Oil Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does engine oil have a "shelf life"? Does it degrade over time?

How about engine oil that's 2 years old (fully synthetic) from the date of manufacture? OK to use?

Thanks.

Your good 2 years for a sealed bottle really isn't nothing. 5 years starts to push it but 2 is perfectly fine. Wouldn't hurt to give if a shake before you use it tho.

After reading an article B_S published about VOA's of old oil, 20+ years in sealed cans and bottles. I'd say you could easily store it in your basement for 20+ years. Just shake it and pour. The biggest problem is there will be better more modern oil you'll be missing out on.

Insomniac,
you are in Malaysia...that's a good start, and if it's sealed, that's perfect.

Give it a decent shake, and good to go.

mjoeking is pretty close to right...warm and sealed, out of the sun, and near forever would be fine.

If the oil was in a shed exposed to -25 to -30C, there's a chance that it could form gel like structures...need to be reheated to near boiling to break them.

as per demarpaint...Blackstone took some ancient oils (20W20 dino) put one in a paint shaker and the other just opened and sampled, and no measurable difference.

They claim you can smell bad oil. It will get a vinegar smell to it. I smelled this once on some old two stroke oil. I used oil over 10 years old with no problems.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Your good 2 years for a sealed bottle really isn't nothing. 5 years starts to push it but 2 is perfectly fine. Wouldn't hurt to give if a shake before you use it tho.

+1 Force of habit but I shake all my oil before I pour it anyways. You figure it's been on your shelf for 2 years but how long was it on a store shelf before that.

When my grandfather passed away about 5 years ago my father and I found many cases of oil in his garage. Many so old the oil was in cans the brands were Mobil,QS,ARCO,and my all time favorite OILZUM. All 10w30 and 10w40 so I asked my dad where do you want me to take it for disposal? He said What!! I plan to use all of it! Anyway he ran it in his Jeep Liberty V6 from mile 12,000 all the way to 175,000 when he ran out of gramps old 20+ year old oil so I guess it was fine.

I've just finished a 5L jug of 20w50 Dino that was opened since 2009 , i used it for topping off my oil and i gave it a good shake before pouring it in and it was ok, i actualy found it in a parking lot and figured, meh i might aswell take it home and forgot about it unti i found it last December.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I've just finished a 5L jug of 20w50 Dino that was opened since 2009 , i used it for topping off my oil and i gave it a good shake before pouring it in and it was ok, i actualy found it in a parking lot and figured, meh i might aswell take it home and forgot about it unti i found it last December.

I hope it was at least a sealed bottle when you found it? IF not who knows what was actually in it, but seems your no worse for wear by using it.

I have just finished with my 2010 bottles of PP 5w-20, but do have a 2009 5 qt jug of 5w-30 PP and a bunch of 2011 qt bottles of 5w-20 PP in my stash. The 5w-30 is going to be the top up oil for my truck.

I personally am not worried about when the oil was bottled. So long as it is stored properly (dark, temperature controlled (ie no freezing or 100+ temps for long periods) and unopened), I am fine with using it (so long as it does meet the spec of the engine it is going into).

Originally Posted By: insomniac

How about engine oil that's 2 years old (fully synthetic) from the date of manufacture? OK to use?

Thanks.

Depending on driving profile 2 years in the crankcase may not be all that much.

Originally Posted By: insomniac

Thanks.

I'm going to buy all the oil my car will need in it's entire life in one go (this summer), and use that for the next 15-20 years. Hope that answers your question.

Afaik, the only manufacturer that has answered this question is Pennzoil, which says motor oil shelf life, when properly stored, is 5 years. This may be conservative and is perhaps assumes people are not smart enough to agitate the bottle. Nevertheless, 5 years seems to be a good target life.

This has been discussed lots here and other threads may be helpful as well.

Thank you, folks, appreciate the input.

It was Mobil 1, and it was on 'sale', at USD40 (4 litre bottle). Yes...yes...we pay a bunch for engine oil. You folks in the US have it good, comparatively.
smile.gif
Regular prices for fully synthetic engine oil - like Mobil 1, Shell Helix, Castrol Edge...etc. - is anywhere between USD57 to USD65 for a 4 litre bottle!

Anyway, it's in the engine and all seems good.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Insomniac,
...Give it a decent shake, and good to go.

as per demarpaint...Blackstone took some ancient oils (20W20 dino) put one in a paint shaker and the other just opened and sampled, and no measurable difference.
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

+1 Force of habit but I shake all my oil before I pour it anyways. You figure it's been on your shelf for 2 years but how long was it on a store shelf before that.

No difference, so why shake?

All you're doing with shaking is bringing the dirt back into suspension.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30107/oil-sample-agitation

Jim_Settle_Time_Image3.png

Jim_Agitation_Method_Figure6.png

My force of habit is to let oil sit at least a month before using, minimize disturbing the bottles/jugs, pour slowly from the top w/o a steep angle, and I don't try to get every last ounce from a bottle or jug.

Link to Blackstone article: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/April-1-2012.php

You know, that's a perfect way to give a BITOGer a complex. Make him wonder about the dangers of having dirt in suspension in new oil after shaking it, or having some additives settle out from it sitting too long. Are you trying to start a riot, or shorten some lifespans?
wink.gif

Thanks Skid...it's a valid point. Very valid.

It's like gluing a piece of toast to a cat and dropping it...cats always land feet first, toast always lands butter side down...said cat gets to mere inches off the floor then spins around it's axis as the feet and butter compete for floorspace.

Former member Stinky Peterson showed that VOA particle counts were horrid for a lot of oils. Member Dr Dave showed that used filters are more effective than new.

So I'm changing my oil, then doing my filter some time afterwards.

Might now change it to give it a good shake 4 months before the OCI, and let it sit between times....or decant it into 5 separate bottles with depth no more then 4", and cut the time down to a month.

Oil's shelf life depends on the shelf... Out in the shed in freezing weather, not so good. Nice clean shelf in the garage in moderate climate, near forever. Out in the sun in the bottle something less than a year.

I buy in 4 or 5 qt containers, so they always sit for at least a month. Then I pour slowly off the top. Let them settle and IF there is anything in the bottle, it'll be at the bottom
smile.gif

Kinda makes you wonder.
Is that stuff in the bottom additive material, dye or dirt?
There's always some stuff left at the bottom of a jug, even one just factory filled a month ago.
This is the kind of thing we probably shouldn't even bring up in a place like this.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is that stuff in the bottom additive material, dye or dirt?...This is the kind of thing we probably shouldn't even bring up in a place like this.

Exactly. You're going to give some of us ulcers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back