Threading-in high pressure line into PS pump

I’ve seen issues like this before so I am wondering if there is a special trick to it. I just pulled a Ford power steering pump and took off the high pressure line but now the line won’t thread into the rebuilt pump. The threads in on the line look perfect. The threads of the rebuilt pump seem OK , but just not sure. The rebuilt pump is from Motorcraft. I’ll probably put the old pump back into position to see I can thread back in. The rebuilt one is from Rock Auto, so I can send it back, but wondering if there are any tips out there. Thanks.

Thanks, also I’m willing to purchase a die and tap set to chase large threads. Does anyone know firstly if power steering fittings for 2000 and above are metric? And what would the common sizes be? The threads on the power steering pump look to be about 19 mm in diameter.

Have a picture of the fitting on the p/s line? If its the standard Ford pressure line they can be a bit of a pain to start. I wanna say its an 18mm thread but dont quote me on that

Fords usually have a seal inside the Nut & Teflon seal on the outside that of coarse needs to be changed every time. They can be a pain if this is your first time dealing with them. You may need to loosen any hose/line support bracket near where the line threads into the pump.

Year/make/model/engine should be included when asking such a question

Power steering hoses suck! Just be patient and keep trying. I've found you may think you're threading it straight on, but try to change the angle of how you're looking at it, you Have to be perfectly straight on it.

Have a picture of the fitting on the p/s line? If its the standard Ford pressure line they can be a bit of a pain to start. I wanna say its an 18mm thread but dont quote me on that
Here are some photos. It has a new Teflon ring on it but also shown is where the line thread touches the nut. It doesn’t thread in beyond that point. The engine is a 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0 V-6. Please don’t use the photo to judge straightness as there is bit of optical illusion going on with the photo.

For Mr. Clinebarger, good point, the fitting is on the end of the rather stiff line that is clamped to the exhaust manifold with a nut. I’ll heat up the nut and try get it the nut loosened up so that the bracket is loose and does not try twist the assembly. Stay tuned. Thanks everyone. Snag

7AE72666-7800-4A16-92DA-C037CA231CEB.jpegE4E903D5-9DAC-4B09-AA43-5276E56707D0.jpeg

Although it might be the orientation issue, I had a look at my Die and Tap set and the largest I have is 1/2 inch and 12 mm. I can probably purchase an individual Die and Tap or better yet, a thread chaser if I can verify the thread. Thanks.

DA390D60-A9EE-4A07-9434-3BE0E5B2FE06.jpeg

Can you dry fit everything before it’s in the vehicle?

I had the same issue with re installing the high pressure lines into the steering gear on my truck. The threads were just at a slight angle.

Success! It’s installed. Thanks everyone. Especially to Mr. Clinebarger for suggesting to loosen any clamps. There was one attached to a stud on manifold. I put the propane heat to it, got it loose with a wrench ( my impact wrench would not fit), then I sprayed it with liquid wrench and the nut came off easily. My impression is that I was able to move the axis of the fitting to more of a 10 o’clock position and this time instead of spinning, I felt resistance and started turning it with a wrench. It caught and I was able to cinch it up and bury the Teflon ring. Thanks again. Here are some photos for anyone doing it in the future. The last photo is reinstalling the nut after coating the stud with antiseize. Enjoy. :)

0D475B13-FAF7-4136-84AC-30F285CDD5DB.jpegFFE98135-91D9-411B-9E85-FFA4E502DAC2.jpeg1E053B93-20FF-4D3F-A5C8-A96280FF4A2D.jpeg45988A4E-B595-42C5-8706-7C801D61A3CB.jpeg7F86232A-28CB-40B4-9381-BA440AFCEFFC.jpeg495F7AEE-B195-4AEA-BE54-EED215BEE18F.jpeg67BD9D1E-B7C8-4811-B2A3-F757B3698C96.jpeg

Back