Interesting observation using Castrol Edge Full Syn 0W-16

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
About 2500 miles ago, I relieved my Venza of the Toyota Factory fill. Since then it is so apparent that the Castrol is a much quieter oil. You hear very little of the engine/eCVT buzz unless your on the floor. Even then it is much quieter than the TGMO was. Anyone else have a similar experience. This also happened to me with Valvoline Maxlife 5W-20 in comparison to oils blended by Mobil in a 2008 Taco.

Last edited:
Quietness isn't a measurable performance criteria for motor oil.
It may not be a measurable performance characteristic, but the noise level of an engine can certainly be measured. While I agree that typically speaking an oil will not make a lick of difference, there are exceptions.

In my personal experience, I had a Ram 1500 w/ the 4.7l V8. I don't know what it was about QSUD of that era (2010ish), but it had a noticeable impact on the noise level of that engine. The engine ran quieter every time QSUD was in the sump.

'Quietness isn't a measurable performance criteria for motor oil.
It may not be a measurable performance characteristic, but the noise level of an engine can certainly be measured. While I agree that typically speaking an oil will not make a lick of difference, there are exceptions.

In my personal experience, I had a Ram 1500 w/ the 4.7l V8. I don't know what it was about QSUD of that era (2010ish), but it had a noticeable impact on the noise level of that engine. The engine ran quieter every time QSUD was in the sump.
For clarity, there is no industry standardized test to measure the noise level of an engine based on the motor oil used to lubricate the engine.

So that gets us right back to personal experiences. Which are just that; personal.

Not based on any standard or repeatable test criteria.

'This is quieter, that is noisier' is all based on emotions and assumptions. Quietness isn't a measurable performance criteria for motor oil.

But you sure will get a lot of opinions and feelings about it. So there's that.

Good luck!
Why does everything have to have a number associated with a certain parameter? I trust my senses more than a measurement which can be manipulated intentionally, or the result of a iffy measurement device.

Why does everything have to have a number associated with a certain parameter? I trust my senses more than a measurement which can be manipulated intentionally, or the result of a iffy measurement device.
Motor oils are engineered products designed to do very specific things.
We measure their ability to do those things based on industry standards and repeatable, verifiable test criteria.

That you would chose to to rely on your senses and jump to conspiratorial speculation about a test that doesn't even exist says a lot about your perspective. I'll just leave it there.

Again I trust my senses as much as measurements. Always have Always will

Example:
I think my old Carver amp sounds better than equipment of the same era, which had 1/50th of the measured Total Harmonic Distortion. Again I was talking about a a personal observation, not a measurement.

We measure their ability to do those things based on industry standards and repeatable, verifiable test criteria.
Motor oils are engineered products designed to do very specific things.

That you would chose to to rely on your senses and jump to conspiratorial speculation about a test that doesn't even exist says a lot about your perspective. I'll just leave it th

Again I trust my senses as much as measurements. Always have Always will

Example:
I think my old Carver amp sounds better than equipment of the same era, which had 1/50th of the measured Total Harmonic Distortion. Again I was talking about a a personal observation, not a measurement.
So I bolded you last sentence specifically to prove the point I'm trying to make.
It absolutely is your personal observation.
And that it the problem.
A personal observation, by definition, is skewed and influenced by your personal experiences.

If we were just doing things based on feelings, I'd tell you a different brand is much quieter and you'd disagree. So then it devolves into a pi**ing match.
And that's how junk threads are perpetuated.

Last edited:
All I can say is that the Venza engine likes the oil (Castrol 0w-16).
In my Toyota, the synthetic tends to run quieter/smoother than non-synthetic or syn blend.
It is subjective to my ear, though and it is not measurable.

OP could be right. Castrol 0W-16 seems to be thicker than ExxonMobil (like TGMO and Mobil 1) and Shell oils, more like a 0W-20 than a 0W-16.

What matters is the base-oil viscosity—what I call HTFS (full-shear viscosity). Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-16 seems to be a monograde oil (no VII) and is the best in this respect, even thicker than a 5W-30, more in lines with a Euro 5W-30. So, give Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-16 a try in your next oil fill and see if it gets even a lot more quieter.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

What?! Your senses are interpreted by your brain and therefore completely SUBJECTIVE. This is THE reason scientific instrumentation exists. Nothing manipulates sensory data more than the human brain.

I ran type 4 atf in a 09 Taco for 10 years(specs ws) without problems; logic isn't always the best approach.

For clarity, there is no industry standardized test to measure the noise level of an engine based on the motor oil used to lubricate the engine.

So that gets us right back to personal experiences. Which are just that; personal.

Not based on any standard or repeatable test criteria.
Correct, an industry standard does not exist. Frankly, it shouldn’t either.

But that does not mean that an engine’s noise level can’t be measured and differences detected. Nor does it mean that there are no differences in noise level.

About 2500 miles ago, I relieved my Venza of the Toyota Factory fill. Since then it is so apparent that the Castrol is a much quieter oil. You hear very little of the engine/eCVT buzz unless your on the floor. Even then it is much quieter than the TGMO was. Anyone else have a similar experience. This also happened to me with Valvoline Maxlife 5W-20 in comparison to oils blended by Mobil in a 2008 Taco.
My Accord definitely likes Castrol oils (Magnatec and Edge) over the previous ones (PP and QSUD). Makes me wonder if different engines respond or "like" certain add packs over others? Who knows🤷‍♂️

What I experienced, the Castrol oils make my engine feel "peppier" no matter when cold or hot. The SP QSFS (formerly knows as QSUD) seemed like it made the engine feel a lil sluggish, and the PP felt sluggish once good and hot. All oils were 5W30, same brand/model oil filter.

A lot of us are pretty in-tune with our machines, and come here to discuss it. Heck, that's why we're all here!:D

'This is quieter, that is noisier' is all based on emotions and assumptions. Quietness isn't a measurable performance criteria for motor oil.

But you sure will get a lot of opinions and feelings about it. So there's that.
Sure about that? 😄

Last edited:
OP could be right. Castrol 0W-16 seems to be thicker than ExxonMobil (like TGMO and Mobil 1) and Shell oils, more like a 0W-20 than a 0W-16.

What matters is the base-oil viscosity—what I call HTFS (full-shear viscosity). Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-16 seems to be a monograde oil (no VII) and is the best in this respect, even thicker than a 5W-30, more in lines with a Euro 5W-30. So, give Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-16 a try in your next oil fill and see if it gets even a lot more quieter.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils
I’m confused, are you saying that Valvoline 0W16 is thicker than 5W30 and more like a European 5w30? And I’m also confused about the monograde statement and the group Vll base stock. Are you saying it’s mostly a PAO oil and therefore able to stay in grade?

Back