In Praise Of The Synthetic 5K Mile OCI In 5 QRT. Sump ?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by gfh77665
[ Any more "brainacs" want to challenge me on this?

Well, that's ironic

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
If you take that $4 and put it in a Roth IRA, and then wait 20 years, you should have somewhere near double digit earnings.

$4.00 would turn into $18.75 assuming your investment returned 8% for 20 years....almost enough to buy a 5qt jug of QSUD at today's prices
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BeerCan
Extend your drain and air your tires. Think of the savings ...

I'm more of a extend your tires, air your drains kind of guy...am I doing it wrong?...‚

Wifey's TSX has almost 200K; the engine internals are spotless. I never check the oil. I would drive the car to NY right now without a care.
I did 5K OCIs in the early years; then defaulted to the maintenence minder.
Usually changed at 20% or 15%. Probably 6K to 7K OCIs.

Probably coulda gone further...
Mostly M1 5w30, some 5w20. M1 or Wix filters. Now using XG7317

Yup I change oil @5000 miles regardless.

I even use the Ford 820S oil filter without issues, all working for me 🤣....

Originally Posted by AlienBug

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Extending an OCI from 5k to 7.5k will result in a cost savings of one -third, which is well more than you will save by airing up tires, and hardly "too small to calculate."

But I infer you are even less interested in math than you are in information.

Lets do some "rough math" Ace.

1/3 of a $12 OC is a whole $4. (And NO, thats not some junk oil.) But to be totally safe lets say the oil cost $15. We are now up to a whopping $5. With me so far?

Now, READ THIS:

In fact, fuel efficiency is reduced by 1% for every 3.0 PSI that its tires are below recommended levels. That means that if you could always tell, at a glance, when you were low - you would really save money.

Save up to $65/yr on gas and $5/yr by increasing your tire life, by having properly inflated tires.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy under inflated tires wastes 4 million gallons of gasoline daily, or nearly 1.5 billion gallons annually.

http://rightpsi.com/saving-money/

$65 AIR SAVINGS PER YEAR + $5/yr tire life = FAR MORE than $5 "saved" for an extended OC interval.

Airing up tires to the correct levels BLOWS AWAY extending OC intervals for savings realized. Any more "brainacs" want to challenge me on this?

Airing up tires is free, Changing oil isn't.

How bout that.

Plus its about wasting resources.

Do we have unlimited oil ? NO.

Do we use a load of it annually ? YES

Are we generally moronic , spoiled and wasteful Stateside?

YES.

Last edited:
Hate to tell you but the states don't hold the patent on being wasteful. Just saying.

Aww.

Doesn't change the fact that We are generally selfish and wasteful.

We need tough love to get us in the right place. A reality check.

This "leave it for our great grandkids" mentality ain't working.

Ah yes, the I feel guilt so therefore everyone is guilty argument. So in fashion right now

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by camryrolla
The 3Kers and the 5Kers need to spend more time in the UOA section and get themselves educated on how to extend their OCI. Extended drain to a certain point makes for less wastes and less works.

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Multiply that by the nearly a billion oil changes in the States over a year and it could be seen as a massive waste of non renewable resources.
Unless you are peddling that Texas Tea
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Then its just Dandy
smile.gif

Let me put some perspective on this "waste" mindset based on my experience working in the grocery business.

It is estimated that at least 40% of what is sold in grocery stores in the United States ends up going to waste. Now is that a consumer problem or a retailer problem? I would submit to you that it is neither, I would say it has everything to do with the fact that products sold in grocery stores are massively overproduced because frankly that is how the producers sustain their livlihood. I am sure that the dairy farmers in my area don't care if their cows' milk goes into waste, they have their own families to feed and must sell the products of their industry to make ends meet.

Even a smaller oil company like Royal Purple massively overproduces their products as compared to demand but you can't sell what you don't produce so it really comes down to a numbers game of producing more than you will likely sell to give yourself the greatest opportunity to sell as much as possible at the retail level.

Welcome to capitalism, if you have a problem with "waste" try convincing the producers to take a haircut on their livlihoods or find a better way for them to cut production while maintaining or increasing profit.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

* With a synthetic oil 5K OCI I notice less metal shavings in my plastic oil drain catcher afterwards versus 6K + OCI's .

Interesting. I never noticed metal shavings in my oil pan. I would think if you can see them then your engine is about to go.

...and if you want to talk about waste...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49906062

Shell has been forced to burn off "significant" volumes of ethane because it cannot sell it to a firm that has temporarily shut down its plant with flaring issues in Fife.

