Infiniti Q50RS 64K coolant in oil

well (edit - MOD)

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.16.39 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since you have a MY2018, your Q is within the 6-yr/70k mile Powertrain Warranty, so looks like a call to your Infiniti dealer is in-order.
I'm betting it's a porous block issue with these UOA results - you'll likely be getting a new short block.

Excellent use of a UOA; catching a problem before total destruction.
Let's hope the warranty will cover it ... time will tell.
Let’s say you were the dealer tech who received this vehicle in their bay – how would you verify this complaint?

I'm going to speculate that they're going to want a CEL, or visible / audible evidence of the problem before they can do anything. I know it seems counterintuitive to wait until the main bearings get eaten, but proactive repairs aren't something dealership service departments are famous for doing. They'll be looking for a noise or ECU code before they can act.

Isn’t there a test available for the coolant to detect hydrocarbons or whatever the contamination is produced by the leak?
Unreliable at best, definitely not admissible as the sole form of diagnosis while under warranty

Unreliable at best, definitely not admissible as the sole form of diagnosis while under warranty

The only other thing I can think of is a pressure test but they may want the OP to pay for it. If the test does show a leak then that could be refunded back.

Sounds like some talking with high level management at the dealership is in order.

The only other thing I can think of is a pressure test but they may want the OP to pay for it. If the test does show a leak then that could be refunded back.

Sounds like some talking with high level management at the dealership is in order.
i was about to bring it it in for missing coolant, so theres that evidence at least, took half a gallon in the last 1000 miles

That's too bad & hopefully the warranty can do the inspection to verify the issue then proceed with new gaskets or engine. Let us know.

VR30DETT, 3.0
Hmmm, I can't find that engine but found a VR30DDTT. I was just interested in present day Nissan engine families as we have a VK56 in our 2014 Armada (has been rock solid for 130K) and a big reason I hang onto it is that the engine is simple by today's standards.

Back