Interesting observation using Castrol Edge Full Syn 0W-16

It says "peak shear rates can be as high has as". Exactly what kind of engine(s) at what max RPM are they talking about? Quote from the article:

"It is found that shear rates in journal bearings are typically in the range of 10^5 to 5 × 10^6 s−1, whilst peak shear rates for the piston rings can be as high as 2 × 10^7 s−1, and for the valve train, peak shear rates can reach 2 × 10^8 s−1."

Do a calculation on a 2" dia big end rod bearing turning at 6,000 RPM (V8 at high RPM) with a MOFT of say 30 microns and see what the shear rate is.
In that example I calculated the shear rate as shown below:

S = Velocity between the parts divided by the distance between the parts (the oil film thickness).
S = 628.32 in/sec divided by 0.0011811 in = 531,979/sec (0.53 x 10^6/sec).
S = About half of the 150C HTHS rate of 1M/sec ... which correlates with the numbers quoted in the article.

If someone is normally cruising around at 2000 - 3000 RPM, then the shear rate in the journal bearings is going to be 2 to 3 times less than 0.5 x 10^6/sec. And likewise, the shear rate going on every place else in the engine will be 2 to 3 times less than what it would be at 6,000 RPM.

If the MOFT was only 15 microns, then the shear rate would be real close to 1M/sec.
I'd like to see the engine that can reach 2 x 10^8/sec in the valve train (and at what RPM), when the cam(s) rotate at half the speed of the crankshaft RPM. Maybe it's because the MOFT is like 1-2 microns. I'll have to run the numbers to see.
It is the Stribeck curve. Journal bearings and lower piston rings in an engine are the only places that run in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime. Everything else runs in the mixed lubrication and/or boundary lubrication regimes, where the thickness of the oil film is minimal. It is all about geometry. You don't have the geometry that allows a thick oil film in most parts of the engine. That's why the shear rates everywhere else are up to 2,000 times higher than in the journal bearings.

It is the Stribeck curve. Journal bearings and lower piston rings in an engine are the only places that run in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime. Everything else runs in the mixed lubrication and/or boundary lubrication regimes, where the thickness of the oil film is minimal. It is all about geometry. You don't have the geometry that allows a thick oil film in most parts of the engine. That's why the shear rates everywhere else are up to 2,000 times higher than in the journal bearings.
The MOFT can't be thin enough to be 2,000 times the shear rate in a journal bearing. No place in the engine will the shear rate be 2,000 times more than it is in the journal bearings.

I ran the numbers for the estimated shear rate at the cam lobe when the engine is revving at 6,000 RPM. I used the cam dimensions for the Corvette LS6, which has the cam lobe tip at a diameter of 1.30 inch (0.65 inch radius) rotating at 3,000 RPM, when the engine crankshaft is rotating at 6,000 RPM. Cam base circle of 0.75 inch with a lift of 0.55 inch which gives the lobe tip at 0.65 inch radius.

Assumed that the MOFT is a measly 2 microns.

S = 204.2 in/sec divided by 0.00007874 in = 2,593,345/sec.
S = 2.6 x 10^6/sec. About 2.5 times the 150C HTHS rate of 1M/sec.

That's only 2.6 x 10^6/sec divided by 0.53 x 10^6/sec = 4.9 times the shear rate as the journal bearings at the same 6,000 engine RPM from the previous calculation in post #40. Looks like to me that the valve train isn't some crazy 1 x 10^8/sec shear rate to me.

The MOFT can't be thin enough to be 2,000 times the shear rate in a journal bearing. No place in the engine will the shear rate be 2,000 times more than it is in the journal bearings.

I ran the numbers for the estimated shear rate at the cam lobe when the engine is revving at 6,000 RPM. I used the cam dimensions for the Corvette LS6, which has the cam lobe tip at a diameter of 1.30 inch (0.65 inch radius) rotating at 3,000 RPM, when the engine crankshaft is rotating at 6,000 RPM. Cam base circle of 0.75 inch with a lift of 0.55 inch which gives the lobe tip at 0.65 inch radius.

Assumed that the MOFT is a measly 2 microns.

S = 204.2 in/sec divided by 0.00007874 in = 2,593,345/sec.
S = 2.6 x 10^6/sec. About 2.5 times the 150C HTHS rate of 1M/sec.

That's only 2.6 x 10^6/sec divided by 0.53 x 10^6/sec = 4.9 times the shear rate as the journal bearings at the same 6,000 engine RPM from the previous calculation in post #40. Looks like to me that the valve train isn't some crazy 1 x 10^8/sec shear rate to me.
What do you mean by assume? How do you get the MOFT by assumption? Valvetrain runs in the boundary lubrication regime, with metal-to-metal contact. The same is true for the upper piston rings, where you get metal-to-metal contact. By geometry, I don't mean how to calculate the relative speed—I mean how the sliding parts rub against each other. Two concentric cylinders won't be in the same area on the Stribeck curve as a pointed object pressing on a flat surface or some other pointed object. That's going to greatly increase the load on the oil film, which will squeeze it out.

