Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of my former co-workers had hundreds of thousands of bucks in their 401K on paper, and left it in Corning stock. Then the bottom fell out of the fiber optic market and it was not pretty.

Crap! Wish I loaded up on GLW (Corning) when it was $3.

Silly person. Working for a company is risk enough, owning stock in it above a few thousand dollars is just stupid. My matching is with stock, nice but it gets rolled out by me into my 401K brokerage account.....

I had moved all of what I was allowed to into some mutual funds. When I sold, Corning was at $182, and I was mad because the week before it was over $200.
They were making money like crazy on fiber from about 1986 until 2000.
Wish I had put more in.

Wish I would have is a gamblers thinking. Thats what it is anyway isn't it.Look at some of the rail stocks like BNI as a example of why the market has no boundrys. When transportation goes so does the market and it hasn't flinched yet. There are many big movers every day and there not hard to find so till that index falls the party is on the way i see it.

It seems the FED is doing it's best to kill the party.

There is only one word for the short lurching interest rate steps: padding and cycles.

OK Two words.

Don't fall for the latest inflation scare, however do not take inflation lightly. But the fed in new diaper form (we don't need no stinkin' diapers) wants to avoid taking baths with cigars, yet Greenspan remains more than a shadow. I see the press is already trying to blame you know who (he's appointed more fed gals/guys since RWR (may the gipper RIP)) - my point here is:

a) we need the padding dudes, in case of calamity, jane.

b) some guy you don't know the name of won a Nobel for this crap, but basically the economy is a wave form. Sometimes the wave generator gets whacked. Somehow starting after the Gipper got elected and the prime rate came down from the high teens, the sine generator was reset. But it is important to keep the rhythm.

So we can party when the interest rates come down. Or not.

wow...

quote:

You're receiving Utility & Income at [email protected] because
you subscribed to it. If you no longer wish to receive Utility
& Income, please visit http://www.kcifinance.com/preferences.php.

Please do not reply to this message. To contact us, please use
our contact form at http://www.kcifinance.biz/contact.php, or
cut and paste the address in your browser's address field.

FOCUS ON PRICE

There’s little doubt American investors are itching to put some
money in the market. Cash interest rates remain very low, despite
ticking up a bit in recent months. Meanwhile, inflation is creeping
up even in the US government’s published figures, putting pressure
on fixed incomes.

At the same time, many are almost desperate to believe that the now
six-year-old bear market in the broad stock market is over. Every
rally seems to be greeted in the financial media as proof positive
that things are finally turning around, no matter how short-lived or
what the reason for the buying is.

Unfortunately, it’s still a hard fact that we haven’t seen a new
high in this market since the March 2000 top. The Federal Reserve is
still raising interest rates, and isn’t likely to stop any time soon
with government inflation numbers rising and new Federal Reserve
Chairman Benjamin Bernanke needing to prove that his
inflation-fighting bona fides.

The 10-year Treasury note yield is slowly wending its way higher,
this week pushing above the 4.6 percent mark. In fact, that
benchmark rate is just a few minutes of trading from bursting
through the 4.7 percent mark it’s held below for several years. And
that’s in the context of obviously slowing conditions in the more
rate sensitive areas of the economy, such as mortgage lending.

I wonder if he agrees with me.....

In a situation like mine where I am young and have not purchased a house yet, I watch the real estate market with interest. How long can property values continue to rapidly escalate? I guess it's great if you are a home owner, but for someone like myself who doesnt own yet but would like to, it is frustrating. My salary has not nearly kept pace with housing price increases in the last few years. Most decent houses continue to soar out of my price range. Something is going to have to correct eventually.

Acuratech, see if you can buy an income producing property. That is, one that you don't have to live in but may rent out to pay the mortgage and carrying costs. You may have a negative cash flow in the beginning and you may have to be creative.

Property values may correct in certain runaway areas, but mostly the rate of increase will just slow, or stop. I can't see them turning south right away where I live, too much pent up demand.

My BIL lives in the San Jose, CA area. He hasn't got a nibble on his for sale house in 3 months. BUt he really has a dream price for a bad dream home. I think if he shaves the price of his 1700 sq ft, 45 year old, badly converted garage, home, on very busy street, down to $700,000 he might get a taker.

I took a quick look at their 4th qtr results.

They increased revenues yet showed a loss which did not happen in 4Q of '04.

A little further looking, they talked of making mistakes in not hedging their inventories to shield them from FX exposures. They blame themselves for this and say they will do better.

I wonder if they didn't just have a load of krap on their balance sheet which they decided to write off or if they had been showing stronger net earnings in prior quarters due to the non recognition of expenses which they may have deferred.

I didn't like the tone of the financial notes due to their vagueness.

I was trying to ignore their books and look at their soybean oil play....they seem to know the players to buy and the places to be. Seems like they are worth watching. PF may be adding them, they keeping mentioning it.

What did they sell in 2002 that their Op Ex went down so much? Only the Income went up?

Pablo, I see rising expenses, FX exposures and a sale of receivables.

I didn't see real growth in volumes of goods sold, the $ are hard to determine as they deal in currencies, the volumes are measured in pounds so that's apples to apples.

I think I might like ADM as a play over this as they're in the same space. This company has it's headquarters in my neighborhood, maybe I can find out more.

A lot of exposure in S. America. That may be good, or it may be bad
dunno.gif

I wish I could say buy it, but my homework, and I hate homework, isn't convincing.

I agree, I'm not sure with what, but I agree.

They bought the largest oil processor in India.

I'll just add them to my watch list. If I don't buy, the shares will go up.....now that's science.

"I'll just add them to my watch list. If I don't buy, the shares will go up.....now that's science. "
-------------------------------------------------------

That's just a fact, no explanation, just fact.

I was just reading a Bloomberg story on Tsybari. It was very confusing and less than promising for MS patients. Most feel that it's the closest thing to cure, but they also feel that the FDA will not allow it's return due to a 1 in 1000 risk of greater damage to the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back