indifferent oil changes,clean engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the valve cover gasket on my 99 Jeep Cherokee today.It can actually be done with one tool and not having to remove half the stuff under the hood.This is a photo of the head .The engine has about 140,000 miles,12 years old of course.I change oil around every 5000 miles with whatever 10-40 is at hand.Lately been using Kendall GT and always Wix filters.I bought the vehicle used a few years ago and don't know anything about it's previous maintenance history.
2820516120028817115S500x500Q85.jpg

Goes to show you the oil plays a role but if changed, and most important the other factors that come into place, all result in a photo like yours.WOW! You say NY, not the city? If it is the city that is quite a picture with the stop and hardly go you find in the city.

I use Kendall GT non synthetic or Kendall Diesel which has 1200 ppm zinc for the flattappets. This Jeep and my other 99 Cherokee came from down South.The other Jeep's engine looks the same.I drive very little stop and go.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Shhh...you'll burst the bubble of those who think that only a synthetic oil will keep an engine clean.

I haven't heard anyone preaching that around here.

By indifferent I mean not sticking to one brand of oil and at times using house brand names.But alway a Wix or Napa filter.The Cherokee PVC system can plug up and that creates a mess under the valve cover.
A quick story;back many years ago I worked part time at a school bus garage.At the time the Fleet was about 100 buses,mostly early 70's Fords and IHC.They average about 10,000 miles each during the school year.They were gas V-8 engines.I was surprised to learn the oil was rarely changed,I mean once a year during the summer.Back in the late 70's ,running oil for 10,000 miles in somewhat heavy duty bus use sounded insane.It was sludge city back then in car engines for guys who remember.But when valve covers were pulled to replace leaking gaskets,the heads were really clean inside.The garage manager said the engines ran hard and hot so they stayed clean.The buses last about 9 years and so did the engines. Maybe if the oil was changed more often they would last longer.But since the bus was scrapped ,who cared if the engine still had life in it? And yes,a few engines started smoking or lost oil pressure before their time but never could say it was because of the lack of oil changes.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Internally clean engines are not rare.

Yep.. I've been seeing more and more of them lately.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Shhh...you'll burst the bubble of those who think that only a synthetic oil will keep an engine clean.

Believe it or not we have mostly Group 1 oils still in Australia and 1000's of clean engines like that. We have cars just as old on original engines, taxis etc that have run Group 1's. Group 2 3 and 4 are premiums.

Congrats on a spotless engine. I just picked up a couple of Gallons of Kendall, Synthetic Blend 15w40 Diesel at a "Flying J" truck stop to add my stash.

Can't wait to change the oil to a mix of some Dino Diesel with motor oil when I get back to Coney Island.

That is one great looking engine! You need to be commended for your diligent work in your OCIs.

Cheers!

Last edited:
and everytime you 'mix' something you dilute the best qualities of each oil. You are not creating anything better, but it's your fetish, enjoy it

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back