Last edited:
What do you mean by assume? How do you get the MOFT by assumption? Valvetrain runs in the boundary lubrication regime, with metal-to-metal contact. The same is true for the upper piston rings, where you get metal-to-metal contact.
What do you think the MOFT is then between a cam lobe and flat lifter? We all know that wear mitigation on valve train components depends greatly on film strength due to AF/AW additives. So that basically means that it doesn't matter much what the oil viscosity is in the valve train if the MOFT is basically zero as you say. But I think there has to be some effective MOFT in the valve train because it can certainly be in the mixed lubrication regime (Stribeck curve) when the RPM is higher.

"Unlike the piston ring pack and bearings, the regime of lubrication in the camshaft, depending on its speed, is generally reckoned to be a mixture of boundary and mixed for much of the time."

Last edited:
I would consider "snarky" a negative sound. Just another observation. Both worth what any readers paid for them...nothing.
Best description I can think of is a pleasant but interesting tone derived from the combination of intake and exhaust sounds. You're free to rename it. Nonetheless is was how it sounds when going up a hill at 3/4 throttle. Wish we still had the emoji of the guy driving and shifting"

What do you think the MOFT is then between a cam lobe and flat lifter? We all know that wear mitigation on valve train components depends greatly on film strength due to AF/AW additives. So that basically means that it doesn't matter much what the oil viscosity is in the valve train if the MOFT is basically zero as you say. But I think there has to be some effective MOFT in the valve train because it can certainly be in the mixed lubrication regime (Stribeck curve) when the RPM is higher.
Valvetrain runs somewhere between the boundary and mixed lubrication regimes. I don't know how thick the oil film is, but using your speed values and the shear rates from the Shell paper, I get as little as 26 nanometer or 260 angstrom at peak shear rates. Therefore, you get surface asperities contacting each other. Oil is still essential to lubrication, even in this regime, in fact even more so, as you want the best help from the oil possible. You want the thickest base oil possible for the least valvetrain wear. There are studies that show that thicker base oil reduces the valvetrain wear.

Nissan study on wear in timing chains

Also, roller cam followers have less friction, wear and shearing compared to old fashioned flat tappet type valve trains. Look at Figure 17(a) and even with a roller follower the MOFT increases quite fast as the RPM increases - nowhere in the nanometer or angstrom regime . That figure only shows a high RPM of ~1500 RPM and looks to be a pretty linear increase with speed. Flat tappet lifters may run a much lower MOFT. There was a good reason why roller lifers were invented.

Last edited:
Valvetrain runs somewhere between the boundary and mixed lubrication regimes. I don't know how thick the oil film is, but using your speed values and the shear rates from the Shell paper, I get as little as 26 nanometer or 260 angstrom at peak shear rates. Therefore, you get surface asperities contacting each other. Oil is still essential to lubrication, even in this regime, in fact even more so, as you want the best help from the oil possible. You want the thickest base oil possible for the least valvetrain wear. There are studies that show that thicker base oil reduces the valvetrain wear.

Nissan study on wear in timing chains

And how much of the reduced cam-chain wear was due to the base oil viscosity vs the AF/AW additives (also a goal of API SP specification regardless of viscosity) they speak of? What was the max shear rate going on in the chain components?

Since a cam-chain doesn't really have much sliding action between the moving parts (basically the link pins and rollers if it's a roller chain) in the chain, and that motion is essentially caused by the chain changing direction on the sprockets, I can't imagine the shear rate to be super high even if the MOFT between parts is super small.

Also, roller cam followers have less friction, wear and shearing compared to old fashioned flat tappet type valve trains. Look at Figure 17(a) and even with a roller follower the MOFT increases quite fast as the RPM increases - nowhere in the nanometer regime . That figure only show a high RPM of ~1500 RPM and looks to be a pretty linear increase with speed. Flat tappet lifters may run a much lower MOFT. There was a good reason why roller lifers were invented.

Good reference. The oil film is still 20 times thinner at 3,000 rpm than the 2 microns you assumed, which puts the shear rate at around 5×10⁷ s⁻¹, well into the regime where the VII fully temporary-shears and you're left with the viscosity of the base oil and an additional viscosity contribution coming from the DDI pack.

I have noticed certain engines are quieter / louder depending on what oil is in the sump. I don't personally think noise has any relation to wear, it's more of an observation. I noticed no difference when switching from PP to M1 in my Accord, it is as quiet as ever. However, when I switched from Castrol Edge to Valvoline Synthetic in my moms Terrain 2.4 it quieted down. Also of note, Mobil 1 IMMEDIATELY made my parents Chevy 3.5 tick at idle after switching to it. That lasted the entire OCI. Went to Valvoline after and the tick was gone.

I'm a believer, but again sound has no relation to wear. Not significantly anyway.

