Indian Firm to Buy Cooper Tire for $2.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling there for support, may as well make them there too. Probably another "dirty job" driven off shore by the tree huggers..

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: dgsbikes
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Indian company....um I think that I won't be purchasing these tires

Huh!?? If anything, Cooper will be much better off with Apollo. Have you seen what happened with Jaguar once Tata bought it from Ford? The quality improved significantly and I am seeing many more Jaguars on the roads these days than before so is the case with Land Rover!

Apollo is a very strong player in India, especially in the commercial segment.

We have yet to see what Jaguar's long-term reliability is going to be like under Tata's ownership.

Ford was good for Jaguar, they were (are - even paired with Land Rover) way too small to survive as an independent car maker, but from the peanut gallery, Tata looks to be better.

The F Type would not have come to market had Ford still owned the company. I have said I would not buy another since Ford sold the marque, but I think I will wind up getting an XF or an F Type for my wife in a year or two, despite the foreign ownership.

Back on topic, there was an article in Arkansas Business about this today as Cooper has a factory in Texarkana. I agree that the management will be on the unemployment line pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

We have yet to see what Jaguar's long-term reliability is going to be like under Tata's ownership.

I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any worse than when Ford ran the show.

Oh, I'm sure it could, LOL!

The days of Lucas electrics were long before Ford entered the picture
grin.gif

Likely way long before; my first was an '89, Ford had bought them the year prior. I've since owned four, still have two of them, and can't recall ever seeing a Lucas electrical part on one. I did get some Lucas rear brake pads once.

Most of the electrics on the ones I've had up through and including the '94 Xj12, ( were ) are Hella, Bosch, AB Electrolux, or similar. The ignition system on the Xj12 is Magneti Marelli which is kind of an oddball, but at least it sounds exotic, and the tranny controller is a GM part since it has a 4L80E.

I don't know what the '04 is made of - I've never had to do anything to it. Could be full of Lucas stuff.

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with an Indian company buying a middle tier tire maker. (edit:) Particularly since it looks like they are paying way too much money for it.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised one bit. Holistically speaking the fabric of our country's economy is in dire need of resurgence ASAP. The highest bidders for American companies should only be American by default.

Experts already have predicted China's GDP will supercede the USA's GDP by 2018, with India not far behind. Link to article

Anybody remember what happened to Arcelor when Mittal Steel took them over?

I will pass. RIP, Cooper Tire. I will never purchase your brand again.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
I'm not surprised one bit. Holistically speaking the fabric of our country's economy is in dire need of resurgence ASAP. The highest bidders for American companies should only be American by default.

Experts already have predicted China's GDP will supercede the USA's GDP by 2018, with India not far behind. Link to article

India's GDP is currently a pathetic 1.8 trillion. They aren't a contender and won't be for a long time. They're 1/2 the GDP of Germany, but with 15 times the population. That means that each Indian is 3.3 percent of a German.

Originally Posted By: Win
OVERKILL said:
Ford was good for Jaguar, they were (are - even paired with Land Rover) way too small to survive as an independent car maker, but from the peanut gallery, Tata looks to be better.

I didn't mean to play down Ford if that's how it came across! Ford itself has come a long way in the past few years and that too on their own merit! So Kudos to them for that!

What I was trying to get to was that an Indian (or any other country for that matter) Enterprise is not necessary bad for a product. Stereotyping is one of the biggest limitations of the society today! Some of the largest US companies are brain child of non-us individuals/enterprises and these companies!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, US companies have been buying/investing in companies in other countries for decades, and that was great. But when suddenly those other countries' companies try to buy a US business, all of a sudden it's sacrilege?

The pendulum swings both ways.

It's a sign that we're in DECLINE.
China is expanding it's space program while we expand our 'social' programs....

Originally Posted By: GenSan

We need to send an army of lawyers and union organizers to China and India to 'help' them....

