Is an inverter air conditioner more efficient than a window air conditioner?

I already have the window ac thing is there is no hole in the wall so i have it in the door way with the open and a thick plastic covering the doorway to keep the cool air in, a more convenient and non intrusive way to cool the room would be to have a mini split as there are no windows in this room and making a window would make noisd enter easier which is what i would like to avoid.

I already have the window ac thing is there is no hole in the wall so i have it in the door way with the open and a thick plastic covering the doorway to keep the cool air in, a more convenient and non intrusive way to cool the room would be to have a mini split as there are no windows in this room and making a window would make noisd enter easier which is what i would like to avoid.
You what?

Seriously the way you "install" it with plastic cover and open door, is going to be very inefficient no matter what you run. You can cut your wall to be just right for a window AC and it won't be any noisier than "have it in the door way with the open and a thick plastic covering the doorway".

Or if anything mount it on the door, keep the door close, and swing the AC along with the door. Just to keep things quiet you probably should run a mini-split and call it a day.

actually the window ac is not that bad in effciency as google says that eer 11 is equal to seer 13. seer 13 is the federal minimum seer for mini split.

the lg 12000 btu inverter mini split 16 seer is $530
there is a tempblue, which is from carrier, 12000 btu 110v minisplit with seer 13 for $250, dont know if it is inverter, going to ask about that to seller.

the air conditioning size calculator said 5000 btu for 100 sq ft room and this room is smaller around 74 sq ft.

tempblue catalog http://www.cebrands.com/pdf/products_pdf/TEMPBLUE_FLYER_PX20SEER_20180912.pdf
has 9k split inverters that go down to 2900 btu around 100 watts consumption which would be better than the 460 watt consumption of the currently installed window ac.

installation of mini split can run from $50 to $100

popular ac brands here are: LG, samsung, midea, tempblue, comfortstar.

Last edited:
Wow you have some awesome prices there compare to what we have in the US.

In your case I would just do a mini split install properly.

My bad, the tempblue 12k btu $251 is not inverter
There is comfortstar cpe12ca inverter 12k mini split $460 including installation.

Another question, do you own this building or are you renting the room? If you are renting the owner might not appreciate drilling holes in the outer wall.

This whole thread is vague.

The condensor would go on the roof.

I am allowed to drill holes on wall.

What air is turned upside down?

I have a newish large 25,000 BTU through the wall window style AC to supplement the central ac in one room. It is foam insulated all around the edges and built into the wall and in the winter cold air pours in from the center of unit (yes, the ventilation door is closed). I have a thick insulated hard plastic cover that is air tight and literally screws down and covers it from the inside in the winter - otherwise it would leak like a sieve. This is a well-maintained and only 5 year old Frigidaire with tons of styrofoam insulation visible on the inside and it still leaks like crazy. When I get around to it I’m going to seal the hole in the wall and put a mini-split there.

installation of mini split can run from $50 to $100

popular ac brands here are: LG, samsung, midea, tempblue, comfortstar.

I've done a bunch of minis never once was install remotely 50-100.

Pretty common for install to run well over a thousand depending on electrical and code requirements for the compressor. ie. concrete pad for it or roof mount?

Then getting power to the unit.

I've done a bunch of minis never once was install remotely 50-100.

Pretty common for install to run well over a thousand depending on electrical and code requirements for the compressor. ie. concrete pad for it or roof mount?

Then getting power to the unit.

I think the OP is in Nicaragua. Still, that price does seem very cheap.

Yea there is also a used inverter lg 12 k btu mini split model vm122c6a for $ 330 and there is a guy who does install for $40. The thing it is not ahri certified.

Ahri wensite : https://www.ahridirectory.org/Search/SearchHome?ReturnUrl=/

I looked for it online at there website and the comfortstar cpe12ca is ahri certified.

On the roof mostly it is placed on a metal structure and left there on roof with bolts ot just the weight of condensor.

Last edited:
With all the dogs in my neighborhood, quiet operation is not a good thing. I need constant noise to mask the intermittent noise.

Rod

I think the OP is in Nicaragua. Still, that price does seem very cheap.
It may not be a hard job if you don't need to mount them and run 30A wires. Often in asia they already have a concrete sill / "balcony" setup for mini split and mounting location, and all you need to do is to drill a hole (some may already have it too) and plug it. 220V FTW.

Also with many mini split in Asia you do not need a certified tech with natural gas license, or even electrician as they are just plug in lower current smaller btu system, not the 5 tons central AC with natural gas monster in the attic license we have in the US.

Inverter mini splits are the best. You can get as low as 6k btu units. 9k BTU mini splits typically can be had with the highest efficiency. The inverter units will run at lower speeds as needed. Installing a mini split is a big project but the results are excellent.

This whole topic is silly. You are trying to cool a tiny room and already have a window A/C. Nothing makes sense besides continuing to use it and replace with same when it dies. $150 DIY, $100 on sale.

Inverter split unit for 72sq ft is absurd unless you're a millionaire living off the grid in a tiny home and can do your own HVAC repairs.

The installation of minisplit ac is around $40-75.

It would make sense to install mini split inverter ac if the energy savings is pretty good

Back