Is 15W-50 M1 EP too thick to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Go for it. If you were Aussie, this wouldn't even be an issue. I bet the Accord V6 is spec'd for heavier oil down under...
I wish I could see what Honda spec's for non-North American markets. I wonder what they use in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I have used M1 15W-50 in every vehicle myself, my two daughters, and their husbands have had since 1990. Just as an example: Ford van called for 5W-20. Went 170,000 miles before traded. Chrysler called for 5W-20. went 190,000 before traded. Toyota pickup now has 301,000 and still in use. 1999 Cavalier now has 211,000 miles and used daily. No oil consumption, never a leak or seep, all got/get better than EPA estimates, never an engine problem, no hard starting, no engine noises. Many more with 140,000+ before traded.

I think Mobil 1 15W-50 is the premiere oil for warm climate use. My cold days are 8-12F, and vehicles start before you can release the key. My hot days are 90-95.

yeah,and those vehicles requiring 5W-20 probably didnt perform to their full potential either.

Well, they got better gas mileage with 15W-50 than EPA estimated they would get with 5W-20. They had extremely long lives and it was not anything to do with engines that they were traded. They drove in very heavy Manassas, Va, to DC traffic, around town traffic, Manassas to Southeastern KY 4-5 times a year, Manassas to Cherokee, NC 1-2 times a year. I doubt there were any 0-60 timed runs but when driving in heavy freeway traffic they had to go, and go now when punched.

I would say they absolutely performed to their maximum potential, and did that for an extended life span.

I would use it. Like others have said, it may make the Honda feel sluggish, but that does not mean ANYTHING in terms of protection. At operating temps, the difference between weights is miniscule compared to the various viscosities an oil goes through as it's being heated up from room temp to operating temp. Engines are quite tolerant to this, as anyone of my fellow Canadians can attest to when our cars have to start at -40 with oil that's probably way to thick but still run just fine.

I would go for it. I wonder how many of the posters that said it will cause more startup wear and sluggishness have actually used that weight in a Honda...

I couldn't tell a difference between the 5w-20 and the straight 30wt in my glorified Honda. I doubt there is a lot of difference between my 30wt and your 15w-50 on a 75 degree startup.

Think of it this way, the 15w-50 is still thinner than a 5w-20 is in a cold climate. I don't see those in Canada having issues with startup wear and sluggishness with a 5w-20, so why should you with the 15w-50 in Texas?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I have used M1 15W-50 in every vehicle myself, my two daughters, and their husbands have had since 1990. Just as an example: Ford van called for 5W-20. Went 170,000 miles before traded. Chrysler called for 5W-20. went 190,000 before traded. Toyota pickup now has 301,000 and still in use. 1999 Cavalier now has 211,000 miles and used daily. No oil consumption, never a leak or seep, all got/get better than EPA estimates, never an engine problem, no hard starting, no engine noises. Many more with 140,000+ before traded.

I think Mobil 1 15W-50 is the premiere oil for warm climate use. My cold days are 8-12F, and vehicles start before you can release the key. My hot days are 90-95.

yeah,and those vehicles requiring 5W-20 probably didnt perform to their full potential either.

Well, they got better gas mileage with 15W-50 than EPA estimated they would get with 5W-20. They had extremely long lives and it was not anything to do with engines that they were traded. They drove in very heavy Manassas, Va, to DC traffic, around town traffic, Manassas to Southeastern KY 4-5 times a year, Manassas to Cherokee, NC 1-2 times a year. I doubt there were any 0-60 timed runs but when driving in heavy freeway traffic they had to go, and go now when punched.

I would say they absolutely performed to their maximum potential, and did that for an extended life span.

You can explain your real life experience over and over and some people will never understand. Only theory counts I guess.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I would go for it. I wonder how many of the posters that said it will cause more startup wear and sluggishness have actually used that weight in a Honda...

I couldn't tell a difference between the 5w-20 and the straight 30wt in my glorified Honda. I doubt there is a lot of difference between my 30wt and your 15w-50 on a 75 degree startup.

Think of it this way, the 15w-50 is still thinner than a 5w-20 is in a cold climate. I don't see those in Canada having issues with startup wear and sluggishness with a 5w-20, so why should you with the 15w-50 in Texas?
My only concern is whether a 50 weight would be too thick to properly lubricate the bearings. Doing some googling on the web, one finds talk about tight clearances, but I'm not sure if this is just claptrap.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

My only concern is whether a 50 weight would be too thick to properly lubricate the bearings. Doing some googling on the web, one finds talk about tight clearances, but I'm not sure if this is just claptrap.

I understand that concern. I was worried about a straight 30 even though I knew it would cause no problems.

Again, I refer to the 5w-20 in a Canadian climate.