Residents living near the Mossmorran site thought flaring would be reduced after Exxonmobil closed in August.

However, flares have continued to burn because Shell's only ethane customer is Exxonmobil, which shares the site.

Shell said it was "actively exploring alternative ethane outlets".

Exxonmobil chose to temporarily close its plant to undertake maintenance on its boilers.

Shell's Fife Natural Gas Liquids plant separates natural gas liquids into ethane, propane, butane and natural gasoline for storage and onward distribution.

It sells its ethane to Exxonmobil's neighbouring Fife Ethylene plant, which turns it into ethylene.

Since the Fife Ethylene Plant was temporarily closed down Shell said it "did not have the storage capacity for the significant quantities of ethane produced from North Sea gas".

Ah yes, the I feel guilt so therefore everyone is guilty argument. So in fashion right now

Not a fashion, a proper lifestyle. No Politics, and it shouldn't be.

People have devolved into the generally careless and selfish and miseducated over the past two decades.

I've been watching since the 50's.

Its been quite a while since that Indigenous American cried in that TV ad as dolts tossed trash out their car window.

We cleaned up our act for a while, now we are back into the dump again.

Just driving the last 2 miles to my home I see 100's of lbs of trash strew along my country road.

We clean it up and it takes hours sometimes days.

What the >blank< is wrong with with people?!

I keep saying i'll go ~5k with the KIA, but haven't gotten up the nerve. Will do so next oil change. No reason not to.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Let me put some perspective on this "waste" mindset based on my experience working in the grocery business.

It is estimated that at least 40% of what is sold in grocery stores in the United States ends up going to waste. Now is that a consumer problem or a retailer problem? I would submit to you that it is neither, I would say it has everything to do with the fact that products sold in grocery stores are massively overproduced because frankly that is how the producers sustain their livlihood. I am sure that the dairy farmers in my area don't care if their cows' milk goes into waste, they have their own families to feed and must sell the products of their industry to make ends meet.

Even a smaller oil company like Royal Purple massively overproduces their products as compared to demand but you can't sell what you don't produce so it really comes down to a numbers game of producing more than you will likely sell to give yourself the greatest opportunity to sell as much as possible at the retail level.

Welcome to capitalism, if you have a problem with "waste" try convincing the producers to take a haircut on their livlihoods or find a better way for them to cut production while maintaining or increasing profit.

Impressive. Not a single thing there is accurate. I suspect you were in the grocery bagging business.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Not a fashion, a proper lifestyle. No Politics, and it shouldn't be.

People have devolved into the generally careless and selfish and miseducated over the past two decades.

I've been watching since the 50's.

Its been quite a while since that Indigenous American cried in that TV ad as dolts tossed trash out their car window.

We cleaned up our act for a while, now we are back into the dump again.

Just driving the last 2 miles to my home I see 100's of lbs of trash strew along my country road.

We clean it up and it takes hours sometimes days.

What the >blank< is wrong with with people?!

I actually agree with your position. I hate litter and waste and I regularly pick up trash on/in on the local trails and parks and do what I can to save resources.

I just hate when things are stated as Americans are more wasteful or when terms like everyone or we are used. There are many people like you and I who are doing are part, however small or large it is..

I travel a lot and I see waste and trash in many countries, so it's not just Americans. That's all I am saying, it is a global issue.

BTW that guy in the commercial was not an Indian, he was an American of Italian decent who posed as an Indian. His name was Espera de Corti and that commercial was somewhat of a sham. The Keep America Beautiful campaign was backed by many corporations that were wagging their fingers at people and at the same time doing everything they could to keep real environmental policies from being enacted. Much like the tobacco commercials of today that give the cigarette companies plausible deniability.

Anyway, not to turn this into a policy debate or political discussion I wont keep droning on about this.

tl;dr
I agree with you, just not the way you stated it.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif
I knew I was in good company. I've had this conversation with a good Bitog friend more than once over the years. Our thoughts on the topic are identical.

I think the OP makes a good point in that most passenger cars have smallish sumps. Now if I had a 12 or 13qt sump where the primary filter is the size of a Titan rocket alongside bypass filtration and the majority of my miles were highway...sure, i might consider 10, 15 or even 20k intervals. But most of my miles, aside from the summer months, are NOT highway.. they're city driving. Stop/go...to the store and back. To the kids football game and back.. that's it. And while I don't have a DI engine, blow by and some fuel dilution is still a very real "thing" for even the venerable port injected engine....

* Smallesh oil sumps ( * Mixed driving
* GDI / Turbo

Contributing factors to embracing the 5K mile OCI ...

Back