Trany dying in my 95 BMW 525i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Russell:

Like I mentioned earlier make sure that after you disconnect the battery that you turn the ignition key several times to start to drain ALL remaining capacitance from the electrical system. Even let it sit w/ batt disconnected over night to be sure ECU and or TCU is completely drained of all memory...

It does sound serious but miracles do happen, especially with German cars....I had a starter in my current 96 Golf GL that when you cranked seemed to have a malfunctioning engagement gear... would crank over after two or three turns of the key..(I thought darn !) But after a few weeks the thing literally seemed to fix itself! After a couple of years since the issue no problems!! LOL Perhaps a piece of debris got wedged in between the gears??

Post back on Saturday.

Originally Posted By: urchin
@Russell:

Like I mentioned earlier make sure that after you disconnect the battery that you turn the ignition key several times to start to drain ALL remaining capacitance from the electrical system. Even let it sit w/ batt disconnected over night to be sure ECU and or TCU is completely drained of all memory...

It does sound serious but miracles do happen, especially with German cars....I had a starter in my current 96 Golf GL that when you cranked seemed to have a malfunctioning engagement gear... would crank over after two or three turns of the key..(I thought darn !) But after a few weeks the thing literally seemed to fix itself! After a couple of years since the issue no problems!! LOL Perhaps a piece of debris got wedged in between the gears??

Post back on Saturday.

Disconnected battery, ignition off/on several times. Let car set about 3.5 hours with battery disconnected.. Still bad shifting no change. Also code reader would not work.. No joy.

Last edited:
@Russell:

Wow sorry about that. I thought that at least you might get lucky and the main ECU would allow you to read it again.

Wonder if you can find an exact replacement of your ECU at a salvage yard to at least solve your ECU issue.

FTR...can anyone else confirm that this model does in fact have a transmission control module? I know a white back I was researching this very model and was sure I saw it mentioned.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Has anybody yet tried a simple "stomp test" to get codes on this car?

no. I have not since the Peake tool, which used to work, did not so i assumed the stomp test would not work. Aso I forgot how to do it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: calvin1
Has anybody yet tried a simple "stomp test" to get codes on this car?

no. I have not since the Peake tool, which used to work, did not so i assumed the stomp test would not work. Aso I forgot how to do it.
smile.gif

Turn the ignition to Run, floor the gas pedal 5x full stroke and then wait patiently (10-Mississippi should be plenty) to see if the CEL starts flashing codes. If nothing is stored it should at least flash the No Codes code (1444 IIRC, but not sure). It's at least worth a shot, especially if the fault is a broken wire at the diagnostic connector.

Quote:
..to drain ALL remaining capacitance from the electrical system.
You may as well light up some Incense as well.

You did the right thing by ordering a rebuild.. you got more than your share of miles out of the original.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Quote:

You did the right thing by ordering a rebuild.. you got more than your share of miles out of the original.

This wasn't just about the transmission it was also about the ECU not allowing codes to be read. As you know any electronic device that is computerized can be "rebooted" and reset by completely draining all electrical power from the system.

It is the same exact thing PC makers would suggest to customers for unusual issues. eg Unplug the unit, and press and hold the power button in for about 30 seconds to drain all residual power to reset.

Considering the price on the tranny it was worth a shot if the TCU was in error.

It might have been a long shot but if you can save thousands by trying an easy potential fix why not try it? Nothing to lose .

Originally Posted By: urchin
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Quote:

This wasn't just about the transmission it was also about the ECU not allowing codes to be read. As you know any electronic device that is computerized can be "rebooted" and reset by completely draining all electrical power from the system.

It is the same exact thing PC makers would suggest to customers for unusual issues. eg Unplug the unit, and press and hold the power button in for about 30 seconds to drain all residual power to reset.

Considering the price on the tranny it was worth a shot if the TCU was in error.

It might have been a long shot but if you can save thousands by trying an easy potential fix why not try it? Nothing to lose .

Perhaps the transmission control module (tcm) is creating the transmission problem as well as blocking the codes from being read? I plan to discuss this with the mechanic on Monday.

With 207k, I suspect the tranny is toast, but also be aware that the E32/E34 automatics are also susceptible to low voltage, though the symptom is usually phantom warning lights.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
With 207k, I suspect the tranny is toast, but also be aware that the E32/E34 automatics are also susceptible to low voltage, though the symptom is usually phantom warning lights.

If you mean the trans program message, I have not received this error with my current slipage issues. I did years ago when I had a weak battery.

let us know how it goes. 207k on any auto trans is a very, very good life. And a reputable rebuilt with a warranty works pretty well for me, especially considering the high price the dealer wants.

Hope the new one keeps you going! Keep the receipts for insurance purposes.

M

Originally Posted By: meep
let us know how it goes. 207k on any auto trans is a very, very good life. And a reputable rebuilt with a warranty works pretty well for me, especially considering the high price the dealer wants.

Hope the new one keeps you going! Keep the receipts for insurance purposes.

M

Thanks,
As i am the second owner, I have about every receipt available on the car.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Good luck with the car and hello from Danville!

Thanks Mark. The trany is on order.

I stopped by my BMW independent shop yesterday as the trany was just delivered. It was strapped down in a large blue plastic box. Inside the box was a the trany/torque convertor and returnable cooler trany flush kit, new shift interlock switch and latest eprom for the controller. I was told it was dynoed before shipping.

Link to the the rebuilder. Not the best web site in the world
smile.gif
They only sell to shops. http://www.peius.com/Default.asp

Picked it up late this afternoon. Seems to shift smoother than ever before. However I have only driven it six miles in trafffic, in the rain at night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back