Im pretty sure in some countries that a 40wt is called for in hondas. I would use it with no hesitation. It is not like your in subzero degree weather. I used it in an older Mercedes diesel and it did great. I know thats apples to oranges but still.

Use it. You`ll have no problems whatsoever. M1`s 15W50 is thinner than most people think. Grab a bottle of it and shake it around then do that with a 20W50. Big difference.

There's a guy here whose friend has used M1 15W-50 in his 2.2L OHV Chevy Caviler/Pontiac Sunbird since day one with no problems and the car has over 100,000 miles on it I think. I certainly wouldn't use it year round, but I seriously doubt there will be any problem using it during a Texas Summer in a vehicle that is out of warranty.

Go ahead and try it. Will it kill your motor.....No.

Run a UOA when you are done so we can see it compared to thinner oils.

I think many people want to run too thin of oils.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

A 50wt is not too thick to lube the bearings. It is defintely claptrap.

By T. G. Schaefer

In the simplest terms, esters can be defined as the reaction products of acids and alcohols. Thousands of different kinds of esters are commercially produced for a broad range of applications. Within the realm of synthetic lubrication, a relatively small but still substantial family of esters have been found to be very useful in severe environment applications. This paper shall provide a general overview of the more common esters used in synthetic lubricants and discuss their important benefits and utilities.

Esters have been used successfully in lubrication for more than 60 years and are the preferred stock in many severe applications where their benefits solve problems or bring value. For example, esters have been used exclusively in jet engine lubricants worldwide for over 50 years due to their unique combination of low temperature flowability with clean high temperature operation. Esters are also the preferred stock in the new synthetic refrigeration lubricants used with CFC replacement refrigerants. Here the combination of branching and polarity make the esters miscible with the HFC refrigerants and improves both low and high temperature performance characteristics. In automotive applications, the first qualified synthetic crankcase motor oils were based entirely on ester formulations and these products were quite successful when properly formulated. Esters have given way to PAOs in this application due to PAOs lower cost and their formulating similarities to mineral oil. Nevertheless, esters are often used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity. The percentage of ester used can vary anywhere from 5 to 25% depending upon the desired properties and the type of ester employed.

The new frontier for esters is the industrial marketplace where the number of products, applications, and operating conditions is enormous. In many cases, the very same equipment which operates satisfactorily on mineral oil in one plant could benefit greatly from the use of an ester lubricant in another plant where the equipment is operated under more severe conditions. This is a marketplace where old problems or new challenges can arise at any time or any location. The high performance properties and custom design versatility of esters is ideally suited to solve these problems. Ester lubricants have already captured certain niches in the industrial market such as reciprocating air compressors and high temperature industrial oven chain lubricants. When one focuses on temperature extremes and their telltale signs such as smoking and deposits, the potential applications for the problem solving ester lubricants are virtually endless.

A friend has been using 15w50 in his 1999 Honda Civic EX and the car has over 240,000 miles and runs great. Just the other day we took his car up to Vermont for a skydiving trip and the car was smooth as silk with great gas mileage. He says he still uses 15w50!! I can't convince him otherwise. His motto, Don't fix what ain't broken.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I got 12 quarts. going to thin it with some 5w20 and run it in my subaru !

That would probably make a nice summer blend.

AD

Or all season :) It's the daily beater 2.2L legacy :) Maybe it will swell up the cam seals and make them stop leaking. Although thanks to Gary's Advice, I think I got the PCV oil consumption issue solved.

Originally Posted By: deven
A friend has been using 15w50 in his 1999 Honda Civic EX and the car has over 240,000 miles and runs great.
Is that the only oil that's ever been it it, or did he switch to 15W-50 at some point?
M1 15W-50 runs lower on the OP gauge at highway speed/full temperature in my Volks engine than the Mystik JT8
15W-50 I had been using. To me, it seems thinner than some 50 wt.

if you are going to put 15w50 in those cars i wouldn't use more than a quart or two and 5w20 or 5w30 for the rest. but really i see no point in doing this, especially not in a honda.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: deven
A friend has been using 15w50 in his 1999 Honda Civic EX and the car has over 240,000 miles and runs great.
Is that the only oil that's ever been it it, or did he switch to 15W-50 at some point?
M1 15W-50 runs lower on the OP gauge at highway speed/full temperature in my Volks engine than the Mystik JT8
15W-50 I had been using. To me, it seems thinner than some 50 wt.

He bought the car new and according to him he's always used M1 15w50 after he draind the factory fill. He is one of those loyal Mobil 1 guys. He could care less what group this oil is and he laughs at me for "wasting" my money on UOA's. This coming from a guy who drains M1 at 3k miles. Hey its working for him and we are creatures of habit and habits are hard to change. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back