Interesting Theory on Oil Change Interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard an Interesting theory on oil change interval today. I guess its a variation on the TBN/TAN cross method.

He said he used the point where TBN reached 1/10 of Nitration. IE 2.5 TBN and 25 ab/cm Nitr in his particular truck.

Not recommending. Just thought it was interesting.

Whoa. Too hard for me to understand, when I see fractions I get scared.JK I wonder how in the world he came up with this as a viable and proven method to determine OCI? Not bashing, just would like to see where he got his reasoning.

The TAN/TBN crossing point doesn't even have that much use. I have seen oils beat to TBN's of 1 and wear is still looking good. Very difficult and broad determinations due to sooo many variables.

Thanks Gene!

Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Whoa. Too hard for me to understand, when I see fractions I get scared.JK I wonder how in the world he came up with this as a viable and proven method to determine OCI? Not bashing, just would like to see where he got his reasoning.

The TAN/TBN crossing point doesn't even have that much use. I have seen oils beat to TBN's of 1 and wear is still looking good. Very difficult and broad determinations due to sooo many variables.

Thanks Gene!

Matt

A guess his theory was Nitration is the build up of Nitric Acid in the oil and TBN is the neutralizing agent so when one gets so low and the other so high. As to why he chose 1/10? I dont know. I know Polaris starts to flag as "elevated" at 20 and Detroit Limit is 30 for conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Whoa. Too hard for me to understand, when I see fractions I get scared.

23/32nds of adults have trouble with fractions.

Are you sure about that? I recently read, probably the same thing you did, and they said it was 53/64 of adults had trouble with fractions!

You think thats hard. Try the old English Money System.

A Guinea is 1 Pound, 1 Shilling. A Pound is 20 Shillings. A Shilling is 12 Pence.

That methodology might be great for concerns of acids and bases and such, but it speaks nothing to wear metals and soot. How is he to know if he has a bearing going bad? How does he know if the soot is becoming abrasive due to significant quanitification? What about silicon ingestion from poor air filtration?

Is the person's TBN/nitration method assuming that all other parameters are in check, or is it exclusive and ignores the other issues? That makes a HUGE difference in it's viability. Until we know that, we cannot make a fair judgement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K

A Guinea is 1 Pound, 1 Shilling. A Pound is 20 Shillings. A Shilling is 12 Pence.

Ya, that reminds me of the old Gallons, quarts and ounces system...
lol.gif

I'm in the camp that oil analysis is nearly irrelevant unless going to ultra extended OCI's.

Anyway, when you're dealing with the known variations and in parts per million, you need at least two on the same sample to be sure!

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Whoa. Too hard for me to understand, when I see fractions I get scared.

23/32nds of adults have trouble with fractions.

Are you sure about that? I recently read, probably the same thing you did, and they said it was 53/64 of adults had trouble with fractions!

No...no...it was 5 out of 2 adults are dyslexic...

But I do wonder at the thought behind 1/10...smells like a "SWAG" to me...that's a "Scientific Wild-A-- Guess"...

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Ok from an Englishman, it goes like this :

One Guinea is One Pound & one Shilling
There are 20 shillings to the pound or a nicker or a quid
There are 12 pence to a shilling or bob
There are 4 farthings to a penny
There are 2 halfpenny's pronounce hapenny's to a penny
There are 3 pence in a thrupenny bit
There are 6 pence in a tanner
There are two tanners in a shilling
Thus there are 20 shillings in a pound, nicker or quid and 21 shillings in a guinea
There are 2 shillings and 6 pence in half a crown or tosheroon
There are 5 shillings in a crown
There are 4 crowns in a pound, nicker or quid
There are 10 shillings in a 10 bob note
There are two 10 bob notes in a pound, nicker or quid
There is £500 in a Monkey
There is £50 in a Bullseye
There is £15 in a Wicker
There is £100 in a Century ( that ones easy)
There is £5 in a Lady Godiva
There is £10 in an Ayrton Senner or Mother Hen

I could go on, and on and on, but I'm getting bored and you are as well, me thinks.

Last edited:
...so when Liza Dolittle told 'enry 'iggins she could change half a crown, that meant she had 30 shillings?

Last edited:
No, half a crown is 2 shillings & 6 pence, written 2/6d. There are 8 half crowns in a pound.

30 Shillings is 30 bob, or 1 pound and 10 shillings, written £1/10/0d

...so when Liza Dolittle told 'enry 'iggins she could change half a crown, that meant she had 30 shillings?

No - 30 pence (pennies).
2/6d = two shillings and six pence.
1 shilling = 12 pence.
2 shillings = 24 pence.
2/6d = 2x12+6 = 30 pence.
Liza Doolitle had change for a "half a crown" or 2/6d which is equal to 30 pence.

Elementary my dear Watson !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back