Indian Firm to Buy Cooper Tire for $2.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Are we only left to wonder whether or not you had a point?

It was from the big mess of posts earlier....but, I could just add a Wow for fun since I cannot edit it....
grin.gif

Yes, this thread was edited with several posts on 7/07 deleted so the true context of the previous poster's response cannot be accurately judged. Apparently this was done not long after his response.

One can only assume that at least one of those posts was deemed very inappropriate and/or offensive and thus deleted after the fact. Curious how that happens for certain posters.

It's hard not to get political when discussing this issue. There are all kinds of viewpoints and facts (some of which aren't facts at all!).

The only thing I can say is that in the top 5 tire manufacturers we have US, French, Japanese, German, and either another Japanese or an Italian (depending on which list you look at!).

I don't see a pattern here at all, except to say, there's no one country that is dominating. I don't see why an Indian company couldn't be part of that mix.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
It's hard not to get political when discussing this issue. There are all kinds of viewpoints and facts (some of which aren't facts at all!).

The only thing I can say is that in the top 5 tire manufacturers we have US, French, Japanese, German, and either another Japanese or an Italian (depending on which list you look at!).

I don't see a pattern here at all, except to say, there's no one country that is dominating. I don't see why an Indian company couldn't be part of that mix.

I think part of the concerns people here have is the news from India and China this past year about the abuse and lack of concern for workers in those countries...where workers are overworked and underpaid, and buildings falling/failing due to intentionally neglected building standards...employers killing thousands of employees...whose products are made to substandard and lethal specs killing customers...a culture in which workers and customers alike are disposable, replaceable components in the profit making process...

Given the bridge collapse in Minnesota five years ago, the air crash in SF this week, and the Boeing 787 battery failure/fix this past year, one can point to US Federal government safety standards developed over the past 100 years that Americans and people around the world rely on and too often take for granted until the building, bridge or product fails...

It's a world-wide concern and the broader the market the more oversight may be needed to protect us...

I could agree with that, KC. I think the are worried about the jobs, which is a valid point. I thought here is that they are going to do little to avoid a blacklash like here on BITOG. Cooper themselves have been cutting back for years to save money, so it's not like they are going to just ship the tires overseas. I see them doing kinda what Fiat is doing, grow and improve the current brand, while introducing their own brand (depending on where this brand placement fits)

It is the usual fear of the unknown, but you can't control change...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Yes, this thread was edited with several posts on 7/07 deleted so the true context of the previous poster's response cannot be accurately judged. Apparently this was done not long after his response.

One can only assume that at least one of those posts was deemed very inappropriate and/or offensive and thus deleted after the fact. Curious how that happens for certain posters.

I noticed that also. Not only on this thread but another one involving the owner of a Mustang that vanished. MODERATORS are not allowed to delete content on this site unless it's offfensive language etc. Not because they simply don't like some of the words. Just ask the owner.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I noticed that also. Not only on this thread but another one involving the owner of a Mustang that vanished. MODERATORS are not allowed to delete content on this site unless it's offfensive language etc. Not because they simply don't like some of the words. Just ask the owner.

It wouldn't be the first time.

perhaps there's a "mystery mod"?

Wow, I was just about to buy a set of Cooper tires.
Cross that company off my list.

While the tires already made are fine, I'll spend my money with an American company.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Wow, I was just about to buy a set of Cooper tires.
Cross that company off my list.

While the tires already made are fine, I'll spend my money with an American company Goodyear.

Here, I fixed that for you.

So be it. Nothing wrong with people striving to buy domestic stuff from domestic companies, employing domestic workers. Not always possible, or sometimes there is a good reason why domestic made (or first world made) from a foreign company works better. But IMO there's a big difference between first world business and manufacturing with rough parity on costs, versus third world encroachment.

It certainly will be interesting to see how Indian tires from Apollo enter the market, and what happens with Cooper's pricing structure... And their US employees.

List of some American made tires from http://www.americanmadetires.com/whereTiresMade.html
DOT Code Company

BE B.F. Goodrich (Michelin) Tuscaloosa, AL
BF B.F Goodrich (Michelin) Woodburn, IN
AN B.F. Goodrich (Michelin) Opelika, AL
VE/YE/YU/8B Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Des Moines, IA
2M/3M Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Bloomington, IL
D2/E3/W1/Y7 Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Lavergne, TE
2C/4D//5D Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Morrison, TE
UP Cooper Finlay, OH
UT Cooper Texarkana, AR
DY Denman, (Penslar Capital) Warren, OH
DA Dunlop (Goodyear) Buffalo N.Y.
(my home town that is always hurting for work!)
JJ/MD/PU Goodyear Gadsden, AL
JN/MJ/PY Goodyear Topeka, KS
JE/MC/PT Goodyear Dansville, VA
JT/MK/TA Goodyear Union City, TN
JP/MP/PL Kelly-Springfield (Goodyear) Tyler, TX
JF/MM/PJ Kelly-Springfield (Goodyear) Fayetteville, NC
CC Yokohama Tire Salem, VA

As always, I'll just buy the tires that work best for a specific application. I've bought three sets of Cooper tires in the past couple of years and they have proven to be excellent tires.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
List of some American made tires from http://www.americanmadetires.com/whereTiresMade.html
DOT Code Company

BE B.F. Goodrich (Michelin) Tuscaloosa, AL
BF B.F Goodrich (Michelin) Woodburn, IN
AN B.F. Goodrich (Michelin) Opelika, AL
VE/YE/YU/8B Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Des Moines, IA
2M/3M Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Bloomington, IL
D2/E3/W1/Y7 Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Lavergne, TE
2C/4D//5D Bridgestone/Firestone (Bridgestone) Morrison, TE
UP Cooper Finlay, OH
UT Cooper Texarkana, AR
DY Denman, (Penslar Capital) Warren, OH
DA Dunlop (Goodyear) Buffalo N.Y.
(my home town that is always hurting for work!)
JJ/MD/PU Goodyear Gadsden, AL
JN/MJ/PY Goodyear Topeka, KS
JE/MC/PT Goodyear Dansville, VA
JT/MK/TA Goodyear Union City, TN
JP/MP/PL Kelly-Springfield (Goodyear) Tyler, TX
JF/MM/PJ Kelly-Springfield (Goodyear) Fayetteville, NC
CC Yokohama Tire Salem, VA

I find that list very interesting - particularly since we are discussing a foreign manufacturer buying a US manufacturer. Of that list, 2/3's fit that description (foreign owned, domestic plant)

I think what is more pertinent is: What affect will a change in ownership have? Better products? Better quality? Loss of jobs? Loss of tax revenue? Etc.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Loss of jobs? Loss of tax revenue? Etc.

You can bet that every tire made or sold in the US have been through Bermuda and back so you are paying 0.005% of income tax to the Bermuda government and nothing to the US governments, federal or states.

You may or may not pay the sales tax depends on which state you buy from, and whether you cross the state line or not.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
You can bet that every tire made or sold in the US have been through Bermuda and back so you are paying 0.005% of income tax to the Bermuda government and nothing to the US governments, federal or states.

You may or may not pay the sales tax depends on which state you buy from, and whether you cross the state line or not.

Totally false.

While I can appreciate the idea that companies try to maximize their profits, I know of no tire manufacturer who does as was suggested - and I know for a fact that at least one company doesn't do that at all (or at least hides it incredibly well)

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of what companies do to shield profits from taxes - both legally and illegally. But I don't think we ought to be making stuff up to justify our political opinions.

Epilogue:

Arkansas Business reports today that the deal is off.

Union problems, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back