Insurance companies watching your driving through a smart phone

Have fun being broke down on the interstate without a cellphone and miles away from help. No one, not even most cops, pull over to help anyone as we all assume everyone has a cellphone.

More a matter of privacy.

On a recent insurance discussion with USAA (switched back from GEICO) they offered a discount on rates if I agreed to install and use their app every time I drove. It would monitor my speed, acceleration/braking, and other, undisclosed, parameters.

I truly don’t want to grant the ability to monitor me 100% of the time I am driving.

Not about being paranoid. It’s about having a right to privacy.

I had to consent to their monitoring. I declined consent.

if you agreed to that but got into an accident while your phone was at home and you got into an accident, what would happen? are you in breach of your contract?

I can see them usi
Every company offers that. They would cancel my insurance after 5 miles I think. Also, besides privacy, what is data usage while doing it? I can’t see how that wouldn’t contribute to spike in data which in the end cost wise, doesn’t make sense.
I told my company this exact thing. So I have to bump up my data plan by 15 dollars a month in order to use their stupid app and save 15 dollars a month? Plus it’s harder on the phone’s battery.

In regards to the OP's question - they don't know if you are driving or not. That was a major flaw I could see when these concepts and offers came out. As an example, in the past, I often rode an express bus from my suburb to downtown office location. Several of those drivers used the accelerator and brake pedals like on/off switches... And I was using my phone a lot while sitting on the bus. How would the app know it isn't me driving? Answer: It has no idea...

And as others have pointed out, more of the value to the insurance company is that you've consented to collecting and then likely the sale of your location data than anything in this case. With most phones making it easier to turn off location data, you consenting to it for other purposes makes it valuable...

Easy choice for me - I'll deal with a slightly higher premium if it means they trust I am disclosing my driving correctly to them for rating purposes (which I have no reason not to).

Too many "old man yells at cloud" comments here. I guess many of them don't need to keep in communication of friends/family/customers/dispatch while on the road.

And if you have to standby or wait for any moment in time what you gonna do? Twiddle your thumbs? Listen to AM talk radio?

You'll need to have their app running in the background on your phone in order to use the phones sensors (GPS, accelerometer, etc.) to track you.
Yeah makes me chuckle a little bit. I get some don't want a phone. I'm old enough where I still remember a time before cell phones, but the last 3 employers I've had all required that I have one and that they were able to reach me, so there is that. There are certainly days I wish I didn't have one. Neither of my vehicles even have infotainment. I could be biased though since I work in IT, I find that having a disconnect from technology is good. Like anything else, it is how you use it.

Reactions: Pew
I could be biased though since I work in IT, I find that having a disconnect from technology is good. Like anything else, it is how you use it.

Nothing worse than coming home and having to troubleshoot your own or worse, other people's technology issues!

We are the sum of the choices we make... if one does not like the tracking, one need not sign up for the insurance... no one is being forced to do anything.

One doesn’t need to sign up for insurance in order to register and operate a vehicle? That’s news to me.
Your little analogy would work if there was no government and an army of police officers forcing everyone to have auto insurance.
There is no choice in the matter of having insurance or not.

Oh boy... What if I ride in my brother's car? Or ride with a terrible Taxi or Uber driver? OR.... Can they tell the differance between driving my boat an driving my car into the lake? Sheesh.

My phone is always turned off while I drive.
Unless you have the type were you can remove the battery...it isn't really 'turned off' in the traditional sense. That power button isn't a real contact switch. It is like modern cars...unless you remove the battery, something is still active...

Unless you have the type were you can remove the battery...it isn't really 'turned off' in the traditional sense. That power button isn't a real contact switch. It is like modern cars...unless you remove the battery, something is still active...

If the phone is powered down it is off. It's not communicating or processing any data.

One doesn’t need to sign up for insurance in order to register and operate a vehicle? That’s news to me.
Your little analogy would work if there was no government and an army of police officers forcing everyone to have auto insurance.
There is no choice in the matter of having insurance or not.
I wrote, "do not sign up for THE insurance" - (emphasis added).

I intended this to mean THE (singular) insurance from the company that required tracking.

If needed, one can purchase insurance from a company that does not require tracking, or choose to go without insurance at all, albeit with the attendant risks.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you **** well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. - P. J. O'Rourke

I wrote, "do not sign up for THE insurance" - (emphasis added).

I intended this to mean THE (singular) insurance from the company that required tracking.

If needed, one can purchase insurance from a company that does not require tracking, or choose to go without insurance at all, albeit with the attendant risks.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you **** well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. - P. J. O'Rourke

Ok that makes sense. at least we still have choices not use the tracking devices, but I do wonder if that’s not going to change.

I'm running a Progressive "DONGLE" right now in my MB. So far they wanted me to hit one armadillo, one squirrel, one bicyclist, and run 1 one red light!
All hard brake warnings!
I opted NOT to use the cell phone app, since I ride my motorcycle on occasion, with my cell with me. (try texting while doing that!)
Anyway, my point is, normal driving in FL can be a little challenging for their dongle.
I think they give you a discount just for trying the thing! :)

Not sure if this is current policy, but I did this once before for the same company, and the hell only lasted for 5 or 6 months. Discount lasted like most discounts do, from premium payment till renewal time, etc. etc.

Back