Originally Posted By: pbm
China is buying Smithfield, the big pork producer.
India is buying Cooper tires.
These countries are thinking about business while we worry about 'group rights'....it's sad what's happening to America.

"Pork is China's meat of choice, accounting for nearly ¾ of its overall meat consumption. In fact, the Chinese now eat six times the amount of pork that Americans do."

"Shuanghui International Holdings is buying Smithfield Foods Inc, the world's biggest hog producer, for $4.7 billion to feed a growing Chinese appetite for US pork...

The deal will help Smithfield sell its products to a growing Chinese middle-class through Shuanghui's distribution network, while Shuanghui gains access to high-quality and safe US products, said company chairman Wan Long...

Average live hog prices in China, at about $2.08 per kilogram, are currently around a third higher than in the United States, Haggard said.
"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busin...ow/20344867.cms

Last edited:
If that's pathetic then this is what? CLICK

India's measly GDP doesn't look pathetic at all after you factor in national debt.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Indian company....um I think that I won't be purchasing these tires

The sad thing is that I just bought a set on the basis of the fact that they were US made by a US company. The othert option was Yokohama, which is US made by a Japanese company.

Sad. So goodyear is the last real US manufacturer of tires at this point?

So, US companies have been buying/investing in companies in other countries for decades, and that was great. But when suddenly those other countries' companies try to buy a US business, all of a sudden it's sacrilege?

Difference here is that Cooper Tire is going to "disappear". There was a big reason Ford recently shot down to add a few lines of Cooper tires to a few of there models...

Most non BITOG people don't even know who Cooper Tire is. Expect a "new, hip, trendy" name for the kids...

India pretty much bought it for the factories and tech....

Originally Posted By: pbm

It's a sign that we're in DECLINE.
China is expanding it's space program while we expand our 'social' programs....

Umm....we've been in decline since the 80s....

Meh, if Cooper keeps making tires in the U.S. and keeps a U.S presence then I'd still buy them. Employing average U.S. workers is what's most important to me, not where the top office is located.

Now, if they shutter the U.S. production, that's another story. But at this point I don't think there's any indication if they will or won't do that.

Apollo already bought out a (MUCH smaller) Dutch tire company called Vredestein, yet all Vredestein car tires are still made in the Netherlands.

If that relatively small operation has been unaffected in terms of manufacturing, then I don't really foresee that much less US production, and Dutch labor is likely more expensive than American labor, even with the UAW. Apollo has owned Vredestein for quite some time now.

Another thing to keep in mind, Cooper tires are at the lower end of the tire market, competing with cheap Koreans Kumho and Hankook. They also practically own the private label tire market, even cheaper tires, yet most of these private labels are still USA-made.

tl;dr: I don't see much changing, and I was never really a big fan of Cooper tires anyway. Cooper tires may or may not improve in quality, but they certainly won't get worse.

Ive heard nothing but good about the CS4, and have two sets waiting to be mounted onto my MBs.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Apollo already bought out a (MUCH smaller) Dutch tire company called Vredestein, yet all Vredestein car tires are still made in the Netherlands.

If that relatively small operation has been unaffected in terms of manufacturing, then I don't really foresee that much less US production, and Dutch labor is likely more expensive than American labor, even with the UAW. Apollo has owned Vredestein for quite some time now.

Another thing to keep in mind, Cooper tires are at the lower end of the tire market, competing with cheap Koreans Kumho and Hankook. They also practically own the private label tire market, even cheaper tires, yet most of these private labels are still USA-made.

tl;dr: I don't see much changing, and I was never really a big fan of Cooper tires anyway. Cooper tires may or may not improve in quality, but they certainly won't get worse.

This is where I'd disagree. We the consumer in the US want the cheapest available. Plus, if Apollo wants to get into the US market, where is that going to put Cooper? There are simply too many questions here, and I can understand why Cooper's employees are concerned.

I can hope that they just leave it alone and add apollo tires, but we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back