Indian Firm to Buy Cooper Tire for $2.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
"The company said it plans to keep Cooper's management."

That's corporate-speak for "They'll all be gone in a year."

Pretty much. Knowledge needs to be transferred before the resources can be disposed of.

China is buying Smithfield, the big pork producer.
India is buying Cooper tires.
These countries are thinking about business while we worry about 'group rights'....it's sad what's happening to America.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Indian company....um I think that I won't be purchasing these tires

Huh!?? If anything, Cooper will be much better off with Apollo. Have you seen what happened with Jaguar once Tata bought it from Ford? The quality improved significantly and I am seeing many more Jaguars on the roads these days than before so is the case with Land Rover!

Apollo is a very strong player in India, especially in the commercial segment.

Originally Posted By: pbm
These countries are thinking about business while we worry about 'group rights'....it's sad what's happening to America.

Yup, that is SCARY!

Quote:
It is also another example of an Asian company buying a well-known U.S. firm, coming just two weeks after China's Shuanghui Group agreed to buy Smithfield Foods (SFD.N) for $5 billion.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dgsbikes
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Indian company....um I think that I won't be purchasing these tires

Huh!?? If anything, Cooper will be much better off with Apollo. Have you seen what happened with Jaguar once Tata bought it from Ford? The quality improved significantly and I am seeing many more Jaguars on the roads these days than before so is the case with Land Rover!

Apollo is a very strong player in India, especially in the commercial segment.

We have yet to see what Jaguar's long-term reliability is going to be like under Tata's ownership.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

We have yet to see what Jaguar's long-term reliability is going to be like under Tata's ownership.

I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any worse than when Ford ran the show.

So, US companies have been buying/investing in companies in other countries for decades, and that was great. But when suddenly those other countries' companies try to buy a US business, all of a sudden it's sacrilege?

The pendulum swings both ways.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

Oh, I'm sure it could, LOL!

The days of Lucas electrics were long before Ford entered the picture
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

Oh, I'm sure it could, LOL!

The days of Lucas electrics were long before Ford entered the picture
grin.gif

C'mon, Ford brought Jaguar up by several measures! Did the same thing at Aston Martin. Those companies were in the dark ages before their suitor Ford showed them how to make money and produce "real" cars.

Tata hasn't been involved with Jag long enough to say anything good or bad, too new to tell.

It's funny because I was at America's Tire Store last weekend as I decided to get new tires for my Ridgeline (Made in Canada). The original Michelins lasted 75k and still had quite a bit of thread left but the cracking was scaring me as I will be going on a 3k road/camping trip in July. Anyhoots, I decided on General Grabers as i have heard lots of good things about them. The salesguy says, "you should try the Coopers. Good old American company. General is owned by Continental (German?)." After they mounted my Generals I looked at the sidewall and it proudly said "Made In USA".

I have run only Coopers on my car and truck for the last 6 years simply because they were good tires and it was an American company. No more Coopers for me. I'll but Euro tires instead if I can't find a good American tire.

Originally Posted By: pbm

+1 i hate seeing our country sold off before our very eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back