Is 2 Year Old New Motor Oil Still Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend I changed the oil in a 5.7 liter Hemi V8 with MDS and after putting in the required 7 quarts, I noticed the date stamp on the 5 quart jug of Pennzoil 5W-20 Platinum Synthetic I used (I used 1 five quart jug and 2 - 1 quart bottles) had a manufacture date of 18 months ago. This 5 quart jug was new and sealed and I just purchased it last week from the local car parts store. Is this oil still good? Also I need to change oil in an old Chevrolet small block V8 and I have a brand new 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX which I purchased two years ago and has a date stamp that appears to be a little over 2 years old - ( production code is "K200463 19:50 NH N00139"). Is this oil still good to use? It's been stored in a basement and it's sealed. Also in the past I accidently added 1 quart bottle of Mobil Fully Synthetic Oil to a vehicle, this bottle was sealed and in my garage. The vehicle ran fine and the oil was clear and appeared fine when I added it. The vehicle was run about 20 miles after the 1 quart of oil was added when I noticed the oil was 11 years old from the production stamp on the bottle when I threw out the bottle. I immediately changed the oil to new motor oil. How long can oil sit sealed in a container before it goes bad? Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

@Hemicon - every now and then I love some mild humor. Few lubricant manufacturers tell it like it is. Pennzoil claims that their oil had a four year old shelf life. Valvoline and Red Line don't have a shelf life, in their oppinion their products can be stored indefinitively. AMSOIL claims it's five years IIRC. If you made it this far reading this post, then you probably reached the same conclussion I did: putting a shelf life on motor oil is motivated only by making more sales and nothing else. You have nothing to worry about. Use it with confidence and don't think twice about it.

A few previous threads on this popular topic, there are many more:

1) Welcome to the site!
2) kschachn has done the research for you; plenty of threads with this topic already.
3) please use the "search" feature in the future for simple questions such as these, as most topics you may be curious about have already been covered ad nauseam.

That said, we're done here. Nothing to add that hasn't been said many multiples of times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back