Diesel fuel filter replacement interval

I go by hours. Every 500hrs on my 6.7 cummins. Book calls for 15k mile filter changes. It's always had a dark greyish blue color to it when I pull it out. Never noticed a difference. 11,000 hrs and 223k miles

Every 15,000mi for the engine side fuel filter. Davco fuel/water separator is based on restriction. As the media loads up, the fuel level in the bowl rises then it's time to replace when the level reaches the black/red band.
88e4422e-82ae-4b22-88bd-85548f0f0766-jpeg.80431

Every 500hrs. Same as air filter. Makes no sense to go off miles. I might have 10hrs of run time in 50 miles or an hour.

No idea what the manufacturer's say, for me it's easiest to remember 250hr oil changes and fuel, air, hydraulic, etc filters every other oil change.

Every 15,000mi for the engine side fuel filter. Davco fuel/water separator is based on restriction. As the media loads up, the fuel level in the bowl rises then it's time to replace when the level reaches the black/red band.
88e4422e-82ae-4b22-88bd-85548f0f0766-jpeg.80431
Do you have to check it when running? I don't see any fuel in the bowl

Do you have to check it when running? I don't see any fuel in the bowl

Half of the filter sits in the housing so it will take more than 50% restriction for the level to rise to the bowl.
Davco units doesn't use the whole filter media at once. The level rises as contaminants collect from the bottom up.

Also note that there is no lift pump in this application.

Half of the filter sits in the housing so it will take more than 50% restriction for the level to rise to the bowl.
Davco units doesn't use the whole filter media at once. The level rises as contaminants collect from the bottom up.

Also note that there is no lift pump in this application.
I see this happens to my cartridge oil filter media as well. When I dried it out it was darker on the bottom half of the filter. That's neat!

Interesting! Do you notice a difference in fuel quality between stations? Is algea a problem for some of you?

Interesting! Do you notice a difference in fuel quality between stations? Is algea a problem for some of you?
My 6.7 cummins has always had a bit of an occassional shake to it at idle. Hard to say if it's a fuel issue or what, but I have noticed it can run smoother or rougher from tank to tank. Sometimes it runs so smooth you cant even tell its running. Never did test the fuel, but it's a well known fact that our fuel has less lubricity and lower cetane, dirtier etc compared to say Europe.

It's no issue for me & we don't have "Top Tier" rated diesel fuel. We do have a range anywhere from 5% - 20% Bio-diesel in the USA. I mostly use closer to 5% bio-diesel & vary where I get fuel so it's not just one single source. This is my two fuel filters that I ran for 25249 Kilometers. They came out looking great compared to some I've seen posted here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...roke-fd-4616-fuel-filter-15-689-miles.368073/

I don't notice a huge difference in stations because I use Mudflap or my Open Road's RV card to get fuel. Those 2 organizations have partnered with truck stops that tend to move lots of fuel. I can't tell you the last time I got fuel at a "regular" station.

I use a mix of B5 and B5-B20 as the pumps are labeled here in the Midwest. I do not have issues with Algae and have only used a tank cleaner once when I first started using B5-B20.

FWIW, I notice my truck runs / idles smoother on B5-B20 and doesn't "diesel" as much. The down side to B5-B20 is my mileage is significantly reduced over B5 and unlike ethanol enhanced gasoline there is no price break. I look for B5 whenever I can, but it is getting harder to find here.

Just my $0.02

Back