on it's own citizens without warrants? How is Venezuela "the worst" by nationalizing an industry?

Interesting how people over here hate communism with a passion, but let me ask you this: how many of you have ever lived under communism ?

Let me tell you what the difference is between communism and capitalism from my perspective - a man who lived in both

My father in law did...in his opinion, anyone in favor of communism is ignorant, insane, or evil.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

In communism, you are beholden to (but an equal part of!) the collective, whose will may run counter to your own.

China is communist, does anyone think the people as a whole have any collective say? There is a ruling class controlling the military. The people have no collective say, they are minions.

I don't buy at Citgo.
Anything that can create negative pressure or a disincentive for stations to associate with Venezuela is good with me. I realize that just puts that gas on the open market, but that has to be at a lower profit than the captive stations.

A government that actively opposes us should not be supported by us.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: jcwit

Will you boycott companies that are in the nation with by far the highest incarceration rate in the world, that spies on it's own citizens without warrants? How is Venezuela "the worst" by nationalizing an industry?

Being as I disagree with you, I guess I'll continue supporting the U.S.A. as much as possible regarding price.

Originally Posted By: svhanc
I don't buy at Citgo.
Anything that can create negative pressure or a disincentive for stations to associate with Venezuela is good with me. I realize that just puts that gas on the open market, but that has to be at a lower profit than the captive stations.

A government that actively opposes us should not be supported by us.

YUP!

But you're supporting Citgo whether you know it or not, and boycotting the station that says Citgo on it doesn't mean you're even avoiding buying a Venezuelan product. Any petroleum you buy from anywhere could be Citgo product. Next week they could kick off a huge PR campaign to fool people into thinking Citgo was now an American company by a different name, and people would go back. I still maintain that a boycott accomplishes absolutely nothing but hurting the local station owners.

What I don't get is all those who won't buy from Venezuelan-crude based Stations, yet have no issues supporting Middle Eastern crude-based companies without a blink of an eye. Last I checked, we (Americans) are not too popular with their culture, ideals, governments, and most apparent, their religion. I'd feel safer in Venezuela right now than I would in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back