95 bmw 525i trany rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 bmw 525i (build date 1/95) witht the GM 4 speed trany made in France. The one with two oil pans and electronic controls. I have reason to believe it is failing.

I asked around and get all kinds of opinions re rebuilding. BMW forums say this is an easy trany to rebuild and familar to most quality shops.

My local BMW independents scoff at local/regional rebuilders and prefer national rebuilders or BMW factory rebuilt tranys. A dealer rebuilt trany with labor is over $5,000, an independent bmw shop with a national rebuilder is about $3,500, a reputable local rebuilder stated about $1,800.

I am so unsure. I want the best quality repair as I plan to keep the car for several more years. Yet, I do not want to get shoddy work at any price. Advice please :)

Last edited:
i'm interested to hear the advice you get on this question as I commonly see many 5 and 7 series' being sold because of auto trans. problems on higher mileage ones (over 150k miles).

Did you do trans fluid flushes on your tranny? what was the fluid you used and OCI's?

Last edited:
Did not do flushes. I did fo fluid and filter change. First change was when I bought it at 80,000 miles with Valvoline Dexron III and Bgg(?) transmission supplement. After the first change I decided to change fluid and filters every 36,000 or so miles. Then I used Mobil 1 Dexron II synthetic. Then Castrol Dexron VI. Now due for another fluid change 35,000 mile later. My shop blows air through the trany cooler to get more fluid out before the refill. Car has a total of 177,000 miles.

BTW, this trany has no dipstick.

If the transmission shop that quoted you $1800.00 is a good shop than that might be the best bet...We deal with a transmission shop in New Jersey that does fantasic work and is very very reasonable with a one year warrantee for instance they recently did a 1996 dodge caravan with 180,000 miles for $1300.00 complete with a 1 year warrantee we also sent over a 2002 ford van he quoted us $1100.00 but after he looked at it he called us and said the trans was good it was something electronic he charged us $200.00 which included changing fluid and filter and fixing a slight leak.. This was after the customer got a quote of over $2200.00 from another trans shop.
Check them out don't think you are always getting more of a quality job from someone who is higher priced... Here is another one we are an engine rebuilding shop around two years ago we had a customer bring in his truck with a really bad knock in the engine we quoted him a price and he said he would think about it, 5 days later a dealer towed in the same truck and we rebuilt the engine he spent $1050.00 extra going to the dealer and got the same job done here where the dealer brought it to be rebuilt.. The dealer did nothing except tow it here to get the work done and made an additional $10.50

My thoughts as well. The $1,800 shop said all the right things. Need to check out them some more. The shop who normally works on my wife's Ford Explorer recommended them. BTW, that shop also recomendeded Jasper Transmissions because of their 3-year warrenty.

I am a bit concerned that these non-bmw shops may damage other components or not refit the driveshaft , exhaust etc. correctly

I had the transmission replaced on my '95 525iT a few years back at 150K miles. It's a GM Hydramatic 4L30E that's shared with other platforms.

I took mine to a reputable shop in the Bay Area, and the owner suggested that he install a remanufactured one from a vendor that he works with regularly. It came with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The benefit was that he could make the replacement in a day upon receipt of the unit. Otherwise, if I opted to have him rebuild the transmission, it would have taken longer. Total cost was ~$2.5K. I imagine costs in the San Francisco area would be higher than where you live, so the $1,800 quote sounds reasonable.

Originally Posted By: nel
I had the transmission replaced on my '95 525iT a few years back at 150K miles. It's a GM Hydramatic 4L30E that's shared with other platforms.

I took mine to a reputable shop in the Bay Area, and the owner suggested that he install a remanufactured one from a vendor that he works with regularly. It came with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The benefit was that he could make the replacement in a day upon receipt of the unit. Otherwise, if I opted to have him rebuild the transmission, it would have taken longer. Total cost was ~$2.5K. I imagine costs in the San Francisco area would be higher than where you live, so the $1,800 quote sounds reasonable.

Good advice. That's the approach my indy bmw shop wants. However, tehry are higher cost. Lexington's cost of living is less than San Francisco are but inflation seems to have not stopped when it comes to automotive labor costs. I also am a bit afraid of a non bmw shop damaging some other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back