Incompetence, Mendacity in the Rebuilding Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most rebuild are just horrible with a staggering failure rate over over 75% in some cases. For steering I deal with small company exclusively or OE new if available. They do an outstanding job and are picky about cores, they don't take trash back and they certainly don't paint over dirt, they are done right.

The racks are properly indexed which is something you cant say for many rebuilds. The last one I did was 16 turns on one tie rod end and 16.25 on other to get it in spec (can also be many variables) with the steering wheel dead nuts on center. Every part is match marked and the price is only a little more than the garbage from AA, AZ, etc, in fact trade price is even lower even with the coupons.

There are places that do nice work using quality parts but they are few and far between these days. I have places for almost everything from custom braided lines, starter, alternators, transmissions, electric motors of all types (full rewind) etc but it took years to weed them out, many don't advertise, they don't need or want to.
Many parts I do myself if I can get the internals.

Some instances there is a difference between the cost and the price. The oem price at $1300.00 is a bargain . The rebuild at $400.00 has really cost you a bundle in labor and lost time.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Some instances there is a difference between the cost and the price. The oem price at $1300.00 is a bargain . The rebuild at $400.00 has really cost you a bundle in labor and lost time.

Tell me about it. The truck was down for the most important period for a moving company, the end of the month. They had to rent a truck to replace this one.

Freightliner did not have a new pump in stock, none in Canada, it had to come in from the Freightliner warehouse in Memphis with a week's lead time. I could have paid extra to have it delivered sooner by air freight, and that is exactly what I would have done had I known how it would turn out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yeah, very scary knowing that it could be shipped to China and back with a profit for only $35

I think it was discussed earlier. It's cheaper to ship a part from China to the US than it is to ship a part from one part of the US to another. It put a lot of eBay businesses out of business because they couldn't compete with the China shipping prices. Some trade agreement makes the shipping to the US from China really low.

There is an article in The Wall Street Journal about this today.

Have had good starters, brake calipers and power steering pumps. The calipers for my 89 firebird were $9. Nine bucks! Only replaced b/c the bleeders snapped off, so I'll let their overseas experts fiddle with that issue.

I get used alternators from a boneyard if I need one.

Had a lousy steering rack for a volvo 940-- it leaked from its own flared line to itself! And the paint rubbed off like it was shoe polish.

For MOST things....

I'd rather roll the dice with a good used salvage yard part than take my chances with what barely passes as "rebuilt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back