Injector Ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes RX-300 has a fuel injector ticking(I beleive this is the issue!), when first started now that the outside temps are in the 20's & 30's F. When the temp drops down into the teens, it's really loud at start up and then quiets down while driving. As a matter of fact, the ticking really doesn't go away even while driving, it just becomes less noticable. Recently, the outside temps went back up into the low 60's F for the week(during the daytime) and all was fine until the temps dropped back down. I've tried several doses of MMO and then Lucas UCL(as directed) in the gas tank, to no avail. The engine starts and runs fine and the MPG is also good for this time of year. No oil burning/usage and 5W30 is being used as recomended by Lexus. Does anyone have any tips or advice other than possibly replacing an injector?... Also, I can't really say wheather it is an injector or valve or lifter. The sound is only heard on the inside of the car on the passenger side when started and, when I lift up the hood of the enging bay, I can't hear anything except a smooth running engine. This ticking sounds like "Ttttttttttttttttttttttttttt"! LOL. And only speeds up a little bit with some throttle tip in. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

CB

By the way! The ticking is not the same start up rattle that one experiences with a poor sealing ADBV from an oil filter.

Similar issue here on all my cars.

When we hit 40-50F or higher it subsides greatly or goes away and it's not a lifter/oil related sound either. One can usually tell the difference if they've worked around and on vehicles as long as I have plus the ticking is not very loud as you've mentioned.

I tend to ignore it but have messed a bit with some additives with little or no changes.

I have heard....I am not an expert on new tech stuff, However.... the computer can be sending the wrong signal to the injectors when to squirt the fuel. Maybe a cold temp sender failing and sending a wrong signal to the computer?

Or

There is air in the system or getting into the system causing the ticking. I remember when I needed to change a fuel rail on a Dodge 3.8 engine. I did not bleed out the air and the engine rattled until the air was bled out.

Use a mechanic's stethoscope, unplug selected injectors, or otherwise test them for the root cause of the tick.
Do you have an oil controlled variable cam system on the car?

A small crack in an exhaust manifold on one cylinder can make the noise and go away or get better once it gets hot.

i'm a mechanic at a nissan dealership and it is not uncommon to hear a "ticking" type noise from the injector area, especially in colder temps. depending on the design of the injector, in colder weather fuel pressure is higher until vehicle gets up to operating temp, causing this noise from the injector or injectors........in most cases won't hurt anything. just annoying. 02' and up altimas have very loud ticking noises from the injectors. goes away after engine has warmed up. first couple of cars we tried replacing injectors to satisfy the customers, but didn't fix problem. just design flaw? maybe. my wifes 03' altima really ticks when its cold. car works great. almost 200000 kms on it. don't lose any sleep about it.....

in my BMW, the injectors tick at temperature, but not when cold. Happened even when replaced with new bosch injectors.

JMH

My old Dodge with the Mitsu 3.0 had noisy injectors from the get-go. My van has somewhat loud injectors and the Taurus is barely noticeable. Hmmm- new slogan; "Loud Injectors Saves Lives"?

Thanks to all.
We've owned the car for 7 years now and trust me, it's never done this before during anytime of the season.(Sounds like a song!)

mechtech2,
Yes, the engine is a VVT-i system(Variable Valve Timing w/intelligence). I believe this is what you mean by oil controlled variable cam. Also, I'd have to remove the intake plenum in order to get to the rear injectors/fuel rail for testing(this seems to be where the ticking is coming from). I'll do this in the warmer months of course when the ticking will not be there LOL! If I get this involved in the injectors, there are other things that I'd like to also do while Im in that general vacinity of the engine compartment such as clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor and inspect the IAC Valve along with any cracked vacuum hoses and such.

jduramax,
I also have an 04 Altima like the ones that you are describing(02-06), and I am not experiencing any injector noise with this car although I do get some timing chain rattle while the engine is cold during the first 2-5 minutes of driving(outside temp depentant), during the winter months only.

Thanks once again to all and have a good week!

A cold start requires much more fuel, so the injectors are cycled 'harder' then. More noise in almost all cases.
A tank of gas with a good cleaner in it would be my next step. Cheap, and it works for all sorts of fuel system and combustion chamber cleaning. The standards are Gumout REGANE, Chevron Techron [the strongest most expensive one], and Redline S1.

My Integra has some of the noisiest injectors I've ever heard, but it doesn't hurt a thing. Still runs like a top. I've used Fuel Power products since I purchased it early last year and it didn't help any, either.

Well, as I mentioned in my original post, I have tried several doses of MMO and then Lucas UCL as perscribed in their instructions.

mechtech2,
I do have 4 bottles of REGANE Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my stash from a recent FAR from AutoZone. I usually use fuel system cleaners just prior to the end of an OCI which won't be until the spring but, I may just give it a try anyway.

ThirdeYe,
I have heard this "noisy injector" issue from many friends and they state the same thing as you do...No problems! Many miles too!

Thanks Again,

CB

IMHO when electronic fuel injection system has accumulated a certain amount of mileage, the injectors will become noisy and there's no cure for that but to have the full set replaced (buy why do so then? Unless you are absolutely Aay-naal bout noise)

I've been dealing with EFI of all sorts and virtually all cars that I've come across to date (including some 1st hand vehicles with high mileages, incl. my own) will come with those noise, one way or another.

Learn to live with it and be happy. Even European cars with have that kinda noise when they age...

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back