U Shaped window AC

I am contemplating ordering a U Shaped window AC unit as they supposedly extremely quiet and 35% more energy efficient because the compressor has an inverter. Also you can open window still.

Any one have experience?

Yes, Midea brand I think. Works well however I'm unable to keep the window screen down on days when an air conditioner isn't needed. Its quiet though.The noisy parts are on the outside, separated by a closed window.

I’ve also contemplated one for my basement garage. Everything I’ve read is positive. Does anyone know if they make one that heats as well?

What about a portable AC unit? For the last several years, I've been running a Whynter unit in my master bedroom and I love it. I have 4 windows in the room: 3 on the North wall, one on the East wall that I use as a vent for the AC unit. When the temp's get too high, I close the North windows and run the AC. Below 68 degrees ambient, I open the 3 North facing windows and enjoy the breeze.

What about a portable AC unit? For the last several years, I've been running a Whynter unit in my master bedroom and I love it. I have 4 windows in the room: 3 on the North wall, one on the East wall that I use as a vent for the AC unit. When the temp's get too high, I close the North windows and run the AC. Below 68 degrees ambient, I open the 3 North facing windows and enjoy the breeze.

I have a portable AC in my basement garage but the problem is it exhausts the warm air without a dedicated intake so it ends up sucking warm, humid air past the window seal to make-up for what leaves. I think one of these u-shaped window units would work much better.

I have a portable AC in my basement garage but the problem is it exhausts the warm air without a dedicated intake so it ends up sucking warm, humid air past the window seal to make-up for what leaves. I think one of these u-shaped window units would work much better.

Fair enough, that is the one downfall of the portable units. They exhaust air out a hose, but they intake air from the room they're located in causing them to re-cool the same air over and over. They're definitely less efficient than a good window unit.

That being said, the only reason I continue to use my portable unit is because I got it for free. Years ago I went out back of work for a smoke and found my unit in the trash behind a rental house. At first, I thought it was nothing more than a dehumidifier... that is, until I Googled the model #....

Even today, portable AC units sell for $5-600 on the low end, so I consider myself very lucky!

Fair enough, that is the one downfall of the portable units. They exhaust air out a hose, but they intake air from the room they're located in causing them to re-cool the same air over and over. They're definitely less efficient than a good window unit.

That being said, the only reason I continue to use my portable unit is because I got it for free. Years ago I went out back of work for a smoke and found my unit in the trash behind a rental house. At first, I thought it was nothing more than a dehumidifier... that is, until I Googled the model #....

Even today, portable AC units sell for $5-600 on the low end, so I consider myself very lucky!
The better ones use a 2 hose system, intake and exhaust.

Thanks for suggestion.

Noise…..The compressor inside your home no matter who much sound deadening….I have one and need to replace and don’t enjoy the noise it emits while I work….also bothers my wife who has hearing issues.

I am contemplating ordering a U Shaped window AC unit as they supposedly extremely quiet and 35% more energy efficient because the compressor has an inverter. Also you can open window still.

Any one have experience?

When I had air conditioner units installed I went with inverter technology. It save money along with being quieter. The units I have are splits where the compressor is outside but all the tubing and electrical are run thru a hole that is drilled in the wall. It’s the same principle that these U or saddle units use.

I highly recommend inverters on any appliances they are available on which is most of them them now.

I am having good luck with unit!

Not as quite a mini split by any margin however for price it works ! Install is harder than a window unit.

Portable units are grossly inefficient. Unless you find one whose intake is from the outside. If there is only an exhaust hose, then its intake is air that has already been conditioned.

What is amazing is we had 2 small ones the year our central AC broke. Not only was the house not comfortable, just 2 units consumed more energy than a 3 ton system which makes our small house very comfortable.

Back