In Praise Of The Synthetic 5K Mile OCI In 5 QRT. Sump ?

Originally Posted by Rat407
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

* With a synthetic oil 5K OCI I notice less metal shavings in my plastic oil drain catcher afterwards versus 6K + OCI's .

Interesting. I never noticed metal shavings in my oil pan. I would think if you can see them then your engine is about to go.

*Extended drains = more metal shavings grit (very small - looks / feels like metal sand ) in my oil drain catcher plastic container with 5W30 ... I noticed even MORE metal shavings grit with 5W20 versus 5W30 in extended drains (unscientific test for sure but noted none the less) .

Originally Posted by onespiritbrain
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Let me put some perspective on this "waste" mindset based on my experience working in the grocery business.

It is estimated that at least 40% of what is sold in grocery stores in the United States ends up going to waste. Now is that a consumer problem or a retailer problem? I would submit to you that it is neither, I would say it has everything to do with the fact that products sold in grocery stores are massively overproduced because frankly that is how the producers sustain their livlihood. I am sure that the dairy farmers in my area don't care if their cows' milk goes into waste, they have their own families to feed and must sell the products of their industry to make ends meet.

Even a smaller oil company like Royal Purple massively overproduces their products as compared to demand but you can't sell what you don't produce so it really comes down to a numbers game of producing more than you will likely sell to give yourself the greatest opportunity to sell as much as possible at the retail level.

Welcome to capitalism, if you have a problem with "waste" try convincing the producers to take a haircut on their livlihoods or find a better way for them to cut production while maintaining or increasing profit.

Impressive. Not a single thing there is accurate. I suspect you were in the grocery bagging business.

I worked for Kroger, the largest grocer in the United States, and that information was provided by the National Resources Defense Council. Take it up with Kroger and the NRDC if you believe their information to be inaccurate.

I made that post to illustrate a point related to the "waste" of consumer products versus production of said products, not to share statistics on groceries. Furthermore in a follow-up post I related that I do not "waste" my motor oil because I recycle it. Put that in your engine and smoke it...

* With a synthetic oil 5K OCI I notice less metal shavings in my plastic oil drain catcher afterwards versus 6K + OCI's .

Interesting. I never noticed metal shavings in my oil pan. I would think if you can see them then your engine is about to go.

*Extended drains = more metal shavings grit (very small - looks / feels like metal sand ) in my oil drain catcher plastic container with 5W30 ... I noticed even MORE metal shavings grit with 5W20 versus 5W30 in extended drains (unscientific test for sure but noted none the less) .

Except for a small amount of glitter in the first oil change I haven't seen anything resembling metallic particles in the further oil changes.

The first change I expected it as it's typical for break in.

If you have shavings then something is wrong.

I worked for Kroger, the largest grocer in the United States, and that information was provided by the National Resources Defense Council. Take it up with Kroger and the NRDC if you believe their information to be inaccurate.

I made that post to illustrate a point related to the "waste" of consumer products versus production of said products, not to share statistics on groceries. Furthermore in a follow-up post I related that I do not "waste" my motor oil because I recycle it. Put that in your engine and smoke it...

Manufacturers of perishable goods don't over produce so they can make more money. They fill orders and plan production based on predictions they get from their customers while trying to cut it as close as possible so they don't lose money.

Don't cast a shadow on capitalism... Capitalism is the best thing that's ever happened to mankind other than Jesus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by onespiritbrain

Manufacturers of perishable goods don't over produce so they can make more money. They fill orders and plan production based on predictions they get from their customers while trying to cut it as close as possible so they don't lose money.

Don't cast a shadow on capitalism... Capitalism is the best thing that's ever happened to mankind other than Jesus.

You are getting waaaaay off track here, I was addressing people who think that 5000 mile oil change intervals are a waste of oil. If we're going to talk capitalism in the context of the thread topic I would spell it out in terms such as this.

I use my money to purchase oil. Oil becomes my property, if I want to use it for a 5k OCI that is my prerogative. If you want to buy the same oil and use it for 20,000 miles because you believe anything less is a "waste" that is your prerogative. The excess of oil products produced that never get used will likely go into what some would consider waste moreso than the oil I purchased and used for a 5k oci, either way the good news is that the used or unused oil products can be recycled for future usage.

And I will say whatever I want about state sponsored usury, otherwise known as capitalism, as it is not compatible with Jesus [censored]. Thank you and have a nice day
smile.gif

With my Escape, I do a weird mix of short trips and severe service driving so I like to do my oil changes about 7500 miles with synthetic.

I've done 12k+ in the Escape with off the shelf synthetics with Blackstone reports to prove the lube had plenty of life left. But that was 90%+ highway driving which I don't do anymore. I'm sure with Amsoil I could have done 25k intervals.

