inch pound torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a small 15 foot mudboat built and I'll be putting a 35 Briggs Vanguard in it, but I'd like to put aftermarket heads, a cam, exhaust and a carburetor on it before I install it in the boat. I have all the parts ordered, and the head bolts call for 350 in lbs. Does anyone know here I can get an in lb wrench that does 350? Ive looked with no luck. I converted it to ft-lbs and it comes out to 29.16

Last edited:
Op may not have a foot pound wrench that goes that low.

In a pinch, harbor freight sells an inch pound wrench that covers that range and costs about $15.

I don't think any go that high in 1/4" size for in lbs, a 3/8 drive is more in the range. I bought my 3/8 at HD, made in USA. I paid $75 for it and don't regret it.

I haven't noticed any in-lb wrenches that go that high either. They are usually 1/4in drive and top out somewhere in the 200's. Might want to look at a 3/8in drive which will likely be graduated in ft-lb and Nm.

29 ft/lbs should be well within spec for any decent 3/8" torque wrench. I can't imagine using a 1/4" wrench for that.

robert

I don't see him specifically asking for a 1/4" torque wrench... most 3/8" should be able to do 29 ft-lbs (as long full scale is
Some manufacturers call out in-lbs, ft-lbs, or Nm. I work for a helicopter company and everything is in-lbs. For example, 1/2" hardware is listed anywhere from 700-900 in-lbs... and yes, we get torque wrenches with only in-lb scales (1/4 and 3/8" drive) that go that high.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I don't see him specifically asking for a 1/4" torque wrench... most 3/8" should be able to do 29 ft-lbs (as long full scale is .

He specifically asked for an inch-lb wrench that goes into the 300's range, so not he didn't ask for 1/4" drive. But he did ask for a tool that pretty much doesn't exist. ;-)

That's why everyone's been saying just get a torque wrench (probably 3/8") that has 29-30 ft-lb in its accurate range. You wouldn't want to use a torque wrench that goes to 300 ft-lb and assume that it's very accurate at 1/10th its maximum, but a 120-ft-lb wrench should do fine at 30 ft-lb.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I don't see him specifically asking for a 1/4" torque wrench... most 3/8" should be able to do 29 ft-lbs (as long full scale is .

He specifically asked for an inch-lb wrench that goes into the 300's range, so not he didn't ask for 1/4" drive. But he did ask for a tool that pretty much doesn't exist. ;-)

That's why everyone's been saying just get a torque wrench (probably 3/8") that has 29-30 ft-lb in its accurate range. You wouldn't want to use a torque wrench that goes to 300 ft-lb and assume that it's very accurate at 1/10th its maximum, but a 120-ft-lb wrench should do fine at 30 ft-lb.

His post is edited, so maybe the wording has changed...

Either way, there are in-lb torque wrenches that go that high and higher... we use them every day to build helicopters (mostly SO stuff). You can get Nm, dual scale, whatever... the markings don't really matter as you can convert between them and use "any" wrench practically (within its useful range).

Let me put it another way:

If the requirement is like 5 in-lbs or something like 10 in-lbs (not exactly a multiple of 12 in-lbs = 1 ft-lbs, then you need the 1/4" TQ wrench up the the max of 1/4" TQ wrench ability.

Yes, there is a more accurate TQ wrench in in-lbs but it is not widely available and it is probably fairly expensive. As said above, for somebody building a helicopter with a more accurate requirement otherwise the helicopter can go down when flying.

For the OP purpose, 29 ft-lbs or 30 ft-lbs are still within the range of accuracy of a 3/8" TQ wrench.

If you have Harbor Freight nearby, they usually have a sale on TQ wrench. It is good enough for home/backyard mechanical uses unless you are using it for a professional career then you will want to get a more accurate tool like SnapOn or Matco or IR.

Just buy the harbor freight 3/8 wrench. They have been proven to be reliable and accurate and an amazing value for the price. Harbor Freight has cheap shipping too if you dont have a store local, so grab a few other things that you might need.

Harbor Freight torque wrenches are hit and miss. The first 1/2 drive did not work period. The second broke after the first lug nut torqued. The third has made it through one set of tires. You get what you pay for. I would buy the beam style over a Harbor Freight clicker any day. I still think that glowing review was a cherry picked.

I have a 3/8 snap on, 5 to 75 ft lbs. I edited my post for misspelled words. I figured it couldnt hurt to torque it to 29 ft lbs, but im just extremely particular when it comes to torque specs, so I'd rather torque it to 350 in lbs than 29, cause 350 in lbs =29.16 ft lbs, but I figured being off by a hair couldnt hurt. 29 ft lbs seems like it will do the job.

You do realize that most torque wrenches are +/- 4% on good days... most standard torque specs account for this (plus some usually). So your 350 in-lbs really could be 336-364 in-lbs.

If higher precision is required, other methods are employed then torque =~ strain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Anything over 240 inch pounds, you're looking at a dial wrench if you want to stay in inch pounds.

Why is this being repeated, over and over… I think I need to take pictures
smile.gif
They definitely make clicker torque wrenches with scales in in-lbs much higher than that for aerospace (Snap-On for example). Maybe not accessible to the average consumer though… I honestly have looked to much into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back