Good reference. It's still 20 times thinner at 3,000 rpm than the 2 microns you assumed, which would put the shear rate at around 5×10⁷ s⁻¹, well into the regime where the VII fully shears and you're left with the viscosity of the base oil and an additional viscosity contribution coming from the DDI pack.
Could be ... but that's only around 10 times more shear ... not 2,000 times more like you mentioned in post #41. Plus, if you bring the engine RPM down to 2,000 to 3,000 like in normal street driving it cuts the shear rate down by 2 to 3 times. Plus, oil temps on the street running below 150C helps keep the viscosity under shear conditions higher than what the HTHS and HTFS would be at the defined 150C. I think the HTFS window on a normally driven street car is a very small and rare window to see in real life driving conditions, unless someone was in a high speed police chase going 120+ MPH for an hour, lol.

High RPM use is still going to find a low viscosity oil, even with a stout base oil, too thin in the HTFS department like you've mentioned above, and why in driving conditions like track use that gives high oil temps and high engine RPM the engine will definitely require a much thicker oil grade (as makers of high performance cars for track use recommend) to maintain an adequate HTFS viscosity. Obviously the valve train and other parts that run in boundary and mixed lubrication rely heavily on AF/AW additives and much less on MOFT. Of course any MOFT helps, even if it is less than a micron in those lubrication regimes.

Last edited:
There are many things today that are "measurable performance criteria for motor oil" that were not 20 years ago.

As others have noted, engine noise is certainly a measurable quantity. Whether or not engine noise correlates to something we care about (e.g. engine life) we probably don't know. But it's certainly not implausible. It definitely indicates that there is something different between two oils when one is noticeable quieter than the other.

In any case, for some a quieter engine might be a desirable outcome in and of itself.
I've always believed an increase in engine noise, oil related or not, to not be a good thing.

So I bolded you last sentence specifically to prove the point I'm trying to make.
It absolutely is your personal observation.
And that it the problem.
A personal observation, by definition, is skewed and influenced by your personal experiences.

If we were just doing things based on feelings, I'd tell you a different brand is much quieter and you'd disagree. So then it devolves into a pi**ing match.
And that's how junk threads are perpetuated.
How many people here were believers in Castrol Magnatech original formula being quieter, smoother etc? I was not one of them but they couldn't have all been wrong.

Could be ... but that's only around 10 times more shear ... not 2,000 times more like you mentioned in post #41. Plus, if you bring the engine RPM down to 2,000 to 3,000 like in normal street driving it cuts the shear rate down by 2 to 3 times. Plus, oil temps on the street running below 150C helps keep the viscosity under shear conditions higher than what the HTHS and HTFS would be at the defined 150C. I think the HTFS window on a normally driven street car is a very small and rare window to see in real life driving conditions, unless someone was in a high speed police chase going 120+ MPH for an hour, lol.

High RPM use is still going to find a low viscosity oil, even with a stout base oil, too thin in the HTFS department like you've mentioned above, and why in driving conditions like track use that gives high oil temps and high engine RPM the engine will definitely require a much thicker oil grade (as makers of high performance cars for track use recommend) to maintain an adequate HTFS viscosity. Obviously the valve train and other parts that run in boundary and mixed lubrication rely heavily on AF/AW additives and much less on MOFT. Of course any MOFT helps, even if it is less than a micron in those lubrication regimes.
Oil is also crucial in the boundary lubrication regime, and unlike in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime, the viscosity becomes directly related to wear in the boundary lubrication regime, as opposed to having minimal or no effect on wear if it is above a certain minimum in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime.

Here are the figures in the paper on engine shear rates:

Last edited:
How many people here were believers in Castrol Magnatech original formula being quieter, smoother etc? I was not one of them but they couldn't have all been wrong.
Magnatec was definitely the best oil in smoothness, responsiveness, and quietness, until I tried Edge bb. The Edge blows it away in those categories.

'This is quieter, that is noisier' is all based on emotions and assumptions. Quietness isn't a measurable performance criteria for motor oil.

But you sure will get a lot of opinions and feelings about it. So there's that.

Good luck!
It’s the good feel of fresh oil. Nothing more.

I have noticed certain engines are quieter / louder depending on what oil is in the sump. I don't personally think noise has any relation to wear, it's more of an observation. I noticed no difference when switching from PP to M1 in my Accord, it is as quiet as ever. However, when I switched from Castrol Edge to Valvoline Synthetic in my moms Terrain 2.4 it quieted down. Also of note, Mobil 1 IMMEDIATELY made my parents Chevy 3.5 tick at idle after switching to it. That lasted the entire OCI. Went to Valvoline after and the tick was gone.

I'm a believer, but again sound has no relation to wear. Not significantly anyway.

I am a believer as well having experienced this same phenomenon between different oils. No scientific basis at all but given the choice I prefer a quieter engine as I would imagine most here would as well.

The fact that the OP is using 0w-16 in this example shows that these newer oils are up for the job despite all the hand wringing and bashing of “watery thin” oils.
Thinner but maybe tackier? Just saying no science to back my statement.

Back