I just bought the Suburban so I haven't decided yet but since I'll be short-tripping that a lot I'll probably do 7500mi OCIs as well.

Neither of these vehicles are hard on oil. If I had a GDI or Turbo engine I'd do 5K OCIs for sure.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in the theory of laying down a tribofilm barrier and I'm sure there's a good number of you out there that believe the same. If it takes a few or several thousand miles to develop said film, why would you go and wipe it away one or two thousand miles after it's developed? Also, why are 5 qt.sumps considered small when a large majority of passenger car engines are between say 1.5 to 3.0 liters? If it sufficed for 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines wouldn't it suffice for today's smaller engines? And why are people buying these Korean cars if the oil needs changing at 3700 miles or even the 1.5 Honda turbos with fuel dilution issues? Surely there are better options out there.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Except for a small amount of glitter in the first oil change I haven't seen anything resembling metallic particles in the further oil changes.

The first change I expected it as it's typical for break in.

If you have shavings then something is wrong.

100%

Here in Michigan with the road salt the vehicle is in pretty rough shape at 200k miles (around twelve years old)...the engine isn't the issue. I do agree with the 5000mi OCI on DI engines.

Years ago (20?) I was doing 3,000 mile oil changes and I had a friend that would take my old oil and use it in his beater VW Golf, he did replace the oil filter though. I thought he was crazy at the time.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Years ago (20?) I was doing 3,000 mile oil changes and I had a friend that would take my old oil and use it in his beater VW Golf, he did replace the oil filter though. I thought he was crazy at the time.

I had a neighbor over 30 years ago that would take the waste oil from both my vans and use it his Chevy C-10. He was going through oil at a rate of a quart about every 200 miles or so in that pile of garbage. It was win win for both of us. I recycled oil, he saved money.

*Not a Korean car issue - all GDI / turbo gas engines have
Originally Posted by madeej11
I'm a believer in the theory of laying down a tribofilm barrier and I'm sure there's a good number of you out there that believe the same. If it takes a few or several thousand miles to develop said film, why would you go and wipe it away one or two thousand miles after it's developed? Also, why are 5 qt.sumps considered small when a large majority of passenger car engines are between say 1.5 to 3.0 liters? If it sufficed for 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines wouldn't it suffice for today's smaller engines? And why are people buying these Korean cars if the oil needs changing at 3700 miles or even the 1.5 Honda turbos with fuel dilution issues? Surely there are better options out there.

Not all of the GDI call for that short of an OCI. My F150 happily goes to 10k and the mustang goes to at least 7500 and usually closer o 10k

If it's not a Korean car issue then why do they seem to be the only ones recommending a 3,700 mile oci. It's in the owners manual right? I understand that gdi and turbos wreak havoc on engine oil but I would just turn my back on those makes of cars that require such restrictive oci's. I would just buy a vehicle that allows at least a 6-7.5 k interval going by the olm or better yet maybe a Toyota at 10k oci.

I just spent some time researching and couldn't find anything about the film layer breaking down or washing away when fresh oil is introduced. My intuition says keeping fresh film forming molecules in contact with the already formed layer will sustain the layer rather than degrading it. It should be noted that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

*Are those optimal OCI's with a GDI engine ? ... Maybe / Maybe not .
Originally Posted by BeerCan
Not all of the GDI call for that short of an OCI. My F150 happily goes to 10k and the mustang goes to at least 7500 and usually closer o 10k

Wrong - it's actually 3,750 miles for severe service in the Hyundai / Kia OM's (lol !) ... Normal Service Schedule is 7,500 miles - the debate is "what is normal service" ? Split the difference and you arrive at the 5K mile OCI .

If it's not a Korean car issue then why do they seem to be the only ones recommending a 3,700 mile oci. It's in the owners manual right? I understand that gdi and turbos wreak havoc on engine oil but I would just turn my back on those makes of cars that require such restrictive oci's. I would just buy a vehicle that allows at least a 6-7.5 k interval going by the olm or better yet maybe a Toyota at 10k oci.

Cost of your engine and car should be part of every oil change program. Also running thousands of miles on the freeway vs short trips and city driving makes a huge difference.
An M96 porsche engine rebuild is going to be 12000 to 18000 dollars. A bmw v8 engine rebuild about the same. A toyota 1.8 liter 4 cyl or ford small v8 will be 3000 to 5000. So base your protection on what your protecting.
You have 1500 dollars in shotgun and deer hunting rifles a 8000 dollar gun safe makes little sense.
A jeweler with 4 million in diamonds and watches requires a lot more safe investment.

Although an older topic, I also agree with the OP.
I’ve gone much, much longer and had engines survive; but for optimum engine performance, the OP is right.
With how relatively inexpensive engine oil is generally, stretching oil to its last legs is pointless IMHO.

Back